1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding LED brightness??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bHawk, 11 Dec 2002.

1. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

I need to know whats a good LED brightness for my front bezel. I want to put some blue LEDs in the front for various indications, but since i sometimes like to leave my computer on over night (and its in my room) Id like the LEDs not to blind me. I saw some 300 mcd Blue LEDs at radio shack the other day, but i was wondering if thats too dim? I still want to be able to see them in the day light.

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

300Mcd is pretty dim.

I have used those LED's from RadioShack, they will be good for replacement indicator lights. You can see them just as any other LED.

But they won't be bright enough for case lighting, or spot lighting.

If they are too bright at night, then MOD THEM! Add a potentiometer in line to dim them.

Most likley they all use a common ground or +voltage that you can use one Pot to dim lots of LED's

3. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Ive already ordered 10 2000mcd blue LEDs for my case, undercase lighting, but i need the dimmer ones to go in the front bezel. Since those are gonna be on all the time, its pointless to mod in a dimmer or something. Itd be a waste of money.

Whats the brightness on most stock LEDs that come with cases? Blue should be a bit brighter than the green ones that usually comes with cases, but i just wanna get an idea.

4. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Most stock LED's are around 100mcd
    Dimming those LED for the Bezel will only require a resistor.
    Very cheap and easy.
    I said variable dimmer only if you wanted to change the brightness on-the-fly.

5. Transic

Transic What's a Dremel?