1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 4th Dream PC unveiled - Kobalt Daedalus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 21 Oct 2009.

1. Neoplasmic

Neoplasmic What's a Dremel?

Yep, you're dead right there. I believe SCAN also stated this in their writeup of the Jellyfish. I'm sure Kobalt would be happy to put some more RAM in there, but it would be at the cost of some overclocking on the CPU.

2. keepwhatyagot

keepwhatyagot What's a Dremel?

Similar spec maybe, I bet they could build a system the same as yours for a lot less as well but this is not "Build it at home PC 2009", its "Dream PC 2009";-) Look at the chassis alone - I recon the case must cost over a grand by itself, someone else said carbon panels are probably ££££ (dunno exact dimensions but prob over £300 per panel from what i've seen on the internet), acrylic TEC boxes etc etc etc.

3. HighOctane

HighOctane What's a Dremel?

Isn't this competition supposed to be about 'innovation', 'originality', 'performance' and essentially producing something the general enthusiast couldn't do for himself. Sure TEC is smart but is it actually any different to water cooling, looks very much like standard water cooling to me, and performance figures are the same as for a standard water cooled setup, so why the extra £4k!!?? It looks nice though, but then i could buy a lot fo things that look nicer than a PC for a lot less than £10k. The Cryo has its issues but at least im getting an awesome clock speed for my money...

Having said that all these guys sink a ton of money, time and headaches into developing this stuff to entertain us and should be applauded for their efforts!!

As for Scan, i'd need sunglasses and headache pills to keep that in the corner of my room, well, what were the judging panel thinking of?!...

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I've only seen one low-res pic of the Scan entry but GOD was it ever ugleh!

5. Neoplasmic

Neoplasmic What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow: What's the point in having a 4.7ghz overclock when they had to turn the hyperthreading off :duh: to (assumedly) make it stable? Plus, the cryo actually LOST to the Kobalt machine in WPrime and Cinebench by quite a margin.

Plus if you look at the temperatures of the SCAN and Kobalt (especially, seeing as they re-wired and essentially, overclocked their TEC units) machines, the figures speak for themselves. Add to that the fact that phase-change units make the system sound like it has a small, aerospace grade turbine in it, i just can't see how anyone can justify purchasing the Cryo PC.

6. HighOctane

Good point! My guess is that at -40C vs the slightly lower than ambient cooling of the Kobalt stability isn't an issue HT on or off as they have had these systems at 5GHz i believe so 4.7GHz should be relatively modest, would be nice to have it verified though. I read in another CPC article that HT is one of those things that works, for gaming loads of people were turning it off as it added no benefit. WPrime and Cinebench do benefit from more cores, so logically its winning because it has 8 cores vs the Cryo's 4. Cos clock for clock, the Cryo should clearly always be quicker as it demolished them all in the CPC Image and Multitasking Bench scores, and the memory is clocked higher iirc, ie so why wouldn't it be? Pity they didn't think to turn HT on for all PC's?? Seems the obvious thing to do cant compare apples to pears etc...probably cba syndrome kicking in.

7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It's not a case of cba syndrome at all - we didn't enable HT on the Cryo PC because that's how they configured it, and we were reviewing their system, i.e. their choice of hardware/software/settings, not trying to find the best overclock. If we started changing settings then we wouldn't be reviewing a Cryo PC product anymore.

8. HighOctane

Was being flippant actually... ;)

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

No probs... it's pretty hard to tell on a forum unless you know the person writing pretty well.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I still don't think any of these systems is worth as much as it costs. They sure are amazing builds and I'd kill for the hardware in them but building it yourself is just so much nicer.

It's good to see what out there though, if for inspirational reasons only.

11. Dr_Encore

Dr_Encore Scan Great White Lover!

Having looked at all the pcs again and again, i think custom pc have been really biased as this should be the winner for so many reasons. Scans is ugly and doesnt even have incredible hardware, this case> and its just awesome, i hope next year its fair

12. clik

clik What's a Dremel?

I have to agree...the "minus points" that were brought up were pretty lame, and easily overcome. tbh, ANY watercooled pc needs a certain amount of maintenance, dust being the major culprit...but this seems as tho it would be the easiest to clean!...if there was any major probs with the airflow, surely the temperatures would show it....and spillages! omfg! thats just crazy talk!!!!

Imo, it has the most innovative case design, and although the components are similar to Scan's, there is much more power to the overclocking..even the tecs were overclocked...hence the second psu (shame on cpc for not making that clear!). Considering it is £2k LESS than the "wellyboot", i think i'd be able to afford usb hub!

Kobalt for winner.....I demand a recount!

13. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

+1

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

+2

Revolt! :p

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

All PCs need maintenance not least of all to remove dust but when the whole PC is essentially open with no dust filters, things are going to get covered pretty quickly and would quickly become a pain in the rear end.

As for spillages, well you might consider us crazy until it does actually happen and we have to take that into account. You might have a food/drink ban in your PC room but plently of people don't and therein lies the problem. They might be dream PCs but they are PCs none the less and they need to be useable. If I went within 2m of it with a drink I'd be worried. The case is also very sharp on many of the edges which lead to at least one cut hand so combined with lack of USB ports (I certainly wouldn't want to have an ugly USB hub stuck on top of it) it was mainly usability that it lost marks on. The Scan is a much more complete package.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

okay so since almost every rig listed in this top rigs have almost the same hardware and TEC system, I have one question what is that TEC system called and where can I find one, or if I have to build one can someone link to the parts?

17. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

All the TEC parts came from Coolit in Canada
    I believe that both Scan and Kobalt had custom systems made.

18. andrew@kobalt

andrew@kobalt What's a Dremel?

Yup, we first started looking into this specific solution about 6 months ago, most of the components are the same as can be found on a CoolIT Elite or Boreas. Ours is differernt to SCANs in that we used modified control software and power distribution to increase the performance. If anyone is interested we can provide all the components seperately for a self build or supply a pre-built system depending on the power and space requirements:)

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I would certainly be interested in such information and links to the products, that would be awesome.

20. HighOctane

They must be listening, watching, whatever:

http://www.cryopc.co.uk/dream_pc.htm

so we have an answer, not surprisingly 4.7GHz with HT enabled, it's a clear winner. :jawdrop:

Tags: Add Tags