1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Best replacement iPod earphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kenco_uk, 7 Feb 2009.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hi all!

What do you reckon are the best replacements for the ipod earphones? I'm after replacing mine with a decent set of earphones/canalphones. Ideally from Argos or ' the Advanced MP3 Players' webshop.

I'm thinking the Sennheiser CX300's should be okay, but I'm wondering if there are any others in a similar price range? Or just as good, but cheaper?

I'm willing to spend about £30.

tia

2. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I'd say go with the sennheisers I got a pair about a year ago and love them, great sound and build quality. I got mine off amazon I think for £35, you should be able to get them fairly close to £30.

3. ymillie

ymillie What's a Dremel?

Hi there, I had the same problem as you - wanted to replace my ipod earphones. I ended up going for the Apple MA850G/A, 1.07m Wired, In-Ear Stereo Earset. They were not cheap £50 or near abouts, but I wanted to keep in with the white headphone styling with my new ipod nano. I know it sounds vain but I like to co-ordinate. They are much better than the ones that came with the ipod. Description is: Hear every detail of your music every time you tune in with the Apple In-Ear earset with remote and mic. They offer pro audio performance and impressive sound isolation and convenient buttons let you adjust the volume and control music and video playback. I have a pair of Sennheisers at home (for watching films late at night when the neighbours are asleep!) They are excellent. But I thought I would add my comment as I have the had the same replacing ipod earphones problem! Links below:
    To headphone I went for: http://www.okobe.co.uk/ws/product/Apple+MA850GA+1.07m+Wired+In+Ear+Stereo+Earset/1000011967
    Website I bought from: http://www.okobe.co.uk

4. kenco_uk

Is it best to go for ones that offer the widest frequency range?

The Sony MDREX75SL offers 6Hz - 24kHz.

The Sennheiser CX 300-II offers 18Hz - 21kHz.

The Sony pair are 10 quid cheaper than the Sennheisers, is all :)

5. ChArMz

ChArMz What's a Dremel?

skullcandy :D

6. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

Sennheiser PX100

7. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Don't look at frequency response too much, or any major figures for that matter, they are just numbers, and I can tell you that you will never find music that hits those ranges. I doubt that the Sony's will hit 6Hz...you can't hear that, and, even if you do go by numbers, those are lower than most high end headphones...kinda says something, eh? :p

Out of those two, from what I have just read, it's very close. Either way, you'll probably be happy, though it is difficult to find much information on the Sonys. The CX300 IIs are slightly revised, bringing the comparison even closer.

8. kenco_uk

I have a pair of HD435's for when I'm at home. I'm after something discrete for when I'm out walking the dog or bored listening to the inane whistlings of the old fart in the next office at work. I think it'll be the Sony's, when the stock reappears near me (nearest place to me that 1 (!) is in stock is about 30-odd miles away!)

9. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

don't look at frequncy numbers.

Of course ipod earbuds can do 20-20.. just look at the volume. -26db at 20hz. that's pretty much terrible.

in-ear, i'd go with the denon c351. supraural, the px100's the key.

10. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

I have Sennheiser CX300's and they are great, much better than my old nano's headphones. I am sure they only cost about £15 on Amazon.

Yup they are only £17 so bargain, you can get cx400's for £30, which I'm sure are even better.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2009
  11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just bought 2 sets of Apple headphone with mic to replace the broken "remote" mic button on my current headphone.

it's a problem that there are very little to choose from, when you want the full functionality of the iphone headphone plug.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Sony MDR-EX32LP is what I have now, they're comfy, and were on sale at Blockbuster Video of all places. I'm not too picky about sound quality, but they're not bad. I also have a pair of Thomson HED132 in-ear headphones that I love, but are broken now, and I have a pair of Sony MDR-V150 supra-aural headphones which are decent.

I would recommend the Thomson HED132 if you can find them. Apparently it's a **** brand, but they're the best headphones I've ever had.. I bought them at a big electronics store in France for cheap, never seen them in the States before.

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I also wanted to replace my iPod headphones a while ago, and chose these Sonys.
    Reliability is excellent, though the pair I had before (V-Moda Bass Freq) had better bass, but had much lower build quality and broke in 3 months, I got a refund. The Sonys have lasted me more than a year now and are simply excellent low-mid-price-range in-ear headphones.

Just £20 more though, is these Sonys. They appear to be a model or two up and look pretty sweet for the money.

14. iggy

iggy Minimodder

sounds like okobe is the place to go guys!
    whens he getting banned then?

on a better note, for about the same price as those higher end sonys, you could get a pair of ue superfi 3's whih are my current headphones, ive used shure and etymotics as well, and all three have sounded great.

these have replaceable cables though as well, so when your cable dies, its easy to replace. which was the biggest problem i had with sonys. the cable always dies inside of 6 months.

15. kenco_uk

Aye, I think the Sony MDREX76 are the ones I'll probably go for.

16. ymillie

ymillie What's a Dremel?

sounds like okobe is the place to go guys! - Thank you for your sarcasm. I was merely pointing out were I bought my memory module from!

17. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

18. jeremymein

jeremymein What's a Dremel?

J3 earbuds

i switched from my stock ipod earbuds and got the JLab J3 buds from amazon.com, and i couldnt be more happy with them. the sound quality is awesome, and they are durable aluminum so they dont break like my apple buds did. i highly recommend them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8nB6pTUAOo

19. nsn123

nsn123 Banned

Try the Sennheiser CX350 street. Not only do they provide great sound quality, your music is your own with the suprisingly good noise cancelling technology. [​IMG] Also as they're in ear they never fall out when your at the gym of cycling to work.

20. nsymons

nsymons What's a Dremel?

+1 for etymotic.

Not cheap but awesome sound.