1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Adding a Windows 2003 server to a 2000 domain

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by StooJ, 6 Nov 2009.

1. StooJ

StooJ What's a Dremel?

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here:

We have two Windows 2000 servers running as AD servers. After picking up a few 2003 licenses I'm trying to add a 2003 server to the mix (with the intention of retiring the old ones in the future).

I've run adprep /forestprep on the schema master and adprep /domainprep on the domain master. Both finished without errors and when I try to run them again, they report that the prep has already been completed.
    However, when I try to run the AD wizard on the 2003 machine, I get an error saying that the "forest is unprepared for installing 2003. Use the adprep command to prepare both the forest and the domain. <snip> The version of Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on this computer."

Any suggestions about what to try next? All the machines are running 32 bit OSes (there was some 32/64 mix incompatibility reported on technet).
    I might be missing something obvious - I'm a Linux server guy normally so am not all that familiar with Windows Server.

Cheers all

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

3. StooJ

StooJ What's a Dremel?

Ah, sorry about that - I should have mentioned.
    Both the 2000 servers are running SP4.