1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE C3 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Nov 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Generally high end 790FX boards are cheaper than high end P55 ones though. The i5 will out perform the 965 C3, I agree, however your comparative that it's better AND cheaper is not strictly true ;)

The Q8200 is pretty naff as well. If I had to get a 775 I would buy an E7500 and run it at 4GHz.

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

That is a duo core processor. I was comparing quad cores. ;)

what abouts video editing/encoding with premiere, after effects or Vegas or even DAW applications like Steinbeg Cubasse with a lot of VST instruments and effects?

I would like to see some benches of a Phenom II 955 or Intel duo E7500 VS above AMD/Intel quads with these kind of applications. Since sites do synthetic and game type benches the dual cores 'seems' to do better. Why not try using some of the above application where a quad core could be shining. Although I would probably use a Tyan Dual Xeon setup for a DAW.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2009
  3. [USRF]Obiwan

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

no, bindi's right. you tried to show that amd can't compete for more money. get a similar mobo and then you have an arguement to opt for amd because it is slightly cheaper. any other point you might have meant with that post doesn't really matter. it comes across as "i5 is better and cheaper", when that is not the case. amd isn't cheaper by much, but is cheaper...

are you trying to be funny?

i doubt that's real, and if it is legit, my e8400 broke 10.2 seconds on the same test, on air...lolz

where's tesla effect, he'll get a kick out of the lunch stuff...

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because your Tyan board is a workstation-server using specific software. We always try to test with what people generally use, not specific scenarios, working to budgets not core-e-peen.

6. trig

i'm getting a man crush on bindi...;)

7. [USRF]Obiwan

No it is completely legit. Its a bench made by Neil Breems (Brimzu) a respected overclocker. In case you did not know. Anyway you can look it up here

And yes I was joking because 6Ghz was on LN2. :D

Anyway my point was that a I750 gives a little more bang for the same money. Or I read the BT benches wrong in the article. So cheap has nothing to do with it. I then compared some basic components. And there was not much difference. Then I thought Bindi did not understand my post and I tried to explain it but.. :duh:

well... :sigh:

Thats understandable. But don't you want to know what Adobe Premiere does with dual and quad cores? aah never mind. I am just curious.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2009
  8. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

For a high end cooling test, I would personally use a top-down cooler to get the heat out of the socket area also.
    I don't believe a Tower cooler can cool the CPU and its socket better than any top-down cooler.

I got my Celeron 325J at 90/65nm to 4.1GHz stable with an SI-128SE and a very loud Papst 120mm fan.
    All the voltage circuits were very pleased with the extreme airflow.....my ears weren't, but then again I could hear it loudly behind a closed door...

9. trig

it would have to be ln2 lol...but im amazed he couldnt crack 10 or even 9 seconds with a 6.2 ghz quad...we understand what your saying, just pointing out how that doesnt come across on that post...

10. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Great article Bindi, thanks! I think this pretty much means I'll be getting an i5 750 then. I was holding out for AMD, just in case this 965 BE C3 was something a bit more special, but it seems for not much more I could do better with Intel. Also, considering I have no need for all the PCI-E lanes and extra memory bandwidth of the 1366 platform, I think 1156 with an i5 750 is the way forward for me.

However I will probably wait for the November Buyers Guide before I start ordering bits. Can you tell me if/when the guide will be out?

Cheers

Guest-16 likes this.
  11. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

Another failure.

12. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

according to what standards?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No problem!

Nov Buyers guide will not change much. Only cost of memory will shift things a little. It's due out next week (I'm starting today)

14. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Wait, maybe I've gone insane; are the clocks/settings of the overclocked i5 and i7 not mentioned anywhere during this review?

If not, surely this is pretty relevant? :-/

15. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

It's 6 months since this review and I for one am building a system with the 965 BE with an ATI 5770. This fits my budget perfectly and looking at many reviews around the CPU is a great performer at a brilliant price.

The 7/10 is one of the lowest scores I've seen but it's good to get a balanced viewpoint I guess.

Tags: Add Tags