1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Obama wants games in schools

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Obama is definitely a hardcore gamer..... I thought that guy I played CoD4 against last night was joking when he said "really, believe me. I'm Barack and so-and-so is my plan you'll hear about it....." I said sure mate........ and you're pwned

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Yay... Leisure Suit Larry for College!! Yes we can!

4. StevieC

StevieC Rising Fusion

I wouldn't call Obama a hard core camer per sé, but I would say that he has a grasp on current-generation technology (current as of the time he is in office) that is probably the most solid such grasp held by any president since Kennedy. He understands the importance of math and science and appreciates that importance enough to take tech seriously as a powerful tool for change and to know that he needs to base his decisions and actions on solid, scientifically sound principles, instead of on ideological talking points. The First Family has a Nintendo Wii, and that's a system that allows a family to play video-games together as a family activity, effectively disproving the stereotype of videogames causing anti-social behaviour. He's also seen how supercomputers can be made for tiny fractions of the cost of a custom-built mainframe by simply connecting a large number of consumer-grade systems together and having them operate together in a cluster or grid. He's a Macintosh user and the first such supercomputer was made at Virginia Tech using Apple's PowerMac G5 in 2003 (back before Steve Jobs committed architectural treason by signing a pact with Otellini's Evil Empire)

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've not played LittleBigPlanet but it'll probably more useful than The Crystal Rainforest which I had to play during my IT lessons at school.

6. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Obama is current and hip in so many ways, as an EVE online player I think he might have jumpclones.

Something does have to be done about the absurd ranking the USA has vis-a-vis math and science. After 8 years of an administration that was antagonistic towards science, it is great to see a President who cares about America's place in the world.
    Bush basically gave away stem cell science to Europe and Asia by not allowing it in the USA, i wonder how many thousands of jobs that represented and how much human suffering as well.

Obama represents a breath of fresh air not only for the US, but for progress for the entire world.

Yes, We Can,
    Star¤Dagger

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

If he doesn't do Little Big Planet, he should at least do Garry's Mod with Wiremod added in.

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

As much as I love games and think they can help teach us a lot I do not see how this will help very much. The big problem that the US has is with the education system itself. Unless that is changed throwing games in is not really going to do anything. The US needs a massive overhaul of public schools. Personally I even think that the entire math system needs to be replaced with one that is aimed for stat instead of cal. But most importantly I think that charter school programs and local competition must be implemented for the education system to ever benefit.

This is the sort of "real" change I would like to see not just oh lets have them play some games or give them free pens.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

see my girlfriend is a teacher.. thing is when bush was in office he liked to hold up the no child left behind act..

what happened with no child left behind was.. every poor district got left behind! all the well to do districts got all the money.. see in poor districts the parents don't care about their kids.. you don't see many show for open house and a lot of the kids are just neglected

so bush decides.. oh if you take these standardized tests and your school does well, you recieve money.. the teachers do all they can, like my gf actually goes beyond what I think is reasonable to make sure her students get a fair shot.. but if the better districts have parents who aren't on drugs, of course they will score higher.. that's what republicans don't get- they see everything from one point of view when the reality of it, which is really ironic, is that it was putting all the money into schools that already had it

all you have to do is ask teachers directly.. go around the boards- I'm not sure putting games into the classroom will do anything

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

This!

11. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Thats fascinating really. When I was in grade school the 4th grade teacher had his entire room filled with consoles. He was the 'coolest' teacher in the school. Granted none of the games were really educational at all, but I think he used it as an incentive to get kids to cooperate.

I really see the learning system changing for many institutions, not only just public systems but college/uni/military. Make learning fun and people will be inclined to it.

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This /\

Short of a complete re-start of the education system, which isn't going to happen, all we can do is make little improvements where we can. That said, I think expanded use of computers and gaming in the classroom is a good improvement, and a step in the right direction.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Obama's next great push is going to be Education Reform.

Yes, We Can!

14. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

So long as they are good games not knock off edutainment titles.

Having said that I remember playing Virus and Wolfenstien in IT lessons in secondary school (we had to do well in class to get a go, now there's an incentive), with the teachers knowledge and consent.

15. Orothe

Orothe What's a Dremel?

Just for the fact of recognizing the benefits of some games, he's earned points in my book. =)

That's like a slap to all those "Video Games are bad" types. =P

Tags: Add Tags