1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Suggest an mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisb2e9, 4 Nov 2009.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

My 80gb zune died today. Hard drive failure as best I can tell. about a year old and to be honest, I dont know how it made it this far. I put it through hell....

Anyway,

Bestbuy gave me an instore credit. 209$
    I would like to get a zune hd. Not an option, I live in canada and you can only buy them in the states. unless I sell my store credit to someone else and buy from something like ebay...

Failing that, what is a good mp3 player these days?
    They had an archos, but it was:
    a) massive,
    b) 360$ or something like that. and way above my budget of 209.

Yes, I am aware of a product called the "Ipod" and the "Itouch"
    And it isn't going to happen. What else is out there?

I like a big screen for video(so lots of supported video formats are needed)
    lots of storage space. I almost filled the 80gb zune at one point...

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hmm...

I'd say the Samsung P3 but it only has 16GB. Giant space is hard to find. Try an Archos?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Zune HD should come in Canada, if you are patient. My guess, is that their is a delay because Microsoft lacks confidence in their product, they don't want to mass produce it like crazy for U.S and Canada so that it fails at the end. It took several month after the US to get the small Zune and the Zune 80,120. but it came. I am sure Zune HD will follow. It's a real shame because I truly believe that this MP3 player can be successful world wide... people are getting tired of Apple same old iPod or iTouch device. I mean the next one is predictable, same thing as the last one with a camera that can take pictures and video, increase in capacity and a slight improvement in performance.

Zune has HD Radio, HD movie playback, scratch resistant screen, real web browser, and connect it to a display and use the device as a media center... real gaming capability well you know them. These are original and exiting features.

I say be patient.. maybe summer of next year, hopefully.

[edit] Off topic: yay, I just noticed that I have 3 333 posts :) [/edit]

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

ive got the p2 and love the heck out of it, but small storage i guess...

5. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

The 120GB Zune.

Come on, man. You've owned an 80GB Zune, you know how awesome it is. I have an 80GB, almost filled (*shakes fist at the evil temptress that is the podcast library*). The only things I would change about it would be 1) give it a microphone, 2) give me my quicklist back, and 3) up the capacity. Everything else about it is just brilliant. Won't find a better player anywhere.

- Diosjenin -

6. chrisb2e9

Odd, I posted a reply to this thread this morning...
    So again,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to wait for the zune hd to show its face. The store credit I have does not expire ever so I can wait. in the mean time I can use my phone as a make do mp3 player.

Diosjenin I would buy another zune 80 or even the 120 but you cant get them new anymore.

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

have you consided anything from sony?

i have to say they are very good. the sound quality is soo much better than a ipods and the video quality is also better. and some of them even come with noise cancerling earphones which are very expensive but overall i thinck the walkman is easily the best mp3 on the market

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i have a creative zen but again, small capacity?

ipods have low sound quality and a clunky PC interface in comparison with a lot of modern devices

gnutonian likes this.
  10. docodine

...But look better and have more intuitive controls than most other devices.

I would get the new iPod touch with the money, but hey.

11. chrisb2e9

The itouch isn't a horrible device. But the zune hd can do a lot more. I'm going to look into selling my 200$ store credit to someone who is buying something anyway and maybe take a trip to the states.
    Or just wait it out.
    Radio isn't that bad......

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

13. chrisb2e9

I took a look at that sony walkman.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkman_X_Series
    pity the stores around here don't have it. I would like to take a look. I'm almost wondering if they are all cleaning out existing stock to make room for new stuff for the Christmas season.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The Walkmans are ledgendary in terms of quality.

However they cost a bit much for what you get.

15. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

There, I fixed that for you. :D But yes, the Walkmans are pretty nice bits of kit, highly recommend them.

Elton likes this.
  16. docodine

iPod touch = apps + speakers + accessories

Zune HD = sketchy GUI, a radio

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes, enjoy the uncountable amount of junk app. Speakers are useless. You can plug anything on any stereo. The Zune works while it's charging, so you can connet it to a dock AND speakers via the headphone jack and your set. Or connect it to a TV or computer monitor via HDMI and enjoy sound, and your set.

Zune has little to no accessories as it's still very new.

Next time use one. The UI fits the need of portable multimedia player. Apple UI feels like a desktop/laptop computer, where everything is organized in a army style. It has no life.. it's just bland.

Also, I can't say for the Zune HD exactly, but my Zune 120 works under the toughest of Canadian winter -40C. My previous iPods, is unresponsive under -10C environment (can't navigate in menus as it can't grab your cold fingers)... so for 4-5 month, basically the iPod is useless outdoors. I passed through the 2x iPod nano's and iPod video, if you wonder. Not to mention iPod terrible headphones and sound output quality compared to any other music players out there.

The iPod Touch is everything FIRST, than music/video player. While the Zune and other players around is Music/Video FIRST than the rest, which is not a bad thing at all for either device. It depends on your need.

My point is not the really bash the iPod, I just underlines it's weekness, as your argumentation needs some work.

The Zune is not perfect by any means. For instance:
    - While the Zune software is more responsive than the iPod, it still needs some work. At first run you don't really know what is click-able and what is not.
    - The Zune can't be used as an external storage device, like the iPod can.
    - Without drivers the Zune can't be access from the PC.
    - Its web browser, while better in generating content, it's slower to download and analyze a page for showing.
    - Zune currently have a low number of accessories and it's application/game section is still closed down. Maybe Microsoft is making the store system, maybe some documentation, or first want to see how it sells in the states first, who knows.. which can be seen as a downside.
    - Store system can be either a up or downsides depending on your needs.
    - No extended warranty offered by the manufacture.

See, now THAT is how you present a downside of a product.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2009
  18. chrisb2e9

Good show goodbytes. too tired to write more. and have a girl in bed waiting for me :naughty:

19. coldfusion1313

coldfusion1313 What's a Dremel?

I have a ipod nano and it is horrible, it has the worst build quality and the damn click wheels is too small for my fingers and I do not even have big hands. itunes is the shitest window's program I have ever used I takes an hour to open and 2 hours to do anything else. The zune software is lighitng fast and I have it watch folders and auto add music to my collection, and I dont see how come itunes cant do that. my ipod nano is not going to hold up for another year. While the zune on the over hand is just amazing, I have used my friend zune 30 and it is awesome, he has put it through hell and it doesnt have a single scratch on it. I can not wait for my birthday because I am going to get a zune 120. so get a zune!!! :clap:

20. chrisb2e9

Yup, they are a good quality. I took my case and screen protector off eventually. the screen after a year didn't have any scratches. the case wasn't scratched in any way.
    I think the downfall with the 80gb was when I dropped it the other day. It was the hard drive that bit the dust...

I went into the Microsoft office here in Calgary and asked about a release date. first they emailed me a link to the US site for best buy... which doesn't ship to Canada...
    And when I said I was just looking for a release date they said that they didn't have one yet...