1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Shattered Horizon

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DarkLord7854, 4 Nov 2009.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Anyone else got it?

Looking forward to going home tonight and playing it :)

BT gonna do a review on it?

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'd also be interested to see how this one turns out and nearly bought it as it was only £13.49 (now £14.99). It could easily be very crap though, and I'm a little sceptical after I couldn't seem to find any released gameplay footage, only trailers.

3. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

They were pretty strict about the NDA while it was in force, probably why you've not seen it. It is a thoroughly good game, however, if a little difficult to start.

4. $plit

$plit abs0lut3K1LL

i pre ordered, cant wait to DL it tonight...$

5. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Thought the beta was interesting but nothing special.

6. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Looking forward to see how Bit Tech will review it..... there will be a review right?
    It's on steam now, £14.99

7. $plit

$plit abs0lut3K1LL

good game , great graphics. Takes a few hours of playing to get your orientation down..nuthing like someone shooting you and you trying to find them then dying first. Once you get the controls and orientation down it gets alot more fun. I can see this turning into a sniper type game very quickly. I was very disappointed with no voice chat..ist almost 2010 and VC has been strong for a long time..why no VC in a team based game? To be very effective in this game you have to coordinate and it doesnt seem likely...clans will have a ball if they use a 3rd party VC/VOIP setup.

Not sure about the only one weapon part,,the nades are fun. I would have liked to seen a coupla things in this game...maybe armor, and an auto attach feature where when you were near a surface you would just auto attach instead of having to attach manually...petty things really...still no VC>>argghh

$plit

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

So how are the controls? Are they fiddly or quite natural? I can't quite get my head around moving in a 3D-space when I'm used to the 2D-movement provided by the WASD keys.

How does it run as well? The minimum and recommended specs seem quite high, and it's DX10 only so it could be quite a pig for performance (like GTA IV which really needed 4 cores).

Last edited: 5 Nov 2009
  9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There will, but since I've been so swamped lately it's been pushed back a bit. Should be up tomorrow.

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The controls are very basic, you have WASD for direction as usual, plus SPACE/SHIFT for UP/DOWN respectively, then you have HOME button for "stealth" mode where your suits shuts off, makes you harder to see but you lose your HUD and stuff.

It takes a little while to get used to the whole zero-g thing, and sniping is pretty hard but very satisfying, as is ripping the other guy's suit in half or blowing up his airtanks :D

So to summarize, the controls are very simple and easy to work with, you'll just need to adapt your brain to make the most of the way the game works.

I'm running happily at max with 60fps, and I must say, the graphics are gorgeous, especially the sun effects.

Futuremark said that even the most DX10 systems can play the game decently, so you should be fine.

11. $plit

$plit abs0lut3K1LL

it took about 2 hrs for me to get the hang of 3d space. Of course being an old skool gamer i use the number keypad instead of wasd so remapping keys for the diff actions was interesting. I run the game at full settings for all video settings but i am running a corei7 920 with an asus board, 3gb ram and dual 280gtx in SLI mode.

its a beautiful game. But it will frustrate you until you get used to the rotate and 3d space, cuz you will get mauled for the first few hours...and if youre like me..i hate getting killed.. i need at least an 80/20 kd ratio..lol

Split

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

My q6600 and 9800gt perform pretty poorly in this game.

13. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

I'm running everything but textures on low and i still only have about 30 fps... drops to 20 in firefights. It doesn't look like crysis-low, more like crysis medium-high. Hopefully when my 5870 arrives I'll be able to max the settings and have good fps at the same time :)

Playing on low doesn't change HOW FUN THIS GAME IS TO PLAY THOUGH!!! Seriously, the first two hours I'm giggling like a schoolgirl, it's so disorientating that you sometimes have no idea where the enemy fire is coming from, since there is no real Up or Down in this game. Been playing three hours today and I've scored my first melee kills (cut some campers down, f*cking awesome!). When I stopped playing I was so used to constantly shifting my viewpoint in the yaw direction that when my desktop appeared standing still I felt dizzy :lol:

Can't recommend this game enough. If you want something fresh in your FPS, this is it. It really requires you to think in 360 degress, not just the "regular 240".
    And if FGS holds their promises, there is free content packs yet to come :thumb:

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Damn... The first game around that I don't want to buy because my hardware isn't up to it. Upgrade time! :(

15. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Really enjoying this game at the moment. Played for about 5 hours straight today. The controls take some getting used too but it's worth it in the end. Really good fun.
    The only downside is that when I come out of Shattered Horizon, I feel genuinely disoreintated!

16. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Been playing it a fair bit. Definatly worth the purchase (if for no other reason than futuremark actually seem to care, replying to forum threads and the like)

But definatly a fun game, and the controls are incredibly easy to use, and you get used to them pretty quickly. I love the ISS map.

I also find myself looking at building interiors IRL in a completely different way now.

17. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I this kind of sucks. I figured my 9800gt and quad core would be enough to run this. I guess not.

Maybe I'll play it when I upgrade in a year.