1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrrrrr bigadv down the drain!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 12 Nov 2009.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Am slightly annoyed as I lost a bigadv WU yesterday on 97%!!! :wallbash:

On this particular i7 machine im running the new VMware player 3 and using the 8 CPU mod to run the Linux box virtually, its pulled off a few bigadv's quite happily but yesterday something happened to the Windows 7 display driver and the machine BSOD'd while it was running the VM.

After it rebooted I kicked off the VM again but it moaned about corrupt work files, scrapped it and downloaded a new one, only had 3% to go! doh! :wallbash: :waah:

2. AlchemyFire

AlchemyFire What's a Dremel?

What's mod you running to use VMware with a cores?

3. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey phoenicis wannabe

it could be worse matey,i lost 580,000 points a few months back because notepad refused to do what it had always done for me,edit my username when we changed back from customPC user folding.
    cheers spunky

4. coolamasta

See here mate - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=177424

Ouch mate! my 50,000 lost points is nothing compared to 580,000 not good at all!
    Sort of remember reading something about that actually, I always use Notepad++ for editing config files as it keeps the UNIX format or whatever it is.

Ah well such as folding life eh lol... :worried:

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Oh mate you had me worried there for a few seconds. I thought by your thread title that Stanford had taken the bigadv work servers offline and scrapped that aspect of the project entirely :eek:

I've been trying desperately for the past week to get bigadv units folding properly on my new i7 machine but I've had absolutely no luck with it whatsoever and have given up. It seems like every time I get round one obstacle or error message I run into another. Extremely frustrating.

6. coolamasta

Oops sorry mate lol just me having a moan! :duh:

What issues are you getting with running bigadv's Matt? Stability?

7. Pixelatedaddiction

Pixelatedaddiction What's a Dremel?

Ouch, Thats sucks.

8. AlchemyFire

AlchemyFire What's a Dremel?

Thanks coolamasta

9. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

Folding uses linux-style text files. These use one special character to mark the end of a line,
    instead of two as Microsoft used to. Wordpad works, Notepad does not. You can use a web
    browser to view them.

You are supposed to restart with the -configonly option, instead of editing the file.

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I lost a bigadv yesterday at 92%. Bloody customer actually wanted their 16 core server back :miffed:

11. coolamasta

What are customers like these days, no respect eh! lol :lol:

12. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

Not the same thing I know but I lost 4 gpu work units When I reset the time on my pc it thought that the deadline had been passed and stopped them all. :wallbash: Mike

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

to bad notfred does not support -Bigadv yet as that backs up the data every 15 mins so when it starts back up it would of used the last back up point (lose at most 15mins work)

14. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

So will the machine still be folding quietly in the background when the customer starts it up :naughty:

15. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Afraid not. Too many IT guys in America who'll want to have a look at the exchange install I just did on that server.
    I have put first dibs on the server it's replaced (an 8 core unit)

I've also got another 16 core server to test this week

16. Unicorn

Initially, yes, although I'd had problems with error messages in the VM before that. Configuring it via the web interface doesn't give you all the options needed to run bigadv units and it's better to disable the web UI in the console and config it from there.

Back to the stability issues. On 4.0GHz the machine was unstable whilst doing any kind of SMP folding, so I dropped it back to 3.8 and things seemed to be going all right but then the machine locked up after about 30 minutes of running the bigadv VM. So as a last resort I took the overclock off completely and tried to run some normal SMP units at the stock CPU freq. Can I just say at this point that the machine was struggling to run the VM at any settings. The hard drive was on 100% read and write whilst the client was running which seemed strange and wrong to me. Even at stock settings, and with just the VM running the SMP client, the machine locked up and needed a manual reset.

I have no idea what's going on with it. Maybe XP32 isn't able to run that client. It's kinda frustrating that the OP of the EVGA article on this subject doesn't mention which OSes it's compatible with.

17. coolamasta

Damm thats no good mate :( I have no idea if it will work on a 32-bit OS because of the memory allocation like I was saying the other day.
    The 2 machines im running this bigadv VM on are Vista x64 and Win 7 x64 and besides the graphics driver having a wobbly and BSOD'ing the machine (which has not happened again btw) then the VM's seem to run perfectly happy for me :)

Have you got Win 7 RC1 you could whack 64 bit vers of that on and give it a go? Also I assume you have done long stress testing on the i7 using LinX etc?

Took me a while to fid 100% stable 3.8 and 4ghz overclocks, I could run LinX for 2 hours plus and it would seem stable but would reboot itself or lock up while folding...

Stick you bios settings up for 3.8 & 4ghz mate...

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

-bigadv needs 3.8gb ram, on an 32bit OS heavy pageing can happen (32bit os can only access 3gb-3.5gb and lot less if muti video cards are installed, 64bit will have access to all ram)

norm notfred SMP needs about 1.1gb

19. Unicorn

I'm gonna buy a copy of the full 64 bit version for myself this week mate, the RC is no longer available to download and I haven't got a key for it. I've done extensive stress testing on the i7 at 3.8 and 4GHz, it's not stable at 4 (temp related) but at 3.8 it's fine. I stressed it for more than 3 hours one night and it was flawless. I'm starting to believe more and more that the bigadv VM needs a 64 bit host.

I have 6GB of the fastest DDR3 memory money can buy in that machine mate, it couldn't be a memory issue. Some of the errors I've been getting during game installs on this machine are supposed to be memory related, but that inof comes from a couple of game forums where they mostly know nothing about PC hardware - I blame EA's s**t buggy coding and besides, memtest tells me that all 3 modules are perfect. I tend to agree.

20. Frank_Kehoe

Frank_Kehoe Folder

I just lost a bigadv on 64%. :wallbash: