1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Isis Ascendant - October 27th, Crystal indicator lights

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by longwing, 4 Jun 2009.

1. longwing

longwing What's a Dremel?

October 27th - Indicator Lights

Thanks. I don't have much of a sample set to compare it too, but I'm happy with it for now. I'll admit that I'm surprised by the stability of the temperatures. Even after running games for hours, they barley budge a degree. Overclocking will definitely be a future element of this project.

As I mentioned last week, I'm not done. There's a lot of little details to stamp out.

For this week, I decided to deal with one final lighting element. Namely, the power and hard-drive indicators.

You may recall my earlier posts involving Mana Potions? Well here's where I finish that particular thought.

First off, I cut holes into the bottoms of the two epoxied bottle caps:
    [​IMG]

I'd originally wanted to just drill small pilot holes for the cables, but the silicone sealant wasn't cooperating with my attempts to cut it, so I decided on a more... extensive approach:
    [​IMG]

Large holes or small, I got what I wanted, the ability to screw the bulbs into the instrument panel:
    [​IMG]

Thus giving me two nice, clean installs. These bulbs need to be spruced up a bit, but at least the installs look good:
    [​IMG]

I intend to add some copper cladding, to hide the silicone in the shaft, but I couldn't have asked for a better fit on the panel connection:
    [​IMG]

The results are pretty hard to argue with too :D :
    [​IMG]

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That is one of the best power LEDs that I have ever see, looks great mate, especially with the quartz in there.

3. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Hey, I used to work for Puget Systems! I'm still in touch with the owner, the oil cooling kit was his baby. I'll make sure he finds this thread, he'll love it.

A word of caution: I didn't work with the oil cooled rig as much as others in the office, so they may correct me later, but I believe the oil wicks down the INSIDE of the wires between the insulation and the wire itself. It's all good and pretty until you come to work and discover your mouse is leaking. Or the keyboard is dead. The oil gets into the switches in the keys, and since it's an insulator it prevents the keyboard from detecting key presses. I think we killed three in three months before we figured it out. It was our single biggest headache with the whole assembly.

The paper towels clipped to the wires is a good idea, but I don't think it's going to cut it. Maybe try it with cheap equipment, but don't plug your $$$$ gamer's mouse into it at first. Really do consider going wireless as much as possible.

A second word of warning, since it looks like you're about to fill it - it gets HEAVY once it's filled, and extremely difficult to move. If it's filled enough to cover the motherboard, you're also really close to slopping over the sides. We had to drain the tank at least half way if we wanted to move it further than a couple of feet. And since you've loosely connected another large section to the tank, I'm guessing it's going to be worse for you. Think before you fill it up!

I'll point the rest of the Puget crew in your direction. This thing rocks. :)