1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bit-tech adds new competitions feature

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 Nov 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

congrats! It would be nice if it was more clear as to WHO the competitions were open to as I went over to check them out and they all seem to be for UK residents only. . . . .

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Probably best to assume that unless stated otherwise. Bit-tech is a British company/site afterall!

4. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Is there supposed to be no way to get to that area other than typing the URL? Or am I being blind?

EDIT: Also, please fix the carousel so that selecting an item resets the timer to skip to the next item - it's a bit annoying selecting, say, option 3 only to have the selection jump to 4 right away.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2009
  5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

It would be cool if you could just store my name/address etc. once, so it's tied to my account. Save me typing and all that.

6. Sifter3000

Currently URL only; it's still in testing.

7. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Well it's a bonus to see competitions held for us U.K. residents, unlike those fellow over at Toms Hardware who have a U.K. site and only U.S. competitions.

+1 Bit Tech :eek:)

Well, can't say if you are blind or not, but the links in the text work fine.

8. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Why do the competitions automatically opt-in so that "our partners may contact you about products and services that will be of relevance to you via direct mail, phone, e-mail and SMS"?

If they're going to do that, there should be an opt-out box on the entry submission page, or at the very a least a link to relevant page to allow to opt-out immediately.

I've also noticed that once you submit an entry, if you follow the link to enter another competition, click on the next one you want to enter, the correct answer is already selected ;)

Last edited: 17 Nov 2009
  9. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I likes me the look of the Sharkoon headphones...

10. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

kk. went to show people in the office and got confused as to where on the site to point them :) FWIW, we say thumbs up.

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

God, that's getting on my nerves!
    "Daily deals including Zune HD!"

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I thought this was a legal requirement under DP legislation?

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I was just thinking how ugly they were XD looks toolbagified to me- with that green on black

14. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I'll rephrase it: Why am I opted-in by default, with no way to choose otherwise?

15. rodrigobiz

rodrigobiz What's a Dremel?

international competition will come, until that I will be using this great site =D

16. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Ahh, the good ol arguement rears it's ugly head, 'But bit tech is an INTERNATIONAL SITE'. . . . .

Either way, it's not very clear and I read the rules and regs (since it didn't say in them) and the only way to see it was for UK residents was if you tried to actually fill in the forms and the only choice you got for country was UK.

17. capmoq

capmoq What's a Dremel?

Guys this thing crashes my web browser. If I enter the competition then i can't choose a country or anything. It freezes. ONly a problem of mine?

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It happens on US sites all the time, so what's the problem when a UK site does it?

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yes, that's what I meant - I was replying to your second paragraph.

I though it was a legal requirement to provide an option to opt-out. I thought it was illegal to opt people in automatically without offering the option to opt out at the time of subscribing/entering/whatever.

20. Sifter3000

Another of the reasons we've got the new comps site is to make sure that it does comply with Data Protection laws - and it is now 100% compliant with UK law. Dennis's privacy policy is linked to on every page of the site, and when you enter a competition and the relevant part you want is here:

"You can also unsubscribe to any/all lists by sending an email request to privacy@dennis.co.uk."

Tags: Add Tags