1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows I'm glad for the CoD MW2 server policy

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Higson92, 25 Oct 2009.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

QFT

So am I.

If people want the easy-access, homogenised, one-size-fits-all experience (albeit at extra expense) they can opt for consoles. If you want customised variety and quality, opt for PC gaming - and don't purchase (or pirate) any games that are working against this ethos.

An accurate, if not exactly snappy, analogy!

2. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

People whinging about server rules need to find another one with rules they like, and admins they like, or set up their own and run the server the way they want it.

While your on someone elses server play by the way they want you to or stfu and move on. If the admin is being a dick, move on or suck it up.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Give the man some rep! :thumb:

4. NoMod

NoMod What's a Dremel?

This is the problem, the 'servers' are not going to be owned by cod (by which I assume you meant IW/Activision) - do you really think they are gonna pay to run and maintain 1000's of dedicated servers for you to play on? No.

THERE ARE NO SERVERS

IWnet is not a network of dedicated servers for you to play on, it's a peer to peer matchmaking service, YOU will be hosting the game on your own limited bandwidth and crappy upload speeds - just like X-boz users currently do. It kinda works ok on the x-box because (apart from most x-box gamers not knowing any better) the boxes are all the same inside, not so with PCs. Everyone has different processors, memory, networks routers etc resulting in different hosting capabilities and making smooth p2p connections much harder. If you have ever played Zombie or Co-op mode on COD:WAW you will know what I mean, now imagine every gametype using this system but with more than just four players causing lag.

The most a typical UK/US broadband will handle is 5v5 matchs without getting very laggy, not to mention the advantage the host will have with a ping of 0, or having to migrate hosts when you kill him and he emoragequits. No more 50-man TDM hardcore servers or whatever your poison is, just stock crappy 'play what they tell you to play' gamemodes. If you live in anywhere else in the world or somewhere with crappy broadband then enjoy paying £35 for a few hours of single player.

It is a technological step backwards which will result in diminished gameplay with fewer people per match and far lower quality than a dedicated server box can provide regardless of who runs it. Nevermind the wider implications on the competitive community which this move by IW effectively kills stone dead. No mods (PAM, promod etc) means no competitions, period. The only logical reason for going backwards like this is to charge for DLC and to control every aspect of online gameplay, and if any of the other recent p2p using games is anything to go by it will be a total failure.

As a COD4/5 admin myself I sympathise with your fustration at having rules enforced upon you, but, in our defense you don't HAVE to play on our/those servers that have rules, there are PLENTY of no rules servers around for you to play on. Or, you could try not swearing and being abusive and get to know the regulars and you might find yourself actually having fun.

Also you really can't complain about being kicked by a swear filter, they warn you several times before kicking you, I can only assume you cannot read the messages because you are too busy insulting people.

So, are you really telling me that you are glad about this move? As it stands, there is no difference between the PC version and the x-box version of this game, it's a lazy console port - you might as well just buy an x-box. I for one will not be buying this game until they put in dedicated servers (which I don't think they will).

I am glad you are glad, enjoy your 5v5 laggfests and disconnected games...

Last edited: 28 Oct 2009
    M7ck, barndoor101 and CardJoe like this.
  5. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Recently played on a TF2 server with no swearing. BEST SERVER EVER!! No little kids yelling at you ( well not for long ) and everyone swapping recipes while fragging.

Being an admin is a thankless job as you only see them when they are enforcing the rules you agreed to play by when you joined that server.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

+REP

7. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Biggest gripe i have has to be the ping advantage host the will get, ludicrous.

It's gotta be a money making decision, makes me laugh that i sat lapping up all the reviews people were giving on xbox live videos. All the games devs were spouting how they listened to the fans and gave them exactly what they want???
    It really seems to be a massive just backwards for gaming, from a utopia of freedom and choice, to some kind of a police state where your getting humped up the a$$ with their truncheon and they're making £money£ out of it and just laughing at you.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2009
  8. NoMod

NoMod What's a Dremel?

Thank you Joe ;) I felt I had to get that stuff off my chest...

9. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

Having read this entire thread, a thought occurs to me. FPS gamers are notoriously twitchy about behaviour on servers so imagine gaming on IWNET where you are getting popped by an average player with a zero ping, whilst you warp around the map dancing to a 220ms delay. Then factor in that bunnyhopping / spawnkilling / camping will all be allowed and acceptable. . . .
    some players' heads are literally going to explode with anger and frustration!!

good thread but i have to agree with the general concensus that players like Higson92 (who betray many a stereotype with profile pictures like that :p) are just not going to cope with the new arrangement in online gameplay, and in fact its a sorry day when i cannot set up my own server to play with level headed adults and enjoy the game as intended.