1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are overclockers.co.uk still bad?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by jonshepherd, 30 Oct 2009.

1. jonshepherd

jonshepherd Asus Rampage / i7 920 / GTX285 :)

I was just about to buy their "Titan Goliath" system, then googled them expecting good reviews but... Oh dear

I'm sure many people on this site have an opinion of them, but all of the posts in a search are at least 6 months old. Have they seen the errors of their ways?

2. Pixelatedaddiction

Pixelatedaddiction What's a Dremel?

Ive used them on and off for years and never had a problem, but I guess I could have been lucky! Best bet is scan.co.uk

3. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

Had a horrific experience with them when trying to buy my components for system. Had forgotten the password the Mastercard Securecode, but the payment still went through. Attempted to buy 3 times, with none going through, yet my credit card company then called me saying that £1500 had been taken on the card.

I took my business to ebuyer.

4. palorx

palorx Scout and Proud

Make sure you've checked out other places-I've always found them to be more expensive than the rest on stuff I want.

5. ThunderBob

ThunderBob What's a Dremel?

As far as i can remember Overclockers.co.uk have no problems selling you things.....its when you need to return/exchange something that the problems start.

I have used them before and luckily never had to return something.

Normally your best bet is scan or ebuyer.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

What he said. Steer clear of them is my advice mate, I'll never buy from them again. Scan, ebuyer, yoyotech (although they too can be a little spongy when it comes to RMA'ing stuff) are all much more reliable e-taillers.

7. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

I have used them twice recently and got perfect service ... but I have also used ebuyer.com, dabs.com, aria.co.uk and novatech.co.uk and had great service too.

i think the industry as a whole has moved up a notch over the last 12 months

Cheers

8. jonshepherd

jonshepherd Asus Rampage / i7 920 / GTX285 :)

I have checked out the scan.co.uk website but as far as I can see overclockers.co.uk are alot cheaper?

For similar spec pcs:

Scan.co.uk 3XS system (configured)

1 Intel i7 920, 2.66Ghz, 4.8GT/s QPI
    1 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3, PC3-12800 (1600), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, Classic, CAS 8, XMP
    1 1792MB XFX GTX 295, 576 MHz GPU, 480 Cores, 2016MHz GDDR3
    1 650 Corsair HX Series Modular PSU (Single Graphics Card)
    1 640 GB Western Digital Caviar Black, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache
    1 Akasa AK-ICR-07S 3.5" Internal Multi Mem. Card Reader Incl. M2, Micro SD & USB port
    1 Sony AD-7240S-0B - 24x DVDRW
    1 *Sound Card Not Required Use On Board Sound*
    1 *Use On Board Network Port*
    1 *Operating System Not required* (System Tested under Microsoft Vista)
    1 *Monitor Not Required*
    1 Standard 3XS System Warranty - 2 Years (1st Year Onsite / 2nd Year Return to Base)

Total price £1,379.17 inc vat

overclockers.co.uk "Titan Goliath"

Case Performance Gaming Case Options
    nVidia GTX295 1792MB
    seagate barracuda 500GB 7200.12
    Memory Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
    Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
    Optical Drive LG GH22NS30 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter
    Power Supply Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLI Compliant PSU
    Processor Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz D0 Overclocked to 3.40GHz!
    Processor Cooler Akasa AK-967 Nero Direct Contact Heatpipe CPU Cooler
    Sound Card 7.1 High Definition OnBoard Sound Card
    Other Arctic Silver 5 heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
    Warranty 1 Year Onsite Collect & Return Warranty

Total price £1,084.96 inc vat

I am in no way in expert on computers, there is probably a pricey component in the scan system somewhere?

9. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

They are still bad. I bought what was advertised as a black TJ07 from their B-Grade section, when it was delivered turned out to be a semi-ancient TJ03. Took them over a week to answer the half a dozen webnotes I sent.

10. danielthesaint

danielthesaint What's a Dremel?

i use to use them alot until one day i went to check my bank account online and overclockers had taken £315.00 from my debit card......when i phoned them up and asked them (they where very rude on the phone) my name and the shipping addresse where not the same and i said how did you not see that...they said it went though our system so we dont really care......

11. ThunderBob

ThunderBob What's a Dremel?

Some of the difference will be the WD Caviar Black,Sony DVDRW and the Modular Corsair PSU in the Scan one.

You will probably find the Scan warranty and case to be better aswell.

12. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

Having dealt with both Scan and Overclockers I personaly have to recommend Scan.

I just recently purchased an i7 system and compared all prices on lots of sites. Scan were by no means the cheapest but I feel I know what I am getting.

One item which I recently purchsed was a 1000w Corsair PSU which turned out to be faulty and making a random clicking noise. They have sorted out the RMA with no issues and although I had to pay for another while it was checked, I was not left without a PC and Customer services were excellent.

Also, whilst putting my purchase together I was able to get good advice from staff that are friendly, helpfull and recommend items which will compliment the set up on the basis that they would use it in their own system.

A personal touch I feel, which I have never really had from OC.

Scan will get my money in the future. Now, lets look at the watercooling..... :D

13. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Another great OcUK tale from me. I once ordered a fan controller and HDD from them (I think this was back in 05 or 06), but somehow they managed to process the order twice. It definitely wasn't my fault, I didn't double click while a page was loading or anything.

Anyways the goods came while I was on holiday (because yet again they despatched the order late) so it wasn't until I came home and found 2 boxes that I even knew. I sent them a webnote that morning, but because it took them more than a day to reply they basically said "the 7 day return time frame has passed. No return is granted".

Bunch of ******s if you ask me.