1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Gaming 7 - Modern Warfare 2 and getting into the industry

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Nov 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

Excellent podcast, especially the MW2 discussion

3. Sifter3000

And Harry's singing...

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I was singing? I should listen to this thing more often to make sure what get's put in. My reputation could be at stake!

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

There are a few points in the IWNet discussion that I disagree with or would like to comment on.

You said you didn't know what IWNet was going to be like yet I expect anyone who has played COD4 on xbox or playstation would have known what to expect. I've not used it on PC but I expect it is exactly the same as what you get on the consoles.

There is also a bit of discussion about why they have dropped the PC server stuff that we had in COD4. In essence I think the you missed the point that as a company they decided to save money and development time by reusing console code on the PC, rather than spending time re-implementing the dedicated server and browser code from COD4. Why would they want to spend time and money doing that for a platform that is much smaller and rife with piracy.

Joe mentioned that they had lost their stats on which maps people most liked. I disagree. If anything they have more stats now, with a centralised lobby system they will still be able to see what maps people are skipping and which maps have the highest dropout rate etc. Just because you can't select a map doesn't mean they can't see which are popular.

6. Sifter3000

Yes, I think you're right - I thought it was strange when they said that. If IW runs IWNet, it's going to get access to an absolute ton of stats.

Of course, the panel were right when they hinted that using IWNet makes it easier to monetise online COD play on the PC in the future - which is doubtless the way they want to go, given how many people pirate the actual game itself.

7. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Harry - you are exactly right about the airport level, it is by far the best.

Jamie, Alex - you're assuming that IWNet's listen servers are given/collect data about matches. It would be bizarre in the extreme if they didn't, true, but it's possible they are only used for 'handshaking,' so to speak.

Also, the code for dedicated servers is there, as proved by hackers reimplementing it. It just makes the omission even more galling. But, MW2 is still brilliant fun so meh, if that's the compromise I have to make to get a PC version at all, it's actually okay by me.

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't Left 4 Dead similar in that you don't get a server browser and dedicated servers? Or was that only the early days?

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I think the podcast was a really good one. A really fair, balanced discussion on MW2 (I ended up buying it myself) on the upsides and downsides of the game.

I think the summary about MW2 is Activision is pushing PC Gamers in a direction that we don't want.

10. Geoff x

Geoff x What's a Dremel?

Why is there twelve minutes of silence at the end?

11. Sifter3000

If you play it backwards you can hear satanic messages.

Either that or.... er....

12. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

thats nice you can't select a map but you can see which are popular, just
    what good does that do you. also the way they set up mp will not stop
    piriating on the pc or console its just a feeble excuse like balance lol console players have taken cheap shots at the pc gamers but when they
    start to put the screws to console gamers well see who yells the loudest lol

13. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Console piracy is huge as well, each pirated copy does not equal a lost sale, we need to stop letting them get away with the same excuse the record executives use.

14. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

That would make sense but it has already been proven by hackers that the support for dedicated servers is there and left over from CoD4. It wouldn't cost them a lot of time to get it working officially.

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Not iTunes friendly then.
    You forgot to bleep out the "f**king hell" when some one farted.

Tags: Add Tags