1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Nov 2009.

1. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I blame it on the English weather, the only sun they see is when Crysis, or in this case MW2 has "good graphics" and can fool their skin into making vitamin D, thus releasing endorphins into their bloodstream and putting them into a eurphoric state where they rate a crap bag like MW2 a 9, lol.

@Zurechial, that made me laugh, gamers these days indeed.

@BT again, I can not believe that we are arguing over the removal of a major multiplayer component being acceptable, it just isnt. And a single-player game that is on rails is also not acceptable, that brings the game down to at least a 7, even with the drugs flowing through your system.

Someone above mentioned that games dont push tech since Crysis. Try Shattered Horizon, it is dx10/11 and a quad core is in the recommended reqs!

Shattered Horizon, the best FPS for years.

Yours in Shattered Horizon Plasma,
    Star¤Dagger

P.S. Shattered Horizon is available at Steam.

2. princessmarisa

princessmarisa What's a Dremel?

yay funtimes

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I have a question, I can't remember if you covered it in the review. Do they still store your account data on your PC, in 'My Documents'?

They are basically saying 'Please cheat, we don't care'. Considering they have dropped servers they could at least dedicate one for accounts. Almost everyone I have talked to who played MW1 and lost their accounts (quite frequently in Australia) just created a new one and altered their data until they were the same rank they were before.

Sorry about the rant, I just find it really stupid.

4. ozz1988

ozz1988 What's a Dremel?

So does it require steam to run?

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I believe I heard (err, read) they are now stored online

6. ut66

ut66 What's a Dremel?

whats going on here... 9? more like a solid 6.

7. RedShirt

RedShirt What's a Dremel?

As someone who has played multiple FPS games at a competitive level (won various leagues etc.) it's obvious to me it lags every single game I join (I have a 20meg connection - UK based). It isn't as bad as I thought, but it is still there - and it is frustrating (yes I knew what was getting myself in for, but the amount of scrubs who have got laggy kills on me is insane!).

If you're a casual gamer it won't bother you because you won't notice it. If your at the top you WILL notice even small differences, just like anyone at the top of any sport/area will see differences that the average person cannot see or understand.

Great for a bit of a laugh and some fun, not so great if getting to the top of the scoreboard is your goal (my kind of fun), as the lag balances the playfield a bit and the amount of perks adds too many variables (i.e. a guy you should kill uses "lolsituationalperk1" and gets you).

Anyway, that's my (admittedly elitist) view on the game. Players who play seriously in leagues/cups need not apply - but you lot already knew that with there being no dedis!

If they had dedis I honestly can't tell you how awesome this game would really be.

8. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

I picked this up for the 360, I wasn't going to bother but for £26 (when Game are offering over that as a trade in) I figured I might as well give it a go.

The SP, whilst being pretty awesome (still a bit arcadey for my taste) , is criminally short, I finished it in under 5 hours on veteran, and that's watching the cut scenes and dying a lot. I'm not the best gamer in the world, but someone with some skill could probably do the campaign in 2.5 - 3 hours on easy whilst skipping the cut scenes.

Spec ops mode is cool, not sure how much real replay value there is here.

MP, well I'm a bit jaded here, mainly because every time I've played its been filled with pre pubescent teens who voice's have not yet broken, going to see if any of my mates pick this up and give it another go. It is just a tweaked version of MW's MP though.

Overall, this game, at least on the 360, feels a lot like an expansion for COD4:MW, the graphics and gameplay and nigh on identical, in both SP and MP modes. IW/Ativision must be laughing all the way to the bank as the production cost for this game must have been minimal.

I do find it funny though that the press and gamers bashed Halo 3: ODST for being Halo 3 again, yet MW2 gets away with it? At least M$ priced ODST at an "expansion pack" price.

This get a solid 6 (above average) on Neat69's 0 - 10 scale :)

9. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

So as expected good SP and MP but a **** online system that isn't so bad that its game breaking and overshadowed the other aspects hence it still got a decent score.

10. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Everyone makes the point that the game runs fine on 1 card. Sure, if you've got 1 good card.

My sister spent £1500 or so on a Dell "gaming" PC. It uses a decent CPU but rather than a single good graphics cards, it's got two "okay" cards to create the performance. Users are being sold gaming PC's which should work as gaming PC's on the majority of modern games...but because MW2 is a console port with no proper PC support, these machines wont run MW2 as they should. My sister is royally pissed off at this.

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

SLI or CrossFire support is NVidia or ATI's prerogative surely? I can only think that those two mid end cards are 6600GTs as this game really will run on anything. An 8800GT is enough to crank everything up to max at 1680x1050. You can't blame a developer for hardware manufacturers not supporting the game yet.

All hosted online via steam - this does mean you can only have one account per steam account though.

Yes. You may be able to crack the singleplayer (as Mankz has), but the MP is fully integrated into Steam

Last edited: 12 Nov 2009
  12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

A clear, fair and unbiased viewpoint on the subject to be sure.

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So basically MP is 50% usable right now yet you're saying that if it actually worked normally it'd be awesome? Why 9/10 then? For SP, sure if it's that's great. But a total of 9/10 is a bad joke if MP is as flawed as it seems to be.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

You're getting good at being wrong, aren't you? :rolleyes:

I was only discussing re-visiting the multiplayer portion of this game in a few months with Alex at 7pm last night. We were talking about how difficult it is to rate a multiplayer game on day two (never mind day one) and a game as a big as Modern Warfare 2 warrants a second look - especially where multiplayer is concerned. I'm very worried about IWNet in particular - especially with regards to dealing with cheats - and we'll have to see how it actually plays out.

We can only report what we have seen and, not surprisingly, that is what we based our review on.

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Putting MP down to a usability score isn't really an option. IWnet worked just fine for us, and delivered an awesome MP experience, albeit with some frustrating constraints that we're none too happy with. It's still a lot of fun in multiplayer - I know I'll be spending all weekend on it, and as someone that's played games at a competitive level (yeah, ok, it was BF1942, but still) and Modern Warfare (original) religiously for the last 2 years, that got to count for something.

16. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Seriously guys, what you need to do is do another review and slate the crap out of this game just to shut everyone up! I've never read sooooo many negative comments, Why won't people just accept that it might god forbid actually be a good game! It's not COD4 it's the sequel so the developers can put in or take out whatever the hell they want. It's been that way for years so why does it still shock so many people when it happens?! I've not even played the game and I'm part of the IW has screwed the PC version movement but I'm willing to accept that it could actually be a good game despite it's console ported nature. If you aren't going to read the review but still comment just to say that the game is crap when you've never played it GTFO >.<

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

This is the internet and that's never going to happen. :)

What's especially amazing is the accusations of being paid by Activision to write the review Harry and Joe wrote - thanks for the vote of confidence, guys! <sarcasm>Hell, if that's the case, our cheque must have got lost in the post because we haven't received it yet.</sarcasm> We also haven't received our copies of the PC version of the game we asked for either, so we had to go out and buy them to get this review done in a timely manner. Activision isn't going to pick up the bill for them, nor are they going to pick up the bill for lost time in the office because Joe/Harry queued to buy the game like everyone else.

On a serious note, the best thing to do if you don't like what Infinity Ward has done to the game is not to buy or pirate it. Pirating it will just force developers (not just Infinity Ward) further away from the PC and we'll get more multiplayer games without dedicated servers and even more 'after thought' console ports. I'd like to see the PC continue as the best gaming platform - I can't do without my keyboard and mouse - and if its users continue to pirate games like this out of spite, it'll just kill the platform quicker.

If both sales and piracy rates are both low, then the game has serious issues that the developers and publishers will have to look at correcting, but if sales are low and piracy rates are high, developers/publishers are going to look at it in a completely different way. It'll just push them away from the platform even further.

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Why didn't she check with you (you sound like you decent knowledge of pc hardware) before splashing out £1500 on a 'gaming' pc which is barely able to game?

Swap out the 'average' cards and replace them with a £75 HD4850, there, jobs a good'un. (Heck, even a second hand 8800GT/9600GT will suffice).

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Fair enough. :thumb:

But:
    There's never been anything as good as WON. :D

20. sc.uk^cRoSsFir3

sc.uk^cRoSsFir3 What's a Dremel?

I'm getting dayjarvoo...Operation FlashPoint 2?

Good hype, ok singleplayer but the multiplayer is shocking with no dedi servers and everyone screaming console port.

Made the mistake of getting that so won't be getting this :)

Tags: Add Tags