1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC vs PS3, consensus?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GregTheRotter, 14 Nov 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Ok, so I've always been a pc gamer. The fact that I prefer a mouse and keyboard to a controller, and the cheaper prices of pc games has kept me away from consoles. Now a guy I work with keeps going on and on that the PS3 has better graphics than the equivalent PC games. I call bs. What can I say to shut him up? The fact that he thinks he can compare a rig that could have two high end GPU's at a res of 2560 x something or other , seems laughable to me. Give me some ammo guys :D Oh and you can also connect your pc to the tv to game from there, not to mention use a controller on some of the popular games if you must, so it's a moot point. Yeah I know that you don't have to keep upgrading your card too. But at the end of the day, what has better graphics?

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

$300 PC < $300 PS3.

thats the only way PS3 beats PC in GFX. for controls, its all based on opinions. I personally prefer controllers over mouse and keyboard. also consoles dont have compatibility problems and way more people play online on consoles than on PC.

3. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

both the 360 and ps3 have decent graphics but i would say a half decent pc will still better both, but the thing that keeps me a die hard pc gamer is playing first person shooters with a keyboard and mouse, there is no way a console joypad can compete, infact the only console i will play a fps is the wii and the graphics a nowhere as good as all the rest but the wii motion control and nunchuck are very good for fps, mabe one day there will be a hd wii or xbox or ps with motion control to prise me away from pc gaming but untill then its pc all the way

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Minimodder

If the pics of Gran Turismo 5 are anything to go by then the PC doesn't stand a chance. But then that's down to developers and not the power of the PC.

Comparing cross-platform titles then the PC does usually have the edge with further draw distance and more objects on screen from what I've noticed.

PS3 hasn't got Crysis but doesn't mean it couldn't run it. We'll see when Crysis 2 comes out as hopefully Crytek aren't lazy sods and actually make optimised versions for each platform.

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

This ^^

In the UK a PS3 is about £220, You simply cant get a PC that will produce the same graphics for that price, but with a PC you get soo much more than a PS3 can offer imo. If you spent £500 on a PC youd have a machine that can best the PS3 graphics wise, have access to cheaper games which in the long run would offset the initial extra costs. Yes some games may take some time to get running perfectly on a PC but thats all part of the fun

You dont have to sit in the computer room to play games on a PC, my HTPC is quite capable of the odd game and with a 360 pad the experience is exactly the same as using a console tbh.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's not always a good thing when >75% of them are either whining, pre-pubescent kids or just complete douchebags. I can't bear the thought of playing online on a console, it's just a much poorer experience all round, including the community.

When it comes to controllers vs. mouse and keyboard, I'm sorry, but there's really no contest. Trying to play RTS or FPS games on a controller is merely a lesson in futility. It just can't be done with the severe limitations the controller imposes, and every developer that has tried to make an RTS game for a console has said the same thing. The only thing I prefer a controller for is driving games, but even then driving wheels are always preferable and it's not exactly hard to connect an Xbox or PS3 controller to your PC if you do want to use one.

As you say, the graphics on the PS3 come nowhere near to what PCs can achieve, and when you consider the GPU in the PS3 is several generations old, it's understandable. No matter how good the developers are or how well optimised their game engines are, there's only so much graphical power they can extract from the severely outdated hardware. Running a PC game and a PS3 game side by side will yield obvious differences; PS3 games often look horrible with a complete lack of AA and lower framerates (often locked at 30FPS) than PC games, so they not only look better but play more smoothly too. Even highly consolified PC ports look better on the PC as you can increase the resolution and force AA in the GPU drivers.

As for comparing based on price, it's a common misconception that gaming PCs are more expensive than consoles and I cringe whenever I see it used as the crux of a consoles vs. PC argument, which means this:

is inaccurate. The vast majority of people already own a PC, so just slap in a $100 graphics card (which will be vastly better than the GPU in the 360 or PS3), and you're good to go playing games at higher resolutions and settings than on a console. Whack in a $300 graphics card and watch them fly.

Hope that's enough ammunition for you :)

Last edited: 14 Nov 2009
  7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

That's absolutely true. But how many people do you know that have a PS3 and don't have a computer? If you took even half the price of a PS3 and sunk it into your existing craptastic desktop, you'd soon have a machine more than capable of kicking ass and taking names.

This surely isn't true? What about all the WoW players etc? Also you get a lower standard of gamer on consoles online, in my bitter experience. Hardcore online PC players are heavy on Germanic nutters who are wired on Benzedrine and pop you in the head before you can even swear, but at least they don't hump your corpse. The issue, I think, is that consoles are bought by and for a younger population than PCs, which require a bit more know-how and often quite a lot of money.

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

All of this has simply proved to me that the guy I work with, is a retard :D Pah. That's the thing, they don't seem to realise that I can just as easily connect my pc to a HD TV with a wireless keyboard, mouse, controller, and have exactly the same, if not better experience lol.

9. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

As others have said, the PC can't compete on price, but throw money at it and the PC will beat anything. If you are going to have a console, the PS3 is the one to go for (IMHO), having had a 360 originally, a wii and a PS3.

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Not even close.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

maybe with noobs games like Halo and COD that attract little bratty kids. but if you play serious hardcore games like Socom Confrontation you dont have to deal with that. HA! :)

IMO PS3>>>>PC for gaming. For everything else PC>>>>PS3

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

That's not entirely true, PS3 actually costs more, because if you want the graphics and sound, you need to splash out on a HD TV, and maybe even a good 5.1 kit, so you can enjoy each and every head shot. Although, having said all of that, it's all moot if you already have the Audio/Video equipment.

Sam

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you can use a computer monitor. and you need good sound for PC too so that extra cost are the same for both.

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I tire of these dogged efforts to draw be-all and end-all WICH R BETTR conclusions in a field of consumerism that is defined by multiple choices to suit personal means. It's like bickering over whether Victoria Sponge or Chocolate Cake should be exclusively baked for the rest of time. Just shut the hell up and eat whichever one you think is the most delicious.

October likes this.
  15. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i can sit/slouch/lie on my sofa 10 feet away from my massive plasma TV and play the same game you're playing, listening to my THX Ultra 2 certified home theatre literally shake my entire living room, without having to faff with patching, configuration, compatibility, or whether it can cope. I can do this within 3 minutes of getting home from work, in the time it takes me to hit the 'play console' macro on my harmony remote and pour myself a single malt.

can you?

Last edited: 15 Nov 2009
  16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No, but I can wake my computer up from sleep in a couple of seconds when I get home, then load up a game on Steam in 30 seconds, without having to faff around with patches because it's been updated automatically, and jump into a lag-free game on a server with people I know that aren't going to shout abuse at me every time I kill them.

There's not a lot of point having an awesome audio setup if the experience is only let down by the mediocre visuals with a ton of jaggies (which is why the sound setup I have at my desk is better than that in my living room ATM). Not to mention the fact that not everyone has a 'massive plasma TV' :p

Horses for courses, I guess.

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

true, but you've left out the most important bit: the sofa!

BTW I also game on a fairly decent PC, but frankly I'm starting to be less and less bothered by visuals and more concerned about comfort. Call me old but I prefer sofas to office chairs, in which I now spend most of my waking hours.

18. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

ive always considered a console as a compromise over a pc in terms of graphics but a console at the price will keep up with a pc probably over twice the price or more. and the fact that i just want to play games on my tv instead of a computer stuffed in a corner

some games on live are full of kids but some titles are better than others. and i dont find it that big of a deal

19. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

I have both and generally prefer gaming on the PC however there are some things the PS3 excels at over the PC e.g. adventure type games (e.g. Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, Uncharted etc) and racing games, along with peripheral games such as Singstar, Guitar Hero just because of the controller I would say as well as it is more of a social machine for people actually at your house. The PC though excels at FPS, strategy, RTS, MMOs etc. In the end I tend to spend most of my gaming time on the PC but wouldn't really be without the PS3 as that it where the most fun is to be had when people come round. Oh and combined with PS3 Media Server (free PC app that streams music, video etc) it is great at streaming stuff from the PC to the PS3 and watching e.g. films and so on on the telly or listening to music on the big 5.1 telly sound system.

20. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Wrong, my PC cost me around $240, and I can play Fallout 3 on medium setting, 1360x768 @ 45 fps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.