1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: "Singleplayer is no longer the future"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Nov 2009.

1. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I love single player games, only me, the pc, the sounds,a bowl chips, rum cola and a wintersnight. No people shouting in my ear to go left or take te flag. Just me in the game..

STFU about SP is dead you pathetic EA morons...

2. riggs

riggs ^_^

Totally agree. I loved playing through RE5 co-op with my mate...single player was naff, but co-op was an absolute blast.

The main problem I have with competitive MP is that there's no real point in playing imo, you're just doing it for 'the sake of it'. Where's the story? Where's the characters? You don't really get any of that with competitive MP. It's almost like a boring, repetitive sport; you just end up doing the same thing over and over (and over) again. It just boggles my mind that some people put so much time and effort into MP (like my mate, who prestige'd 8 times on CoD5). All that time wasted on one bloody game when he could've used that time to play half a dozen, good single player games...or get a job!

At the end of the day I suppose it's just a case of 'each to their own'. I definitely have a casual attitude when it comes to competitive multiplayer. A few rounds of Mario Kart with my mates is great fun, but spending hour after hour playing with random strangers just doesn't do it for me.

I dunno, maybe it's games like HalfLife and Uncharted that have corrupted my mind into thinking that all games should be like playable movies.

3. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

I love single player games, I do play online games but I certainly wont be happy playing them all the time. Sometimes I like to get lost in a game on my own such as Batman, single player yet thoroughly enjoyable. Anyone else see this as just a way to stop piracy?

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I've had some fun playing online but my crappy internet isn't really fast enough and also you have to put up with dickheads ruining the game for everyone else, people being rude, lost connections etc. A lot of people that play games have no social skills!!

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

EA and innovative is an oxymoron

6. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

If all EA games become 'Multiplayer-only', then there will be no more EA games for me.

Single player is a must. It's not all the time that I may feel to play online with virtuo friends. I would rather play locally with real friends via LAN. The other thing is that if, for whatever reason, you can't connect via the internet, your whole game is effectively dead. No singleplayer to fall back on.

7. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Multiplayer makes the most sense when it comes to replayability and time spent coding the game.

I still play SimCity 4 too, and sadly Cities XL is a pantload compared to it. But the thing about SimCity is that because of the very open nature of the game you dont need multiplayer to have that replayability factor.

There will still be room for 2d sidescroller platfoming games in my house too. I will be getting a Wii because of the new Super Mario Wii game. As far as I am concerned the last real Mario game was Super Mario World in 1991. There were some good portable ones but they are played in a janky tiny screen.

8. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

Then I should return my copy of Dragon Age Origins:wallbash:

9. labr@t

labr@t What's a Dremel?

yet EA have just publishes bioware's single player rpg master piece

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

And Mass Effect 2 is coming soon as well

11. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

"Single Player Is Dead!" coming from the company that handles The Sims, Spore, Need For Speed, Burnout, Harry Potter, Skate, Mirror's Edge, Medal Of Honour....

....in other words, a crap-load of game franchises designed around a single player experience.

Someone should stop talking before they lose some toes down their throat.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

well thats fail, last time I checked a great single player and multiplayer experience is whats wanted by gamers.

EA, Half-Life and Valve both say hello, this is how we do it.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I play and enjoy single player games. HL2, Bioshock and Far Cry 2 are my most recent. Though I OBSESS over multiplayer games. For the last 10 years I have played multi about 300 times more than the hours I put in with single. Single gives me 30 to 80 hours of play, in multi I play that much in a week or two.
    I do not think that single players games will stop, I would like to see more of them opened up to co-op so that you could invite friends on your steam list to join.

As far as not paying for something monthly, you guys are going to have to get over it. 60% of PC games are going to be MMOs or episodic (and I dont hear anyone crying about paying for the next installment of HL2, just the opposite we want it NOW), so if you want to continue being in PC gaming I would prepare yourself psychologically to start paying for your games and new content. This is not a judgment, just the way things are evolving.
    The mmo model is perfect for everyone. The devs have a revenue stream and can polish a game to perfection, while the gamers get content and devs that are responsive to their desires. The holy grail example being EVE Online which is moving into being a sci-fi universe with different games that are windows into that universe, all run off of one MASSIVE server in London.
    I think people sometimes think that PC gaming should be free (check out the prices though they are the best in the history of pc gaming) but that is simply impossible, the devs need to be paid and if they are making good games, I have no problem paying them.

BTW if you are a FPS fan you should be playing Shattered Horizon right now. Go go and go, it is cheap 14 pounds/20 euros/20 dollars and one of the best made FPSs in years, don't miss it.

Yours in the Future is Bright but not Free,
    Star*Dagger

14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Thats all well and good if you have a decent broadband connection but thanks to the way in which my connectivity works my connection speed is pathetic because of the distance between my house and the telephone exchange. This is why I never buy games online, it would take forever to download - for the last two weeks I couldn't even look at the posts on the Demotivational Posters thread in the forums because my connection was so appalling.

Allegedly BT are supposed to be doing something about this but I'll believe it when I see it.

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

what I personally dont like multiplayer all that much, you tend to be stuck with a lot of adults or teenagers that act like they are 12 with all the cursing and other child like behaviors >< and I prefer storylines and a lot of multiplayer games just dont offer that.

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Actually, the storyline point is a good one to make, does this hint that EA are giving up on games with stories and all we'll end up with is a mass online brawl?

17. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Single player is what sells me.. considering 80% of my time is spent on a 45k modem.

18. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I like single player games, and I like to play multiplayer games, but in no way do I want just multiplayer games forced upon me. I'd be quite happy to go the other way though, i.e. a single player game future. I need SP for story, for something to really get into, something that can make me think, and something I can play at my own pace. MP is fun, but I can only spend so long with it before it starts to make me bored, as it is afterall just the most repetitive action of all.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

EA's way of saying we're too lazy to even think of a plot for our games now, even the most basic. The few games I play online I suck at. Not everyone is good at multiplayer. Take any FPS, spawn in, take 2 steps, die, repeat till end of round. Although Ive got to the point I can kill the ocassional person now I still dont play many multiplayer games

20. TickleOnTheTum

TickleOnTheTum What's a Dremel?

I never play MultiPlayer games, and never will. I want games where I can specify how good the enemy are for a start. I like games with cheats as well, which MP games often don't have.

So don't forget all of us Single Players EA, there are a lot of us out there and you're not going to convert us...

Tags: Add Tags