1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases URGENT: Need help from HAF 932 Cooler Master owners! Will force make 4 sockets fit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LarsJurgen, 13 Nov 2009.

1. LarsJurgen

LarsJurgen What's a Dremel?

Hello fellow computeraics!
    I need your help urgently, I am putting together the monster of monster workstations for myself, I don't want to delay any more than I need to! :D
    Mmmm, 64 GB ram with a ramdisk living inside it... *drooooling with distant glaring eyes*

At the heart we find a Tyan Thunder n4250QE S4985-E (S4985G3NR-E). The problem? Its size!
    16.2"x13" (411x330mm)... Not a lot of cases that can hold it, even fewer towers. None in fact, that I know of. Problem is, I want a tower! I want a good looking tower! I want a functional tower!

I know for a fact the Cooler Master Haf 932 full tower does not support it. But with a little hacking, sawing and grinding? From the looks of it, I say it seems it will fit if one remove/bend the top PSU holders giving free passage to it, no? I need help from a kind soul having a Cooler Master HAF 932 full tower, opening up their monster and picking up a ruler to help me measure her up! Will a 411x330 beast fit within the red area? Any other parts that will put up a fight?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Nov 2009
  2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If you were to literally saw off all the HDD bays and the Disk drive bays, then perhaps. But you're not going to be albe to it a PSU in it.

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Are you planning on adding the extension board later on? In that case I'd say no. :)

4. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

5. LarsJurgen

I know of the Akiwa, but thank you anyway :D
    The problem is I can't get it here, the freight with (it weights a ton, 44kg!) import/vat/etc. all add up to roughly the same as what I am getting the entire system for... :( Besides, it is fugly compared to the HAF imho.

No, I will not add the extra board to the system. 4 * 4 * 2,X ghz is plenty!

I don't want to go as extreme as to remove all bays, just the top PSU/water colling aids, the questions is, will that do it? Putting the PSU at the bottom below the motherboard as in one of the pictures.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Wow. You don't want a lot do you?

What kind of workstation are you building? Will you really be using that much power, or is it just epeen?

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

i can do so when i get home tonight, which will be 3 1/2 hrs from now

8. LarsJurgen

Astronomy image editing. Think "many" tiles & layers of 4008 x 2672 "ish" images. Each image is made up of a minimum of 4 layers (L-R-B-G/Ha-Ha-Sii-Oiii). 3x3 tiling is nothing. Each "part" (1 image for 1 layer in a say 9 tile used is produced from 5-40 individual images, with 10-100 frames used for calibration (Dark/flat/bias). A 2x2 binned image is 5-10 MB, a 1x1 20-40 with no history. It all adds up fast...

Many thanks Horizon! :thumb:

Last edited: 14 Nov 2009
  9. Krikkit

Fair enough - you'd be surprised how many folks go down the route of mega-workstations and only need a decent quad core.

Having said that I reckon a decently OC'd pair of quads with a decent amount of DDR3 would do the job. Add in a decently-sized SSD for a scratch drive, and you're on a winner. :)

That, and it solves your case troubles.

10. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

i go on slashdot so...

... build a beowulf cluster :D

11. LarsJurgen

Slashdot eh? But... does it run linux?

Oh I know Krikkit, for most it will :) But I have half of the parts from my current rig and the mobo & cpu's are basically given to me, just the memory left and it is about as cheap/expensive as any platform. A regular i7 "only" holds 6 slots, this holds 16.
    Besides, I will actually put this system on its knees :D

12. Krikkit

Well if you do build this monster I demand pics. :D

13. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Ditch the HAF 932 for the Corsair Obsidian 800D -- you'll instantly fall in love. If not? Well then... that's a shame. But it is a better case in everyway for your needs (size, form factor, drive space, cable management).

14. LarsJurgen

I reviewed the Obsidian 800D but I couldn't see any chance to fit the board, the Eatx is cramped in it. I just can't see how to fit a meb without performing a surgically graft extension :(

15. Krikkit

If the HAF doesn't work then some of the LianLi full towers should work without much chopping. The PC-A77 looks to be especially capacious. :)

16. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

The Obsidian is a bigger case than the HAF, particularly in terms of vertical spacing since it is pre-built for a radiator to be mounted up top. This should give you a lot more vertical flexibility in mounting the case. As for horizontal? The images you put up of the HAF show it covering the cable management slots, but the cable management slots on the 800D are placed with an EATX board in mind (there is still a bit of space between the holes for cable management and the end of an EATX motherboard). I don't see how you wouldn't be able to fit that board into the 800D *easier* than the 932 (I'm not expecting it to be a drop in fix) since the 800D is a giant amongst full size towers.

ADDED: The Lian Li PC-P80 would be a last resort imo.

17. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

front to back, from the hdd cages to the edge to the I/O plate is about 13.25in. Top to bottom edge of the 230mm case fan to the top of the psu is 15.375in.

so the motherboard area is approximately 337mm x 391mm

You're okay on the width but it's going to be REAL tight, if you are willing to remove the top fan you can make the height otherwise not.

18. LarsJurgen

The LianLi's don't work because of how all are designed above the IO plate, tons of stuff/psu there all the time, at least in all I checked, including the mentioned ones :(

I don't see how it will fit height-wise in the Obsidian 800D, but if you can measure & see if you think there is a chance it will fit, I would be grateful!

Thank you Horizon! You are my hero! :D How thick is the fan? 2 cm?
    A whopping whole 7 mm to spare ^^

19. Krikkit

How are you going to be cooling this monstrosity? Not stock cooling I hope... :(

20. LarsJurgen

Cooling? :D We all know CPU's & GPU's have become so efficient passive bare die cooling is enough!