1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Is PC gaming dying?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Sep 2009.

1. dreamhunk

dreamhunk What's a Dremel?

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

3. dreamhunk

it also why console game devs go bankuprt do you want me to prove more I have a ton links I could post on the subject

yea them high production costs on consoles are sure saving them consoles game devs

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2009
  4. CardJoe

Most game developers who have a budget over a certain size will go bankrupt if their game fails. It's a very risky business, the games industry and the finances have to be balanced carefully.

Jesus; most developers total go bankrupt or are forced to radically downscale/close within a few years. Raising the money just to rent office space and pay for the salaries of all your programmers and designers, plus licensing fees? That's a colossal amount of money when you bear in mind most AAA games take 2- 4 years to make. If the game isn't massive you'll just not recoup those costs and fold straight away.

Implying that rapid bankruptcy in game development is something which applies only (or even mainly) to console developers seems a bit of a blind alley.

5. dreamhunk

6. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Eh?

7. CardJoe

Why is it dumb to spend $200 million on marketing for a game when the links posted above prove that it's more important to have a strong visible marketing campaign than it is to have high scores or high quality? Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead 2, World of Warcraft, Borderlands, Dragon Age, Batman - all great games of decent quality and every single one of them will have spent multiple millions on marketing.

Of course we're going to see console developers go out of business. It's a recession and costs are rising as part of the polygon wars, which is making life harder for devs on all platforms. Luxury industries are always heavily affected by changes in the global economy. We'll probably hear about more console devs going bust rather than PC devs too, but that doesn't prove anything other than that console or multiplatform devs are likely larger and more relevant to the vast majority of people.

And, yes, when I say vast majority of people I mean it. PC gamers may have the largest install base, but not the largest number of users or customers. Example; my parents own three PCs and no consoles. My brother has a gaming laptop I picked out for him so he could game on his PC, but still plays on his Xbox 360 most the time. Consoles are simply more relevant to more people than niche PC-only developers, so will get reported on more.

It's also important to define your terms here. There are very few PC-only developers of note, but I'd be willing to say most people would class companies like Valve or Bioware as PC developers for the most part despite the fact that those companies often consider the Xbox 360 to be their lead platform because of how easy a Xbox 360-PC port is.

I'm struggling to see your over all point here too. Some smaller console developers are going out of business. So what? Some on PC are too. At the end of the day that says very little about the overall state of the market, other than that the market is becoming increasingly competitive thanks to larger developers and publishers.

Two recently released games that would be considered notable by their respective audiences and come from large, established companies; Shattered Horizon on PC and Assassin's Creed on Xbox 360. Which do you think spent more on marketing, which do you think will be more profitable and which do you think most people outside of the bit-tech.net and hardcore gamer audience actually know about?

8. dreamhunk

9. CardJoe

...You're not answering the whole issue though. That's one actually very small developer, which is a multi-platform developer. I could counter it by pointing to Halo ODST and how it made squillions on the Xbox, but that equally wouldn't prove anything either. Single developers are not the whole picture.

Why are you adamantly refusing to address any of my points in your own words or with consistent masses of data? A handful of internet articles from a large period of time do not equal good research.

I could point to this website, for example, but that doesn't prove that timecubes really exist.
    http://www.timecube.com/

10. dreamhunk

can can list publishers such as interplay and mid way plus huge game devs who are going bankuprt

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playlogic-reports-loss-of-33-million

http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/04/splatterhouse-dev-bottlerocket-shuts-its-doors/

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3174841

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/video-game-makers-seeing-red/

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/483/the-developer-graveyard

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20090506005551&newsLang=en

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36665/Square-Enix-Consoles-set-for-extinction

oichi Wada says trade must prepare for switch to digital distribution and server-based games

Square Enix chief Yoichi Wada is preparing his firm for the demise of physical media – and potentially the death of home consoles.

In an exclusive interview with MCV that will be published next week, the CEO of the publisher – which now owns Eidos and is famous for its epic disc-based Final Fantasy games – said that a dramatic change will come in the next decade offering more opportunity for market growth, but fundamentally transforming the traditional industry.

“In ten years’ time a lot of what we call ‘console games’ won’t exist,” he said.

Wada warned that “all the distributors and sales firms will suffer a big negative impact” from a new era in which interactive entertainment switches from software run on hardware in the home to server-based offerings, game streaming and digital distribution.

He claimed that format-holders including Sony and Microsoft are already prepared for the shift – and that third-parties must follow suit.

11. CardJoe

You're really not grasping a word I say, are you? Nor the point of the article.

12. dreamhunk

@CardJoe

you dumb to think consoles gaming is going be around for long time.

I wonder how much sony and microsft had to lose just to promote consoles

what a joke

maybe they give me a few billion if they want to lose money

13. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Maybe they give you lesson in speling grammar n constructive arguments too, u mong :p

14. CardJoe

Ok, now I'm going to step in an official capacity and give you a proper warning. Stop trolling and multi-posting so stupidly. If you have a legitimate point to make or want to have a serious discussion then at least have the dignity to engage in an open back and forth instead of getting entrenched with a selection of links and feeble name calling.

You're being obtuse and refusing to actually listen to or tolerate what others are saying, so; official public warning. You only get one of these.

15. dreamhunk

@CardJoe
    you can say any thing you want

you ban me i don't really care

you have proven your creadability and it's here for people to see around the world.

you don't like the turth it's none of my business.

you can threten me all you want, I don't care who are you any way god!

it's only a matter of time before those console become exstint

my words are solid

@CardJoe

oh by the way you can go cry me a river!

"OH pc gaming is dying " we all know how the gaming industry and media works they full of lies!

what a joke!

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Goodbye dreamhunk. You've been asked nicely and given plenty of chance to stop your tirade of flames, I think enough is enough.

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I don't think PC gaming is "dying". It is however changing and evolving. The days of the huge releases that dominated the PC gaming calendar are probably over - I'm thinking of the years between 1997-2001, where each year titles like System Shock 2, Half-Life, UT99, Q3, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, Starcraft, Diablo 2, the list goes on and on. One area where PC gaming has led and will continue to lead is online, where consoles have finally got online experiences similar to what PC gamers have been enjoying for years. Ultimately, consoles are becoming more like PCs, with their hard drives, network connectivity, and complex functionality.

CardJoe likes this.
  18. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Now that's funny - exstint, turth, threten?

Byebye!

19. hrtz_Junkie

hrtz_Junkie Controversial by Nature

Wow another fantastic articall on a subject thats close to our hart's.

The 2 biggest biggest problem's in pc gaming currently (at least as I see it) Is that A. there is a section off our pc communitea that belleive's that large company's (not just games manufacturers but ALL large global brands) are destroying the plannet, enslaving the population and generall working towards towards the "New wourld order".

If you want to know more about this phenominon download and watch the movie "zeitguist"

Now if you beleive that large company's are inherently "evil" It's really not that hard to convince yourself that pirateing games is not "morally wrong" and that buy pirating you are actually helping to make the wourld a better place!!!

And secondly these large company's buy cracking down on pirats and ruining there products with drm are just re-enforcing the pirates veiw that that they are right.

It's a huge catch 22 that if it's not sorted will eventually kill pc gaming. The only reason it hasn't allready is that the pc isn't just a gaming mashine.

So next time you're going for that download button,,,, think twice. just because you can dousn't mean you should. Not if you love you're pc and want it to servive the comming storm!!!!!!

20. Bede

Bede Minimodder

A storm would be easy to deal with. Instead what we're getting is rising water tables. Soon the valleys will be lost to us and we'll be sitting on hilltops. Then the hilltops will be gone and the survivors will be huddled together on mountaintops. Good metaphor, no? :p

Tags: Add Tags