1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Botnet worm hits iPhone users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I think this was only a matter of time. If you have a jailbroken iPhone, I suggest you undo it now.

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Of course! I would much rather significantly reduce the functionality of my handset than change a password.

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

haha good point. I don't have an iPhone so I wouldn't know what other benefits you get rid of by the jailbreak. They're all far too shiny, shiny for me.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

No surprise really. I mean as soon as a piece of hardware/software/kit gets popular, and can be used for personal information, someones going to hack it. I mean its basically a computer isn't it.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Change the password, disable SSH until you next need it... easy enough to do I would imagine if you can jailbreak the phone. Seems like it's a case of those unaware of the dangers getting hit again, which is the way it always is with viruses.

7. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

No, it's user stupidity. If you leave SSH with default password you should get punished by losing all your data and money from your online bank. And Apple users are well known for being not-the-smartest ones, so they're an obvious target.

8. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Are we gonna see a Verizon Droid commercial that states: idont send your bank info to crimminals, idont promote infections to others. ?

9. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

If people even followed the instructions properly they would be covered! I guess it's a case of things that need doing once you have "finished" the jailbreak which people ignore.

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

When you root an android phone (well, maybe not all of them, but it works like this for mine), it sets the SSH password to the phone's IMEI number. Pretty sensible, because it's easy to look up if you own the phone, but harder to guess than 'alpine'!

11. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Android is an open OS and the guys on these forums are always going on about how Android will one day rule the world ... but doesn't it mean that they'll end up with lots of diseases ... oh ... sorry, what are they called ... viruses?

12. ryall

ryall What's a Dremel?

spoken like a true C.E.O. ;p

13. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

I'd say this reaches out and touches in a bad way only those who do NOT change the root password. Aka, the ignorant and newbies.

Hehe so true.

[Edit]My iTouch is jailbroken and root pw, well, something else than default.[/Edit]

14. ConservativeOC

ConservativeOC What's a Dremel?

The title of this article should include the word "JAILBROKEN". I wouldn't have even bothered to click on this story if it was properly titled...but I guess the author realized this as well.

15. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Fine print: Jailbreakers, you just don't get the best of both worlds, also included is the worst of both and all it's baggage.

16. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

"Want your Iphone to actually be used while you browse useless apps?"

BOTNET!

"There's an app for that"

17. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I havent seen one heading for this article on the internet that says jailbroken iphones in the headline"

I'd say around 65% of the people with a jailbroken iphone would know what SSH was, the rest well.

i know alot of people with jailbroken iphones and they dont know anything about how it works, they got someone to jailbreak it for them.

18. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

QFT. Is it really hard to change a password? jeeze, people whoare like "remove the jailbreak" need a good schooling.

19. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I have SSH on my fileserver and even though I didn't really know what it was before I set it up following the guide on here, did I make sure to have a secure password? Of course I did.

I guess the difference with the iPhone is that you don't need to explicitly turn SSH on, as soon as its jailbroken its there with the default password. I don't know.

It's still pretty dumb not to change from default passwords.

20. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

lol

Tags: Add Tags