1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Gaming Podcast 6 - IWNet, Windows 7 and Yak Meat

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/podcasts/2009/10/29/gaming-podcast-6-iwnet-dlc-and-windows-7/

With Alex and Tim both available for a podcast this week, we sit down to discuss all the latest gaming news and controversies - from Activision's unveiling of IWNet for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to games compatibility in Windows 7.

That's not all we've got going on though - we also sit down for a quick snack of Chinese Yak meat live on tape and hand out the first of a new set of prizes in our Guess The Screenshot competition. Fun times!

On top of all that we've also got the usual Reader Mail and we finally talk about how good games packaging used to be when everything came in a huge cardboard box.

Listen Here

:rock:

2. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

You didn't mention that with MW2 there's no actual servers its all listen servers that are just massive lag fests.

3. deltaworld

deltaworld What's a Dremel?

Thanks for mentioning me in the podcast about game engine development. Much appreciated. Looking at how CryEngine came about and the technicality that has gone into making an engine like CryEngine and the 3D detail and physics involved in making this game work really inspires me to be part of a programming team that can create something like that or even better.

There is games design and games development which I think are two very different aspects of making a game. Even indie developers they tend to have a "programmer" and a "Game Designer" who is in some cases also an artist, Games are programmed in C++ and they use directX shaders and CUDA for PhysX which is programmed in C which I guess is not something you can just pick up, or can you? But it is the programming side that really interests me.

Game development has come along way since it has emerged and has yet a lot to go through. With the advent of DirectX 11 and future nex-gen platforms and innovations in gameplay control like Natal or PS3 wand with new technologies that will enhance the gamer experience through multiplayer and massive multiplayer gaming that will push the envelope of development to beyond what we can currently imagine.

Talking about 'modding' a game. Will this die out? as MW2 has basically banned modding the game? and will future games will follow suit?

4. Radical_Monkey

Radical_Monkey Dremel > Lightsabre

IDDQD is god mode in doom :p

5. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Joe just reminded me that's IDKFA which is all guns/keys. As he says "how does that stuff just stick in your head...."

6. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

@centy face, they did. Right at the start they said the whole thing would be peer2peer, no user servers, no official servers, no fun.

7. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

I liked this podcast a lot, got some people to turn around in the train when I started laughing all of a sudden :)

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yak is endangered according to wiki, on the right, under Conservation status how could you buy it as food?

i still stand that for any single player game, GTA4 or HL2, an online activation should not be required.

im no game developer or any degree related to gaming, but i'd imagine getting a degree in computer science is the best way, live the university life and get a degree that isn't too closed off in one industry.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Only wild Yaks are endangered (technically 'threatened', not endangered anyway), like wild cows are pretty rare too. Domesticated yaks, like cows, are bred for their milk, fur and meat - as it also says on that stage.

The Engrish on the Yak packets states that it's 'semi-wild yak' that we ate - which I guess is the same as saying it's free-range Yak, i.e. not endangered.

10. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

That's the most in-depth discussion of the ethics of yak meat I've ever seen on a tech website.

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Hold on, Big Daddy figures were bundled with Bioshock, there was a big deal about it because they all turned up broken.

12. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

Aussie listener here, demanding my air-freighted coffee :p
    We do have R18+ on films, and just about everything else, it is only games that are being held back. So yeah, we do have the full versions of Alien, Terminator etc, we just get shafted when it comes to combining a degree of interactivity with the content

Tags: Add Tags