1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Nov 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Likewise in India :(
    That's the key - everything is locked down. No custom maps means 9v9 fills a map. One bad thing leads to another. And honestly who plays TDM with 6 players (or even 9) a side?

Nothing changes the fact that this game is basically great single player but at the same time is a very lazy console port. Someone mentioned no SLI/Crossfire support. More reason to tell Activision/IW to sit on it.

2. Redkachina

Redkachina Califragilistsic Expialidocious

I'm not buying this one..I just moved away from console gaming but MW2 feels like a console version regardless of your platform..damn it..

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

SP review - awesome. totaly expected that.
    MP review - bollocks. like another posted above... is like saying they cut my willy off but its ok coz i dont get laid anyway.

well for many of us who do "get laid", its a b1tch.

im really really sad that i have to pass on playing probably the greatest SP content of the year, but MP with all those "forgivable drawbacks" is a total turn-off. i am NOT lowering my standards to console-tards.

good job IW (sarcasm)
    good job BT on the review (NOT sarcasm)

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's disappointing that there is no proper CrossFire/SLI support, but from what I've seen of MW2, it's running on the same engine as COD4/COD5, so SLI and CrossFire aren't going to make the blindest bit of difference because the game already runs like butter on virtually every graphics card in the past three years (if not longer). It's still running on DX9. There's no DX10, never mind DX11.

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

So? Still looks better than most other games on the market - further proving that developers need to learn how to use the tools they have rather than chasing buzzwords to put on the back of the box.

6. $plit

$plit abs0lut3K1LL

i think it was an OK review. I would have liked to have seen a more "technical" review but i suppose that wont happen. My first reaction was .."how much did these boys get paid for this review" it doesnt seem to reflect the opinions you guys have given in the forums. Is it a good game? is it a great game? is it actually better then COD4? Are the graphics improved? Is it or is it not a console port? I like big maps with lots of players..From the vids posted it looks like the maps are full of objects and terrain. So man up and quit being IGN...is it the best ever IW COD game? or did the MP really kill it? $

stonedsurd likes this.
  7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

might grab this when the hype dies down.

Makro have it for £22 btw.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

DX11, from my perspective, is not a buzzword. There are some serious benefits to make worlds much more fluid. The problem CODMW2 looks very, very dated IMO - the shadows are especially annoying for me - but then you've never been wowed by graphics in the past. :)

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

This would be very odd as the engine used in the game (based on benchmarks of MW1) loves SLI/CF (although the benefits are outweighed by the fact it often isn't needed - 1 card is usually enough).

10. CardJoe

We answered those questions. It's a great game, the graphics are better and the whole thing is more varied and exciting than COD4. The reality is that Activision rarely talk to us and we had to fight long and hard to even get review copies.

You're assuming that the answer is simple though - it could be the best IW COD game and be ruined by the MP, right? As it is, the actual gameplay of MP is fantastic, but IWNet is a PITA when it comes to constant lobby dumps and no level ups in private matches, which Harry mentioned in the review.

11. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

If you think you are being at all clever, witty, insightful or, in fact, anything other than brash and petty with that comment you are sorely mistaken. For a start, do you really think Activision would pay for a review that's up a day later than every other site I can think of?

Trust me, if Joe accepted payment to stifle his negative opinions I'd have made him give up his silly his insistence that System Shock 2 is better than Ocarina of Time by now.

12. CardJoe

I'd just rather have this, now, looking and playing like this than having to wait for months and months longer just to get, at best, better SLI performance and shadows I can't see anything wrong with :p

Gameplay > graphics

13. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I've tried playing through COD4 twice and have lost interest both times. It's just far too linear and the excitement wore off after a while. I can't imagine that MW2 will be any different, and the MP issue is a massive turn off.

14. BohleyK

BohleyK Cinnamon Life FTW

Same here.

I knew something was going to be wrong about this game. Since MW1 did so well, all IW had to do was release a sequel and people will pay regardless. Unfortunatly, this flaw only effects PC and IW won't care since they have officially destroyed the competition on console markets.

I guess PC will just have to wait for BF3 or stick with ARMA II for milsim'ers.

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

After all the crap you should have given this 4/10, or less.

16. dreamhunk

dreamhunk What's a Dremel?

17. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I think the hype has inflated it's score. This is just another "bioshock" and somewhere down the line people will stop and think "hey actually this is cod4 bu with more custimization.

It's not the second coming or nothing, it's a solid game all round but offers nothing that hasn't been done before- this game just does a good job of most things.

8/10 I would say, 9 is really too generous..

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

- We don't take industry backhanders. Activision didn't even send us code - we both paid for the game with our own money. We've been talking about this game for months, It was released yesterday - amazingly we're now more informed.

- 9/10 Excellence- Yes

- 9/10 Excellence- Yes

- Despite IWnet's deficiencies, I'd say so yes

It uses Shader Model 3 exclusively now rather than SM2 in COD4. It doesn't make too much difference. The game still runs on almost anything very well. It still looks great.

- Practically identical to the XB360 version bar the obvious stuff (advanced PC graphical options, command remapping etc.) This is no bad thing - the game is still superb, although the loss of MP functionality is obvious and has been discussed in the review in greatly depth.

- You won't like this game then

- For my money yes. Awesome single player, awesome Co-Op in Spec opps and excellent MP that shines through despite IWnet.

- I'd much prefer dedicated servers, I really would, But from my experiences (which is all I can base my review on) IWnet isn't rubbish, and is actually surprisingly capable, especially in terms of matchmaking for which I've had a very positive experience - plenty of challenging and even games.

Man Up? I'm practically sweating testosterone.

I'm fully aware by opinions will go against what a lot of people have come to think following the last few months of bad news out of IW. They feel cheated and let down by IW and it's "console-y" approach to PC gaming. After all, we're all PC gamers here, and it hurts to see our platform get less than it deserves. Lack of mod support, lack of dedicated servers, - these are bad things. But even without them this is still an excellent game. If you feel differently, then show IW by not buying it, but don't presume to tell me that my opinion is wrong simply because you think differently.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

I agree with that, but a game that looks dated compared to everything else is a game that looks dated. As a developer that started life on the PC, I would have thought Infinity Ward would have at least done something for PC gamers. Instead, it's just a straight port with some changes to the interface.

I'd be interested to see whether or not the game has the analogue mouse control issues that most other console ports have... :)

20. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I think we need to call the WAAAAAmbulance!!! Either quit bitching, get over it or try playing it.

Or you could be like me and give up on PC gaming and get an XBOX and get used to it :)

Tags: Add Tags