1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows The Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'General' started by TempGong, 10 Nov 2009.

1. TempGong

TempGong What's a Dremel?

After seeing all the episodes up to now I find many similarities between my interest and that of the "geeks" of the show (no they're not actually geeks, researched it :p). Although, my understanding of mathematics and physics are on school level yet (Thermodynamics mostly) I get most of the jokes and actually learn some stuff, ok just a little but it's something isn't it?

My similarities are gaming/computer love, comics, having everything labeled and in a certain place, food scheduling (although its mostly house food not ordered). Although, I don't find myself have communication problems and I think that's mostly because none of my friends are "geeks".

Sheldon seems to appeal mostly to me, as an actor as well as a character to the show, maybe because of his voice and such funny characteristics (meaning the huge IQ in contrast to feelings that belong to a 10 year old.).

Whats yours? Why do you love or hate the show? Which is you favorite character?

Anyways just a discussion about the show which appeals to me lately.

P.S. I searched for a thread but didn't find any if there is one that I passed away then be free to move this there or delete the post.

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've seen it a few times. Actually, the one with Summer Glau twice... It is so terrible I can't bear to watch it. It's just not funny and nearly all the characters are irritating. In my opinion.

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's a good comedy show, but nothing compared to the legen - wait for it - dary How I Met Your Mother.

mvagusta likes this.
  4. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

I've been surprised by this show. It's usually on in the background most evenings due to the other half watching it and I do find myself turning around getting involved. Barney is easily the best character.

5. TempGong

I don't disagree, the irritating characters are the most fun to watch actually from my point of view. On another note, why don't you find it funny, I would like your full opinion on the matter.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ditto.

They're supposed to be geeks but lack any gear that makes them as such, not to mention a distinct lack of science-based jokes.

Another thing that annoys me is the forced campness of the characters - haven't we seen enough sitcoms with camp characters yet?

7. will.

I think it's a bit too acted... if you know what I mean. They all wait their turn and speak their lines.

It also seems to me that each gag is set up in exactly the same way. In the group, each one has their 'thing'. The gag starts, they do their 'thing' and then the gag ends on a one liner from someone random. It's just a bit too repetitive.

Some shows get away with it as they have a lot more depth alongside the standard stuff. For example Scrubs had the serious stuff and a nice wide range of characters. So even though they all have their thing, and you pretty much know how each person will bounce off the other, it's not always the same group so you get variation in the gags. Big Bang Theory doesn't seem to have anything like that so it just falls a bit flat.

Also, it has a laugh track. I can't stand laugh tracks.

(+ what Krikkit said)

8. Chazman89

Chazman89 What's a Dremel?

did you know Neil Patrick Harris (Barney) is gay lol, its so funny that he plays such a womanising character.

9. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Thaaaaaaaaaaank Yoooouuuu!

The show irritates me so much. They're tv's view of nerds/geeks not how they are in reality. And I always get by my non-computer literate friends: "I thought you would love that show..."

Oh, and How I Met Your Mother is one of my favorite shows on tv. Gotta love NPH. You know, because it's actually funny.

10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

But then the average joe public wouldn't get half the stuff contained within the show or would laugh without understanding what they are laughing at.

Isn't that the way most comedy shows work? Though +1 on the laugh track, I can't stand them.

11. will.

Yea, it is. They have some variation, or other aspect to them that backs it up and either provides variation or at least hides the fact that each joke is essentially the same little process. This show does none of that.

12. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I quite like it, I watched most of the episodes when I was off with the flu and I quite enjoyed it although I can see where people are drawing their issues from

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

This.

The IT Crowd, however. Genius. Pure ****ing genius comedy gold.

14. will.

The I.T crowd! I like that! It's better in nearly every way simply because the acting is less rigid and the situation is so much more real believable! It still has a laugh track though :( DVD's should give the option to turn it off!

15. TempGong

Well I don't find I.T. Crowd all that fun, its just weird and not believable at all... of course this shows the difference in preference. Although I agree that some of the stuff above, like the laugh track, is quite irritating at times but what should they do? Friends would never been fun without the tracks and believe try it on mute.

16. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Meh i like the big bang theory. There are certain niggles i have with it though, like all there computers being dell and alienware oh the advertising money they must have paid... :mad:

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I like BBT. It's something i can relate to.

I.T. crowd on the other hand is pretty terrible. The only reasonably good act in that series is "Richmond" At least he is supposed to be weird. All the other people over-act way to much. Makes the whole thing look very... plasticky...

Oh, and the girl in BBT looks WAY better.

18. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

I really enjoy BBT and I.T. crowd. BBT, I wouldn't necessarily say its computer geek comedy, more science geek. I can relate to a number of things having recently completed my postgrad research. I.T. crowd on the other hand is definitely computer geek comedy especially for any of us that have worked in I.T. departments within companies.

19. Chazman89

Chazman89 What's a Dremel?

sometimes laugh tracks work though, or at least filmed infront of an audience. Take Red Dwarf for example, when the laughing was there it was quite funny but the jokes didnt seem to work in the new episodes even though it was the same humour.

20. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Loving HIMYM at the mo. Although for me, anything with Alyson Hannigan in is a slice of win. I'd agree that the best / funniest character is Barney - suit up!