1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films DVD to AVI?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yotta, 7 Nov 2009.

1. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

Can anyone tell me if it's legal to put DVDs onto HDD? If it's illegal I will crawl back into a hole, if not I will enquire further.

Cheers

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Well to do so you have to break the copy protection, so yes, it's technically illegal. Whether that's right or not is another matter.

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

It may be "illegal", I would say yes it probably is. But no one here is going to moan at you for it. You bought the DVDs you should be able to get them onto your PC for easier viewing. Now if you planned on sharing these once they were on your PC then you would get some frowns.

Just go for it.

4. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

I know they all say this, but it's not even for me. I have a friend who lives in a transit van, it's like a palace inside. He's getting the hump with storage space and just bought a large HDD to put his DVDs on. I said I knew the place to ask.

I can only give you my word there is nothing fishy going on. If I wanted to copy DVDs to blank DVDs I already know how to that. Just thought I'd save myself a bit of time googling and ask here first about conversion.

So as long as it's ok with the mods, please fire away chaps (pm if you feel happier with that). AVI would be his choice of file type if possible.

TIA

edit:

I have DVDFab HD Decrypter and DVD Shrink btw.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2009
  5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

DVD Shrink -> Handbrake.

All you need.

6. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

I'm onto it, cheers. :)

7. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Illegal? I think if your actually buying the dvds and copying them to a computer, your doing a lot better then the rest of the internet.. and for the record i would download a car if i could.

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yeah. Even if it is illegal, it's the best thing to do. I'm opposed to piracy but I've pirated a ton of films, simply because I didn't know how to do what the OP is asking and couldn't lug 200 DVDs to uni with me. So I'mma look into this too, thanks badders :)

9. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

Just had a go with DVD Shrink. Think I'm approaching it all wrong.

Went through the encoding phase which seems to take about an hour and ended up with a load of vob, bup and ifo files in the folder I created. That's the point where the program normally asks for a blank disk, which I'm familiar with. Haven't found any options to convert to AVI.
    Anyone?

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Handbrake is the next step, apparently...

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Yeah, that's where DVDShrink ends and you move to an encoder.

doom9.net has a lot of tutorials, but they tend to be quite hardcore and perfection types.

12. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

Thanks julian, I've just spent about an hour on that site looking at tutorials and searched forum, now having a break.

Any recommendations for an encoder that will produce AVI files?

13. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

doom9.org/autogk.htm

Auto GordianKnot is probably going to be your best bet if you want to do a proper job of it and keep quality etc etc etc and not make it too difficult.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

best combo ever, is to use AnyDVD to break open the disc, and use handbrake

200 DVD's down just a few more to do, stupid collection and HTPC! lol!

15. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

My Mum wanted some films on her Archos, so I ripped some discs using RipIt4Me (with DVD Decoder) and Auto GK. Auto GK is very good as it gives you a whole host of options for encoding your video.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hmmm, I might do this, I have a ton of DVDs that are just sitting in a box because I don't have enough room to put out anywhere.

17. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

yup another vote for AutoGK... means you can queue loads of stuff up to do too...

RwD

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i have to disagree with AutoGK, i kept having audio problems where it would lag behind by a few seconds causing the video/audio sync to mess up.

Handbrake gives all the options that autoGK dose, but with a cleaner GUI and more reliable result.

19. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

Sorted! :)
    I failed to work out how to add all the files to autogk. Read the faq and tried changing the file numbers like it suggested in one of the guides online at doom9. I'm sure it's just one simple step I'm overlooking. So tried using handbrake and all went fine, as there's a folder option in the source selection.

If anyone feels like explaining how to get all the vob, bup and ifo files to load into autogk, then I would definitely be up for a second way of skinning the cat. Might be useful one day.

Please don't laugh too hard when I tell you I originally thought badders' suggestion of 'handbrake' was a euphemism. I already laughed enough for us all! :) ....and I am getting on a bit.

Thanks to all who posted.