1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Quiet Gaming Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by butter100fly, 4 Nov 2009.

1. butter100fly

butter100fly Rebelstar Raider

So...I may go as far as a 5870...actually its looking like I probably will

ATX. Air cooling.

I will be overclocking....occasionally

I need a girlfriend-friendly quiet case. But I need a quiet case that can occasionally blow air around like a politician in denial on those few occasions when I want it to, via a fan controller that hopefully comes with the case

Case doesn't need to be massive, but it needs to be big enough to fit a few HD's (in case no one replies to my post just below this about large hard drives)

I won't be adding more than one fan to the case, hopefully the case already has a fan pointed at the gpu, or some other method of addressing the gpu. I assume what I want means a 200mm fan on the roof or side

I can go 80-120 quid, 150 if there's a really good reason to

Question to you: Which case is currently the best quiet buy? And why,compared to the alternatives? Why should I not just get a 902and have it on lowest fan?

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I've just bought one of these (see this thread), and I'm quite impressed with it for the money. It has soundproofing on all the case sides so should be pretty quiet (I've yet to test it out) and plenty of fan mounts so should be pretty good for air cooling to.

It won't be easy to get hold of at the moment though, so if you need it soon you might want to look at the P183, as it's very similar but doesn't quite look as nice IMO, and it's a little bit more expensive.

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

you should also consider the cooler master comos 1000 and the lian li pc-b25 which both have sound prothing material but the lian li looks very nice

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Silverstone fortress? Just remove the upper HDD-cage and you're left with three drive bays and enough room to fit any graphic card with ease. No cable managing though :( Another option being P182... Again, just get rid of the silly upper HDD-cage and it fits anything.

Neither may be as ventilated as the 902 you mentioned, but both sure are quieter and look far better IMO.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yup, p182 has done the job for me, good sound reduction and a lot of airflow. And you could fit a dead horse inside it.

6. butter100fly

thanks all. Currently thinking:
    Define R2 - no chance of getting stock anytime soon, otherwise it would def be on the list
    Silverstone Fortress - GPU cooling not too good, expensive,needs side fan:more cost and noise
    P183 - can't find stock in any mainstream stores - its all p193
    P182 - ditto - why not get p193? Price is pretty equal (only 15 quid in it)
    CM Cosmos 1000 - only one 120m fan, don't think its de facto adjustable
    Lian Li PC-b25 - doesn't seem to excel in quietness or cooling, superb looks but I don't care about looks
    902 - still in my running list, but what has it got for sound proofing - is the 193 better

As you can see I'm beginning to think 193 might do it, surprised no one recommended HAF922 tho - is it because its too noisy or what?

But
    * 193 is a BIG case - worried my non-modular straight power PSU isn't gonna work in it, or that its not going to be easy to get working without extra shopping for loads of custom-long cables for other components?
    * It has a lot of smallish fans and then one big fan outside the case - how can it be quiet I don't get it?
    * The GPU is sorted for temps/fans, but not sure about CPU - anyone found a way to improve this?

7. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

I agree with smc8788 I also just bought this case, :thumb:

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

well the lian li has rubber gromets for everything and has very thick side panels with lots of sound dampaning, and it has enough cooling of a mid-end gaming system 3x120mm fans

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Instead of the Lian-Li PC-B25 I'd have a look at the PC-B10 instead. Other than that most interesting cases are already mentioned. Well, all but the Lian-Li PC-P50 and the Lancool derivatives PC-K58/60/62. Oh, and perhaps the Silverstone Raven 2 (RV02).

Apropos Silverstone and Fortress, does anyone know what's happened to the Fortress 2 (FT02)? Shouldn't it be out by now?

10. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Small dorm room and I never even hear my Haf 922, I haven't messed around with an aftermarket cooler yet though.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It should be. Last I heard it was Ocotber/November, but it was supposed to be even earlier than that (I think they had design/manufacturing problems). Apparently it still has the same problems as the RV02 when fitting longer graphics cards though.

12. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I think the P193 is a solid call. It's quiet, extremely well built and will survive a ton of upgrades. The GPU cooling is superb. The rest is still awesome and with fan control, there's plenty of options to go super quiet, or super cool.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

How quiet's the Stacker 830?

14. butter100fly

ok only problem is that I added up what I want to buy last night....it hurts....

how much will the fortress2 cost?

and Kalcifer - where did you get the Devine from?