1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Red, White, and Blackie...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gabriel_d7, 21 Sep 2009.

1. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

And of course, the goodies...

[​IMG]
    Thanks to my uncle, who gave me a reward after getting my scholarship in school a couple of months ago... I was able to buy myself these twin hotties.
    *sigh* If I can only do SLI on my mobo. :D

My mobo doesnt support SLI, but it's ok. One is actually for Violet, and one for Blackie.
    [​IMG]
    And yes, this is the digital temp monitor I bought from the most popular "modder's merchant" living in the same city.

[​IMG]
    And these are the other stuff that my sweet, personal sponsor, Sacredirt77{also registered in this site}, bought for me when she was here on vacation. Also purchased from the same modder's merchant.

And a package came a few days ago, straight from Singapore, coming from my same personal sponsor...
    [​IMG]
    CCFL extension wires
    [​IMG]
    A pair of OCZ Reapers... 1066mhz 4gb Rams.
    [​IMG]
    640gb Western Digital hard drive.

[​IMG]
    And Fireflies...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm glad I'm so loved. :D

[​IMG]
    80 percent complete... I know, it's a little tight. Hopefully, I can work around this. It's difficult though, having 2 power supplies and a really small case. :D
    You'll notice that the wires arent sleeved, instead, I used wire wraps. This is because of the following reasons:
    1.} I dont have the tools to do wire sleeving, and...
    2.} I can no longer afford wire sleevings...
    :D

Last edited: 30 Oct 2009
  2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That is some fantastic gear you have there, lucky you :D.

3. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

Thanks. :D

Yeah, I am sooo lucky having someone who helped me out with some of the stuff I couldnt afford.

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Me too. I call him dad :)

5. The boy 4rm oz

My dad hates this stuff :(.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Damn. My dad isn't much of a hardware junkie (which is why I never have the latest/greatest) but he's def a man who likes to see me work hard and create with my own hands. Plus he loves buying power tools :p

7. The boy 4rm oz

Dad only takes an interest when something is broken or if he can't do something. However he also likes to buy power tools :D.

8. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

Well guys... look at it this way. I was able to buy my GTX260s because my uncle realized that he no longer has to spend for my tuition, so he gave me some money as a reward, and about the other stuff, my closest friend bought me those.

What exactly does that say about MY dad? Hahaha. He's been missing in action for a long time. Would really love to have power tools, since modding is more fun than gaming. :D
    But since we use 3D and other design software in school... I need good graphic cards.

9. The boy 4rm oz

All I can say is lucky you :D.

10. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Can you tell me about turning your old monitor in to a LCD TV? Is that a kit you can buy? and if you have a link it would be much appreciated I have an old 19" monitor that is still good but a little dated i would like to use it instead of packing it away.

Great modding so far keep it up I like your creativity, :rock: and does your uncle need another nephew i can volenteer :D

11. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

Hahaha, my uncle's got a lot of nephews already, just so happens I'm his favorite. Probably because I'm the only one who's really INTO computers. He's a computer engineer for Hitachi. :D I'll ask him, and if he goes for it, you can probably send your resumê. :D

As for the LCD turned TV, I had to buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gadmei-TV-Video-Games-Monitor/dp/B000FKP8YS to make such a thing possible. You couldnt see it on the bedside table with the monitor, since it's mounted right under my mouse platform. It can support "widescreen" monitors.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

But shouldn't you have gotten some Quadro card for 3D design?

More on topic: Well done! :thumb:

13. bagman

bagman Minimodder

my dad dosen't understand hardware either and he thinks my computer is always breaking because i keep on incisting i need something new. if it works then it is perfect in his eyes but for me if it works and is too slow then it is useless to me. and he won't even let me spend my own money on what i want he just gets angry when i spend money on something he thinks i don't need which sucks.

anyway i am reallt like this mod and you have used that plastic sheet to great effect

14. The boy 4rm oz

You say you think your rig is slow bagman? According to your sig the only thing I would change is the RAM, up it to 4GB. Besides that yours and my rig are identical except I am using a 680i mobo instead of the P45. The 8800GTX and the Q6600 can still comfortably play Crysis on high @ 1280x1024 with the AA and AF turned up half way.

I do understand you wanting to upgrade though, I am constantly looking for my next purchase and my dad thinks everything I spend money on is a waste lol.

15. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

Thanks perplekks45. And about having Quadro cards, I mentioned that I use it FOR SCHOOL, meaning its programs that i dont normally use at home, I just bring some school work home, if I'm really lazy to finish it at school. Usually, I get to finish my assigned activities, even before the bell rings. So the GTX260 I got, is definitely FOR GAMES. I'm actually more skilled as a gamer, as opposed to a modder. But like I had mentioned earlier, it's more fun to mod a computer, than playing with one.

Thanks bagman, the plastic sheet was an accident. Wasnt planning to buy that plastic sheet... I was in the bookstore looking for a book, and came across the plastic folder when i walked into the school supplies section by mistake.

And The boy 4rm oz is right, your computer isnt that bad. The reason for the upgrade was that I wanted to play Prototype, Rainbow6 Vegas2, Burnout Paradise, and Mirror's Edge with a smoother run, because my old 8600GT just wasnt cutting it. I've played Crysis on my old 8600, but never on high... at the resolution that The boy has mentioned, with my AA and AF at zero, or very low. I just HAD to get a newer, and better gpu.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2009
  16. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Looks great and i love that fact you are modding you room to suite! Thats just plain awsome ness!!!

Thanks for the info on the LCD box. would come in well handy!!

17. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Thanks for the link to the lcd tv converter you just saved an old monitor from being modded in to the side of a case. Im gonna give it to my kid as a present and its a lot cheaper than a lcd tv.:thumb:
    Although I do have a server that does travel around with me on deployments i may take that monitor and mod it in to the side so i can get away with mailing 1 box instead of 2.:naughty:

18. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

Thanks. :D I've always wanted to make myself an efficient Command Center. Having everything that I need at an arm's length. :D

I'm still far from being done with the room. Finished with all the wallpaper, the shelves, and the other stuff that had to be mounted. I still need to put up some sound absorbing material on my door and wall{with Altec Lansing and Sony 5.1 speaker setup, its a wonder I could still hear a lot of disgruntled neighbors out my window}. I dont have much money, so I think I'll just go line the walls with some cork sheets.

No need to thank me guys... modders help each other right? And I'm glad to help.

{MODDERS OF THE WORLD UNITE} :D

Last edited: 30 Oct 2009
  19. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

Sorry for the delay, here are the remaining pics of this project. I wanted my own power switch, so I decided to make one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As you've already noticed, I made it out of a "Gucci watch" box. Got it from my aunt. I figured, if she aint gonna use it, might as well get it from her.

[​IMG]
    And of course, the button itself. Made from a decal of Blackie's logo, and foam board.

[​IMG]
    Made a rocker switch, when you push the top part of the paw, it switches Blackie on... the lower part of the paw is the "reset" button.

[​IMG]
    Painted the keyboard, I didnt want to go for a look that would match my mouse, wanted it to have a different color, but still going with the overall theme.

[​IMG]
    Had to drill bigger holes to accomodate the 3mm LEDs.

[​IMG]
    And then a package came... just for me. From my dear sponsor. :D

[​IMG]
    In it, was the monitor that I had saved from a horrible death in the hands of garbage people.

[​IMG]
    And a few products from the Singapore mod store, UVnium. :D

[​IMG]
    And this is how the main table of my Command Center looks. And a pretty clear view of my glow pad, kb, and mouse.

[​IMG]
    The 17inch monitor I saved from being scrapped. Now serves as my cable TV.

20. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

[​IMG]
    My glow pad... not made with LEDs, but with one Sunbeam 4inch CCFL.

[​IMG]
    Almost there...

[​IMG]
    Since most modders, have CATS for pets... I decided to post this. I dont have any pets, but I DO have an African ghost doll. :D

Blackie... finally completed. Due to financial restraints, I ended up using corrugated plastic for Blackie's exterior.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, I used chicken wire as an air filter. Who says chicken wire is uncool?
    [​IMG]
    Well, ok... it probably is. :D

[​IMG]
    Yeah!

[​IMG]
    The power switch, with the HDD LEDs that are connected to the motherboard, are attached in the interior of the switch box.

[​IMG]
    And my modded LG dvd writer, which I've turned into an external optical drive, thanks to a IDE to USB converter.

[​IMG]
    Found this at a cellphone store... I use this whenever I charge my phone or my iPod, or when I need to connect them on my PC. But it's actually a PSP dock.

More views of my completed Command Center. Walls are lined with cork(that's all I could afford. Cant afford those "audiophile recommended" stuff.).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone... for taking the time to view this thread.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2009