1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft confirms GPL code use

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm only worried when MS does something promptly with out dragging its heals and being a general obstacle, it worries me :)

3. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I think it's a really smart move by Microsoft. They admitted their mistake, found out why it happened and are re-instating it with all the bells and whistles. They obviously felt the need to release it early due to netbook upgrades as Windows 7 is the ONLY choice of OS for Netbooks today!

4. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Ohhh please tell me that my eyes decive me. Did you just say "Windows 7 is the ONLY choice of OS for Netbooks today!". Oh please, ohhh please.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I know, it's worrying. It's almost like Microsoft are trying to be an honest company.

6. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

yeah there must be some reason they really want us to download and use this tool... very unmicrosoft like behavior.

7. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Perhaps this code is the start of Cyberdyne through MS?

8. alexicore5000

alexicore5000 What's a Dremel?

how many people have returned netbooks because they didn't understand the bundled operating system?

9. crazyceo

The Linux returns were huge until Asus changed it's tune after the Linux fanboys started whining about the bad press. Then their statements were retracted rather sharpish and never mentioned again.

And no your eyes didn't deceive you, there is only one true OS for netbooks today and it's Windows 7! Please don't come back with some stupid Linux arguement, we don;t do communism here!

10. alexicore5000

Its nice when somebody does their research and understands the market. Windows 7 will do wonders for the netbook market.... particularly those with touchscreen technology. XP is good, but old. Linux can be optimised to a greater extent , but the average (uniformed) user wants to run MS Word and Outlook and such. This is the same same debate on the desktop so i'm repeating old news tbh.

obviously theres OSX....but we know whats happened there http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/11/16/judge-rules-against-psystar/1

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Does this mean Microsoft is now going open-source? The open-source community has always considered itself to be the anthithesis of Microsoft. What will they do now?

12. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

M$ had no choice but to release the code under the GPL. That's the nature of the GPL. It's not philanthropy on their part. The employee responsible was sacked.

The GPL is Microsoft's antithesis. If you do your research you'll see why.

M$ have been caught with their pants down on this one and I'm sure there are red faces in Redmond all around the board table.

My biggest surprise is that the code got released in the first place ie. that it passed all of M$'s internal checks. It just goes to show how poor those checks are. Then again, this isn't surprising given the number of bugs that come with every new release of windows.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2009
  13. crazyceo

Name any new release of an operating system that didn't come out with bugs? Every new release has them, even XP was a dog in the early years. Don't get started on incompatible OSX or open doors Linux since those OS are only for the minority groups, not enough users to actually measure a good release or not.

14. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

You are clearly deluded. Linux is not a minority grouping. Linux DOMINATES windows on the server. Hell, even MS submitted some linux kernel code because they were worried windows couldn't even be run virtualised on linux. lol. Then again, go and look at how many of the top 500 supercomputers run linux and how many run windows. Then come back and try and tell anybody - let alone me - that linux is a 'minority' OS. lol. Now, what router are you using? Does it run linux? Most do. My Netgear does. And what about mobile phones? Linux is a big player in mobile telephony hand sets, oPhone, Android, etc. Again, no minorities there I'm afraid. You know, to try and make out that linux is some sort of 'minority' operating system run by a select few is really showing your ignorance of what actually goes on in the tech world.

steveo_mcg likes this.
  15. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Holy linux pwnage, batman.

16. alexicore5000

seriously high horse...pretty sure he was referring to the consumer market

17. RSDeuce

RSDeuce What's a Dremel?

And in the case of the routers, smartphones, netbooks, tablets, etc... The user is kept as far from the Linux kernel as possible. The OS lies behind as thick a veneer as possible, so they don't even know it is Linux.

Supercomputers aren't used by users, they are used by SysAdmins, at least. Probably more often by a person with a doctorate than anything else. Servers are ONLY touched by admins. Sounds an awful lot like a minority to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love what each linux flavor is capable of, and I have a huge appreciation of what it means to the marketplace, but it remains a "minority" in the user marketplace in context of what I believe the guy above meant. Users do not know a thing about it. And it most assuredly has no huge share of the desktop OS space, and probably never will.

18. quack

quack Minimodder

19. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

The GPL is a free software licence. It's got nothing to do with "open-source".

Tags: Add Tags