1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Cities XL Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/10/29/cities-xl-review/1

With the city sim genre quieter than a library on a friday night Monte Cristo games looks to rebuild with Cities XL. Taking the ever popular city sim formula and adding in a gorgeous 3D engine and consistent online aspect, does Cities XL represent a fresh start? We find out.

:wallbash:

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

That's a bit disappointing. It's definitely a looker, that's for sure.

Time for Sim City 5, methinks!

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I knew the MMO feature was going to cripple the singleplayer game. Ah well i'm sticking with SC4 then.

Personally i'd prefer EA to stay well away from the Sim City franchise. I mean, just take a look at SC Societies.

4. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Nice to see some new features, but too bad you have to pay for them.
    Sticking with Sim City 4 then.

5. steleet

steleet Did he death?

At first I was like :D

"£6.95 monthly subscription"

Then I :(

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

sounds like a console buisness plan to me

7. Hg

Hg The game known as life

tbh Tropico 3 is the game you should get forget this one, its far much more fun to play.
    Would like to see bit-tech review it

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

The game wasn't released on consoles :eyebrow:

In any case, I don't know of any console game with a subscription model, it just sounds like they're trying to get their hands on some of that WoW cash to me.

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Internet Money

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

my bad, should have made myself clearer, was reffering to the initial release and then the constant chargable DLC making it a "complete experiance"

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Was a bit sus when I dled the demo, installed, then was told the demo period had ended....eerrrrr

12. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

I have pre-ordered the game (on steam) and have been playing since the day it was released. Eventually I got bored and unintalled the game. I am a big fan of this kind of games and still play sim city 4 but that is the big problem with this game. It is not that better than sim city 4 at all. Actually, it is really similar in so many levels. You get sc4, remove the pipes, remove the public transportation, put a chat were people are constantly calling each other "noobs" or writing "I can't find my city" and you have Cities XL.

I am not paying for the online part of it and I don't care if the graphic is better than sc4, off course it is.

13. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I was going to get this game despite the high price until I just read this review. If it wasn't for its exploitive nature making everything exclusive to the monthly fee package and extra DLC then it would be a great replacement for Sim City 4. Guess I'll have to skip out on this one then.
    I also enjoyed the water pipe and electricity line part of SC4 and wish that Monte Cristo could have at least put the mass transport feature into the single player.

14. micha80

micha80 What's a Dremel?

It's really hard to make a good city builder. I am currently playing Tropico 3 and it really is all I need.

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Well I got it and paid for the PlanetMode, it's not too bad, though it does leave you feeling a bit shafted.. they definitely could have made more of an effort on the game.

Good review though.

16. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I was a beta tester for the C:XL and I was kind of impressed at how everything was done but then with time i slowly grew back to SC4. Really could use an SC5 by MAXIS and not EA

17. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

18. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

So the moral of this story is, avoid Milton Keynes then.
    Oh, and this game isn't all that and a bag of chips.

19. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

how disapointing. I also throw in another vote for tropico 3, it's an excellent game (any chance we could get a review though?)

20. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

When I started reading this review it looked fantastic and I was fully expecting to drop and order for it... definitely not though based on this review and considering the business model that the developer is clearly aiming for.

It's bad enough having a monthly subscription for the extra content - I'd have ignored that in any case as I don't do subscription based gaming - but having that AND in-game advertising is not something I'll be paying for.

What concerns me most is how the in-game advertising is operated - I take it that the game will use an Internet connection to grab ads, which raises so many privacy concerns that unless it's removed I won't be considering this game.

Tags: Add Tags