1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official Bit-Tech F1 2009 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 18 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like it. Personally I love that determined style. He seems like a great guy and he's pretty quick. Hopefully we'll see him in a Toyota seat next year.

2. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Well, yeah, he does need to hold back a bit. But as GOO said, he is very determined, and that's something I personally find lacking in quite a few drivers these days :)

3. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Maybe Kobayashi can bring back some of that Montoya magic that I loved so much...

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Kobayashi seemed a bit mad out there... but determined. I like determined.
    I must admit that i was slightly nervous when seeing Jense pulling in alongside Grosjean... that boy has also almost made it a habbit to tug sideways a bit...
    Mind - there were a couple of places where Rubens seemed a bit weavy as well... almost overcooking it into another car (can't recall who, though... but replay showed it was rubens that swerved), and in the one incident his braking was also VERY shaky.
    but hey - it's racing. Doesn't really matter how you get there (honestly is good), but more THAT you get there...
    as an ooooold german formula driver used to say: "Am Ende wird zamma g'zählt" - "it all gets added up in the end" - meaning consistency is more important that once off superstardom.

5. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

Anyone know a good place to read the official 2010 rules?

Im very turned off by the no refuelling next year. A ton of the excitement that made this year so great came from the pits, such a shame to see it go.

6. Krikkit

A lot of the places which have the rules for 2010 are from back in April, when they were talking about a two-tier system, so I'm not sure which bits still apply.

A summary from what I reckon is still around will be:
    1) No KERS from the FOTA teams
    2) Back to crappy low-fuel-only qualifying instead of the exciting one we have now
    3) No race refuelling
    4) No tyre warmers
    5) Narrower front tyres to combat the sensitivity of the cars to ballast
    6) Aero limitations to reduce the chances of tyre damage

Most of that is gleaned from memory and here (interestingly the person that wrote it thinks it'll be amazing next year with all the action firmly on-track).

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

8. Krikkit

That's old now GOO - the two-tier thing has been scrapped hasn't it? Instead FOTA are leading with a raft of measures to reduce costs gradually. That was the major sticking point for FOTA during the breakaway thing, because the freedoms would give you 5-10s a lap apparently.

9. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I thought so, I mean that's what all the furore was about mid-season, so I doubt that they'd still be doing that. Although you did have me worried for a second there...

10. GreatOldOne

I dunno - that's all I could find. There's nothing on the official F1 website.

11. alastor

alastor Minimodder

12. Krikkit

I do like browsing the tech regs for motorsport... Especially for touring cars. It's so fascinating what you're allowed to alter.

13. ridiculous

Its amazing reading the rule book to see what is forbidden especially because it probably means someone at some point has tried it.

14. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Liquid cooling was used as a 'cheat'. Basically the car had a tank of water to 'cool' the brakes but dumped the water on the parade lap, allowing the car to run under weight for the race.

Apart from the fact the engines rev to 18,000RPM they are from the Jurassic era.

IIRC tyre warmers are no longer banned for next year.

15. Krikkit

Even if the liquid coolant was counted like fuel, as an addition the minimum weight, they'd be problematic. Not only would you have the cars going quite a bit faster without any real brake ducting, but you'd also get plumes of steam in braking zones... Not ideal for first corner shenanigans!

The rules are pretty antiquated, but they're comprehensive enough that the sport gets along just fine. Why change what isn't broken?

If you set it out in simple terms an F1 car should be a pretty easy thing to build... 32 valve 90' V8, all the block sizes are restricted, even VVT's outlawed. Simple inlet and exhaust manifolds, along with pretty clear mounting regs, CoG regs etc.

Imo the most alien thing in an F1 car is the gearbox. Seamless shift witchcraft hurts my brain... :(

And yes identikit, tyre warmers look like they're permitted; Section 27.4 of the SR's.

Interesting how they're not allowed to cover anything up either - engines, gearboxes, body parts, the whole lot have to be uncovered.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2009
  16. ridiculous

Yeah i cant imagine cooling the brakes around 1800 degrees with water.

After reading that rule book it amazes me that the cars are as close performing as they are today.

17. GreatOldOne

This article underlines just how impressive Brawn have been all season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/10/the_remarkable_story_of_brawn.html

It's well worth a read.

I tell you what though - if that car was a comprimised botch job - sign me up for comprimised botch jobs! :)

Makes you wonder what it would have been like with Honda power. And what next's season's car will be like, designed around the Merc lump. I just hope they haven't completely focused on this season like McLaren did last year, and haven't put enough time into the the Championship defending car. Fingers crossed! ;)

18. Krikkit

Read that one the other day, very interesting tbh. Just goes to show that a determined aero designer really can get this spot-on, even with a tiny budget for the rest of the car.

19. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

IIRC they use water cooled brakes in Aussie V8's. Not as fast but heavier so the brakes still take a pounding. Water cooled brakes are also used in truck racing, but that's just a mad sport anyway.....

20. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Last edited: 22 Oct 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.