1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official Bit-Tech F1 2009 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 18 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What a tit.

2. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

In fairness it's probably just part of his game to get the best deal for him. Though I do not doubt he would follow through and have no British GP if Silverstone doesn't comply.

3. Krikkit

I know he's just angling for a good deal, but talk like that just angries up folks against Bernie. It's just not worth the bad press imo.

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Bernie doesn't care. He can't care, as he's lost his marbles and needs his nurse to tell him to stop dribbling most of the time.

Only somebody with serious psycological problems would state that they don't need a British GP - when the last WDC was British, the new WDC is British, the Manufacturers title is British, the event makes money (unlike some) & the vast majority of the teams are based in Britain.

Could you imagine there not being a German GP when Schumi was champion? or a Spanish GP when Alonso was champion? No.

It's been said over and over again - the British GP is a sell out every year. Can the same be said of the Tilkedromes in the Far East? The Abu Dabi event is only a sell out due to curiosity. I bet it won't be next year.... (look what happend in Shanghi and KL)

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, but how much does a.n.other Arab or Asian billionaire throw him compared to the drivers club at Silverstone?

Bernies bottom line is what makes the calender.

6. GreatOldOne

What isn't widely known is that the asking price per GP has gone up. Last year Silverstone paid the Ecclestroll circa £16m for the privilage of holding the race. Next year? £22m.

So, in the greatest economic turndown the world has seen for nigh on 80-odd years, where the teams are told to cut costs, Bernard sticks the price up by 6 mil? Incredible.

Silverstone are trying to get a discount, as Monza and Monaco do due to their status as 'traditional' GPs.

I'd say that Silverstone is a traditional venue. After all, it did host the very first GP of the modern era back in 1950, and has held the race 45 times!

7. Krikkit

Agreed GOO. For reasons which I can't quite fathom Bernie's been trying to bin the British GP for years.

8. GreatOldOne

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I honestly cant understand bernies hatred for the british GP, Yes it might not be as profitable as the oil barons circuits, but its by far more popular,interesting and exciting than any off them imo. The whole reason i watch F1 is to watch the greatest drivers in the greatest cars, battle it out on tracks that allow them to do so!!

Am i right in thinking the reasoning behind having odd race times for the far eastern races is to make it easier for europe to watch them?

Ive only missed 1 race live this season (barcelona due to my daughter being born on race day). Because of this im not so sure ill watch all the live races next year, Several races this year have robbed me of 2 hours of my life that could have been better spent. You know things are going the wrong way when qualifying has more excitement than the race!!

10. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

BE's all talk - the man is a master of brinkmanship. I mean, the US and the Soviets could have taken a few lessons from the guy. Honestly, I don't think he'll drop the British GP, he is too wiry to know the UK forms a good chunk of the core audience.

Anyways, any news on Indianapolis being back on the calendar yet?

11. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

PRETTY PLEASE!:baby:

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Dear god, YES! I know folks across the pond have very little respect for this race, but it's the only way I might ever get to see a race.

13. Krikkit

Indianapolis is the worst track evar tbh. Bloody awful.

I sympathise that you won't get to see a race, but that track is even more of a parade than monaco tbh.

14. identikit

identikit Minimodder

IIRC the BritishGP was one of the few to turn a profit this year :sigh:

15. GreatOldOne

Yas Marina:

So the pit lane exit is actually not a tunnel, but a Death Star trench run? :)

16. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

I suspect the crowd won't be quite as rowdy as the video suggests!

17. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I downloaded the Yas Marina track for Race07, It hasnt got the pit tunnel mmthingy but the rest of the track looks about right from the mappings ive seen.

Its a surprisingly good track to race around, obviously its only a game, But driving my Ferrari 360 GTC around it was right up there with my favourites (spa,monza,kyalami etc..)

Some of the corners are soo hard to get perfect, mainly the chicane after the really long straight it seems that bags of time can be made up by getting it spot on.

The only problem is its never going to be as good as i want it to in real life, Ill give it every chance, theres potentially plenty of places to overtake, Could this be the only new track thats actually worth watching?

18. GreatOldOne

Gillett is using the old 'cheques in the post' excuse:

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5656668,00.html

If it was that easy to raise 12mil to sort Bernie out, why did you leave it soooo late, Simon? And have you got the money to set the circuit right now? Hmmmm.

Besides, he's in breach of contract regardless of wether the cash has been paid.

19. GreatOldOne

Bernie not interested in Gillet, his money or Donny now:

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5658725,00.html

Fingers crossed on Silverstone negotiations... Announcement at Yas? We can hope!

20. GreatOldOne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.