1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mac OS update breaks hackintoshes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Nov 2009.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

seriously please all you Mac people out there, please tell me how can you support such a hitler like company? seriously how much brain washing on your part does it take to get you so compelled to buy anything from Apple? and to think people say MS is bad HA I say Apple is far worse then any other company out there, they are more of a monopoly then anything else I have ever seen.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

ah damn, was looking forward to installing hackintosh onto my netbook.

looks like i'll have to wait for the hackers to work harder, use make a patch that keeps 10.6.1's kernel

3. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with monopolies.

Apple and Microsoft ARE NOT COMPETITORS, believing they are is going to be the death of Microsoft. They have completely different business models in what regards computers and software. Actually, the Zune is probably the only MS product that directly competes with one Apple product.

If Apple would try to get into MS niche - openly selling its OS - they would not survive. When people say "Apple is overpriced", that is because the MS and Apple operate on completely different value networks (with apple users willing to pay higher to get their computing needs satisfied).

I like Windows. Actually, it is a very nice app for the Mac OS - actually, I do run winxp on my macbook, under a virtualization solution. If you don't want to go into virtualization, there is always Crossover, a commercial implementation of WINE that enables you to run several windows apps within OSX (and Linux, for that matter). How's that for giving people choice?

MS is going crazy believing that Apple is its competitor and is failing to see the real competition - Linux and it's soon-to-come-Google-backed distribution, Chrome OS (just add some WINE and it is ready to run windows apps...). What would happen if people became used to paying $0.00 for their OS, instead of hundreds of dollars? It is the issue of value networks all over again, and in this case, keeping OSX hardwired to Apple hardware is what may ensure Apple's survival.

Check out this rather insighful interview with Steve Ballmer:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/09/2...erview-exclusive-techcrunch-bing-mobile-azur/

(I can't shake the feeling that MS is about to be blindsided by Google)

And some pointers on the issues of Disruptive Innovations and value networks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_innovation

(be sure to check out Christensen's book, "The Innovator's Dilemma")

4. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Lets hope on the next few Operating system poles Mac OS X Leopard - 10.6.1 Beats the dog **** out of 10.6.2 stealing all the market share! That would show them, they need to capture as much market as they can to intice people to buy macs, cause the os is the only true "feature"

5. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

6. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

Pulling out Hitler because Apple tried to block hackintoshes? You, sir, lose this argument just for playing the Hitler card. Have a good day.

7. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Bend over b/c we got an apple to shove where the sun does not shine.

I could see this coming like a sun rise...

8. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You sir, win the argument :D. The length of any internet discussion/argument is directly proportional to the length of time it will take someone to make a comparison to Hitler or Nazis.

To get back to the point... I thought that some macbooks, like the macbook air, used the Atom processor?

Either way, it won't make a bit of difference to the Hackintosh community. OSx86 already runs on processors it was not designed to, such as AMD processors, and they've managed to bypass the Apple EFI requirements. Given time, they will bypass these restrictions also.

Apple has brand power. They can afford to charge more for their systems because people recognise it as a premium & luxury brand, and will therefore be willing to pay for it - even if it's just for the bragging rights. Even their OS comes with bragging rights; you can't get OSX, which is portrayed as being better than the competition, without buying their hardware. There are plenty of people left in the world who will be prepared to buy into the brand and while they still exist, Apple will never open up OSX. I'm not saying this is completely shallow; it's just human nature. People will want the best and most exclusive, and Apple's brand represents that. I'm even guilty of it myself. I bought an iPod touch recently, when I could have spent the same money on a far more capable media player with better sound quality and more storage capacity. I didn't, because I wanted a slab of good-looking shiny-shiny.

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I say Hitler like because of Steve Jobs and the way he talks to people with a slide of hand, saying pretty words to "motivate" or rather manipulate people but then his actions completely do the opposite of what he was saying. The man is the biggest hypocrite on this planet. Come on the man wouldnt even acknowledge his own daughter because he was afraid it would hurt his image. It wasnt until she was about 12 that he finally admitted to having a daughter, heck even one of his earlier attempts at easing his guilt was to name a computer after her. The company is a monopoly, they control the hardware, the software, the repair, heck to some degree the people, its ridiculous, the justice department should be all over the company.

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

They have a <7% market share they are not a monopoly on pure sales they are a bit part player.

12. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

What are you, some sort of apologist for Microsoft? You make very strong accusations that Microsoft's behaviour is "par for the course in the computer industry" yet you provide no evidence to support your accusation. Do consumers care about such unethical behaviour? Yes. Can I convince you that they do? No. I expect trying to convince you would be like trying to convince a member of The Flat Earth Society.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2009
Tags: Add Tags