1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Borderlands PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 Nov 2009.

1. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Was looking at it on Amazon, people are really complaining about the DRM, any comments here?

2. capmoq

capmoq What's a Dremel?

Played it and really don't like it. Graphics isn't good imo and the gameplay is poor.

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Aren't Anti-DRM posts mandatory on every PC game posted on Amazon?

4. vampalan

Was just thinking, there's no deathmatch/etc.
    That would be fun to run around in deathmatch, suppose I'll have to play TF2 then for that.

So its basically a Diablo like game in FPS style, as in you complete the game and go back and do it again on a harder level?

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

You can turn off the FOV and adjust the mouse sensitivity so the complaints don't seem to have any merit.

It should be noted though that the default mouse sensitivity is VERY high (this may be where the complaints are stemming from?).

I would think its fair to conclude that bordelands is not a game without it faults but put simply they don't matter as its just a good fun game.

6. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

No deathmatch, but you can challenge your friends in a 1v1 fight.. You hit them, they hit you back, and its on.. A large dome appears over you two and you slug it out inside this dome.

As for FOV / Console Control / Mouse steering you can adjust these in the ini files. Not ideal, but still you can.. Whilst you are there, don't forget to comment out the 4 intro movies that play before the game even loads!

7. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I gave up reading those long ago. I write my own on there but actually review the game...seems like an unusual approach these days.

8. vampalan

I was thinking either pay 25 quid and put up with disc based copy protection, or use Steam and pay the 30 quid for it.. or wait for Steam to discount it. I am avoiding paying too much for computer games these days. The most expensive one I have pre-ordered is GT5... 40 quid.. ouch.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've not noticed any DRM issues, tbh.

10. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

Anyone have any experience of how well/smoothly the multiplayer works through steam? Not too bothered about buying it for singleplayer, but if I can convince some clan-mates to get it too it sounds like it could be fun online...

edit: also, cell shaded graphics are awesome :D They were what made 13 so great too.

11. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

It'll use the same servers as the disc version more than likely - just like Crysis etc

12. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I was just thinking about the port-forwarding and difficulty-organising-games issue someone mentioned above.

Steam is usually pretty smooth for that sort of stuff, so was just wanting to check they have integrated borderlands properly and it works well.

13. NightrainSrt4

NightrainSrt4 What's a Dremel?

AFAIK, the steam version still uses Gamespy. You just purchase the game and download it through steam, all the multiplayer stuff is handled through Gamespy. I don't have the steam version, so its AFAIK, and is the impression I've got from people that have the steam version.

The FOV is quite narrow, but didn't really bother me too much as I'm used to it from console games. Having to edit .ini's is ridiculous though, and those stating its a moot point apparently don't understand that you shouldn't have to do that. I had no issue with it, and knew right away where to look and what to change, but my fiance . . . not so much. Vsync, among other settings, should be in the graphics menu and not in an ini.

I think we tend to forget sometimes that not all pc gamers are comfortable with modifying game files, and other such methods that really shouldn't have to be used in the first place.

14. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

It is a great game, and i would review it a bit more than 8. Maybe a 9. But again I am a loner, and i always look at the single player part of every game. I am now a hunter lvl 22 and i have to play this game every night before going to bed. It's very addictive. I almost forgot that dragon age is scheduled to arrive at my house soon.

two games in the last week and we can see how strong diablo STILL is in the game culture. It would be very cool if they randomize a sandbox enviroment like they do in dungeons like the ones in diablo or torchlight.

IT IS A MUST BUY!

15. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

You got that right.. never thought running people over would be more effective then a huge ass rocket launcher... oh well, running them over is fine too ;)

The rest of the game i realy like, although the leveling is a bit weird sometimes... In some areas i literally blast enemies apart with my 'Blast Sniper' in the other I'm putting in round after round (and scoring critical hits) and not much happens :S

ah well.. more shooting, more fun :D

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This was a review on PC right? Where were the hardware and graphics aspect of the review. You didn't even cover the levels of details between settings.

I will definitely be giving this game a shot though.

17. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

This game is far better than the review seems to make out, even though it was still given an 8, the review seems very very negative. And as The Boy 4rm oz mentioned, no details about graphic quality.

Also joe, how did you spend 90minutes on one section :S The hardest/ longest boss i had to fight was skagzilla and mothrakk, skag was with 2 of us which made it easier....but 90minutes?

Damnnn.

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Single most hilarious sentence of the review.

I'm sorry but co-op MAKES this game. Sure, it's a bit of a hassle getting set up but once you're rolling, it rivals even L4D co-op.

And I'm with Stickeh. 90 minutes on any section means you're doing something horribly wrong. I've killed every boss in the game so far by myself (I'm at the stage where I give Tannis the vault key) and the longest was the Mothrakk at 10-odd minutes. Shoot, cover, wait for bombard to stop, shoot, cover... that's all.

19. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Disappointing review. I have played mostly co-op and a bit of single player, and I love the game, but I do have some gripes:

- way too easy. Unlike the reviewer, I rarely have firefights that last longer than 10 seconds. Even the boss quest monsters are disappointingly easy and when playing with my friends its rare that one of us will even go onto the 'last stand' mode, let alone die.

- gamespy - requirement to open 6 ports and perform a ritual before friends can actually join your game
    - console port like interface, menu system fiddly.

The list of small gripes goes on, but the one I listed first is the biggest problem I have.
    Honestly though, I have not been able to put this game down, gearbox have done an excellent job of combining two genres, and I would not be too suprised if something slightly more MMO-like emerged in the future (more likely in the style of guild wars than APB, i.e. instanced zones + pvp with communal towns.) which I think would work really well. Add some 'armour' slots, and more skill trees, and a little more character customisation, and you have massive, massive potential.

20. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

"Unfortunately though, it seems as if these claims are actually little more than camouflage, as the game isn’t really as co-op centric as it is open to the idea of co-op and the 87 bazillion guns aren’t all that inventive."

Hahaha, what? You aren't serious are you?

Tags: Add Tags