1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks ADSL Router advice please

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by johnmalc, 16 Nov 2009.

1. johnmalc

johnmalc That shouldn't happen....

I've been asked by my sister to recommend a new ADSL wireless router for her in Scotland. Whilst I know what works well here in Greece I prefer to take advice from a UK user with hands on experience.

The main problem is, as many can sympathise, a teenage son who hogs the whole of the bandwidth with multiple Youtube/Myspace pages open whilst chatting to the world. At best they have a 6Mbs connection, often throttled to 2Mbs (Eclipse is the provider) and she often simply cannot open a web page. So I imagine a decent QoS setup is required here so she can give herself some kind of priority in the queue. Also required is a detachable antenna as she needs her high gain setup to punch through 60cm thick stone walls. Price isn't an issue, she needs some bandwidth back....:wallbash:

That's about it, any advice?

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

edit her sons HOSTS file to loopback myspace and youtube.:naughty:

3. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles

Fixed that for you :thumb:

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

change your broadband package if your getting throttle because of usage cap. OR get the child under control and stop him going nuts on the net.

6mb connection is pretty good and should have no issue with loading pages even if hes on youtube myspace 24/7

gettting a decent router with QoS and a high gain aerial isnt gunna be cheap probly around £100+ plus the pain setting it all up.

also he must be using limewire or something downloading cause youtube and myspace on a 6mb or 2mb connection wouldnt stop her computer loading webpages.

at my home we are on 10mb and my brother and i are very heavy users but my mum can use the internet just fine and also my dad.

is she wireless at the minute ? sounds like it could be the wireless signal thats the problem

5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

but then she herself couldnt go on youtube/myspace ;) if its just on her sons pc then its just him :p

6. johnmalc

Just to clarify a few points.

She is hard wired, he's on wireless.

She already has the high gain antenna.

The deal was 6Mb with no capping, then Eclipse changed their terms; this is an ongoing situation.

The 2Mb cap is only lifted late at night

The son is most definitely using all the bandwidth, disconnect the antenna and she gets the bandwidth back.

This isn't a forum for parenting advice....

Can anybody recommend a router?

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've just seen reviewed the D-Link DSL2740R which is a Wireless N standard device, and reviewed very well.

As for bandwidth throttling - if the router can't do it (the review didn't cover it) my best advice would be the following:

Change the kid's user to a "user" not an "administrator", then as administrator force his Wifi NIC to connect at 1mbps to the wireless network, instead of 54mbps.

This will force his throughput right down.

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I know how she feels, O2 throttle my speeds from 5pm till about midnight and my connection becomes so slow i cant even watch a youtube video even if im the only person on the damn net!!

If her provider changed the terms of the agreement surely thats her way out of the contract with them? Maybe searching for a different provider that wont throttle her speed?

Cant really think of what to recommend but the Belkin N+ series seem to get good press.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

10. johnmalc

Thanks for the advice. Have to say the Belkin N+ looks the part. The antennae aren't detachable but we can just link up the old router/antenna to extend the wireless range, and the USB port seems a cheap way to add NAS.

Re Netlmiter, got the latest Beta running on W7 64. Looks impressive but documentation appears sparse, anybody got a link to a decent HowTo?

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's pretty strait forward.. just set the up/down speeds next to the app running- it will remember.. it can act as a firewall also and warns of apps opening ports- can be turned off if needed though

you can set a global up/down speed for that machine (which is what you need it for).. click the limits tab and then highlight the top entry (your computer name)

now check the limit boxes next to the computer name and click on the limit number to set up/down speeds.. your all set

you can split up the bandwidth 50/50 between the 2 rigs like that.. or 80/20 whatever- give the boy 10% if you like heheh

12. johnmalc

Ahh, so it has to be setup on each machine? I was trying to control everything on my network from my rig, but couldn't see any of the other PCs.......:wallbash: I'll give it a go, thanks for taking the time to explain.