1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Nemesis, Dec 9th Update: Leak testing and cable tidying.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Evolution31, 26 Nov 2009.

1. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Hi all,
    Welcome to my first modding project. A bit of background about myself. I have been doing basic builds for a few years.
    My last build was an overclocked Q6600, Asus P5K Premium and a 4870 512mb,this was contained within a silver TJ07,the basis of this mod.
    Here's a piccy, Messy huh...
    [​IMG]
    I have very limited metalworking knowledge but was determined to do the whole project myself. I have managed to scavenge some tools from various sources including a pretend Dremel and a tap and die set...that's about it though.
    My first Idea for this build was to use a perspex to cover the drive bays and fit a false floor, work started, Then I made the mistake of looking for some inspiration on these very forums. Appearing on my screen was Project Dark Water, I was impressed and gutted at the same time as it was an exact match to what I had envisaged for my build. Oh well back to the drawing board.
    So I came up with the idea of a full length mobo tray with a boxed in drive bay. The colour scheme is very original.....Red and Black. I know probably the most overused colours at the mo but I like them :D
    The components for this build will be:
    Core i7 920
    Asus Rampage II
    HD5870 Graphics
    6GB Dominator GT
    OCZ Vertex 120GB
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair HX850W
    Custom two loop water cooling.

Whilst funds were not limiless I decided to do a two stage build, get the main parts first and run them in the TJ07 untill I could afford the rest of the build. That stage has come, so I have started the project this week.
    So far I have attached the blocks to the mobo
    [​IMG]
    Cut the mobo tray and drilled the relevant holes
    [​IMG]
    Cut the drive bay boxing and drilled the holes for the hose that will attach to drive bay resevoir.
    [​IMG]
    I have done a quick check to see if they fit and to give you guys a proper idea as to what I am looking to achieve.
    [​IMG]

Let me know your thoughts and ideas as i am open to good suggestions going forward. Also let me know If you waould like more pictures/descriptions in future posts as I'm all a bit new to this :hehe:
    Evo.

P.S apologies for some of the poor photography the wife took them and I didn't check until today :duh:

Last edited: 9 Dec 2009
  2. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Quick update:
    Made a mount for my slot loading DVD.
    For this I grabbed a very old CD player I had lying around and hacked it up. I used the top section and cut it down to sit the DVD on. I then attached it with double sided industrial tape.
    Old and new
    [​IMG]
    In bits
    [​IMG]
    End result
    [​IMG]

EVO

3. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Had a go at doing some sleeving on my psu.
    I think it looks good, may redo the shrink, will see how much I have when I've finished the other cabling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ah well enough sitting down need to make some fixings for the mobo tray, my false floor and some cabling holes.

EVO

4. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Looks like a good start mate, good luck with the build :D

5. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Another day gone, another update.

Did a bit more work last night and this morning.

My pretend Dremel decided to die on me so the cuts in the motherboard tray were made with a drill and some cheapo hand files I found in the garage.
    [​IMG]
    Got the fixings made
    [​IMG]
    I have also riveted the motherboard tray to the back panel with a rivet gun that was leant to me by my father, what a kind chap. Now to get it back to him without him noticing...
    [​IMG]
    Time to head to the powder coater and see what he can do for me. Also shall have a look at a real Dremel and think up excuses as to why I need to spend more money on "My B***dy Computer" as the wife puts it.:idea:

EVO

Last edited: 27 Nov 2009
  6. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

Dad's are nice like that -_^

Have fun at the powder coaters.

7. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Update 28th November

Hi again.

Had a good trip to the powder coaters. He gave me a turnaround of 1 week and quoted me £45. As this is my first mod I'm not sure if it is a rediculously good price or just a fair one? (Was expecting around £100).

So while the case is getting a new coat I decided to hit the sleeving. I have put a few pics on. Mostly pleased so far but as you can see from pic one the 24 pin went horribly wrong near the psu. I tried to rescue it with some tape but think it looks awful so will be stripping and re-doing tonight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I get the sleeving on the psu done early enough will try and mount the graphics waterblock.

EVO

8. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

24 sleeves MK2

After the mess that was my last attempt, here is my next attempt at my 24 pin sleeving. Underneath the two larger shrinks I shrink wrapped each wire individually to try and keep the sleeve tight. Although it would have looked better had I opened the psu, that warranty was too appealing :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys/gals think ?

Evo

9. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Block on

Just finished putting the water block on my 5870, some of the screws were royal pains in the posterior:wallbash:

Goodbye air
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hello water
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to picking the case up tomorrow (hopefully) so I can get on with installing the hardware and false floor. I need to do some more work on that so I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow night.

Evo

10. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

Cool cable sleeving.
    Subbed

11. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Just a quick thanks to coolamasta, validus and dave for the comments. Just waiting for the case to be delivered tonight, then I can get started putting this thing together :D

12. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Got the case back from the powder coaters :D.
    Here's a few poor quality pics of it getting ready to be populated, really must 1. Get a better camera 2. Learn how to take pictures....

Ready to be opened
    [​IMG]

Quickly put together for a check to see what adjustments are needed, also modded the top grill by bending it and used of black cable ties to hold the rad on.
    [​IMG]

Side panel on with my new tinted window attached (will clean the fingerprints off later :hehe:)
    [​IMG]

Will update later when I have had time to get at it more.

EVO

13. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Started test fitting the internals, had a couple of minor problems but nothing a slimline rad can't fix. Now to find one....
    Here's a few pictures of how it's progressing.

Drive bays populated
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

checking mobo fit and wiring, as you can see theres not enough room for the rad and both fans.

[​IMG]

That's it for the moment, will try and get some more done this weekend.

EVO

14. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Hi,
    Got some fans through the post. Three Xilence for the bottom rad and two Scythe slipstreams, one regular one slim. The slim Scythe is to use on the rear of the top mounted rad for clearance issues. Will see how temps are and see if an alternative method is needed.

[​IMG]

Put the fans on the rad and am pleased with the result.

[​IMG]

Put the rad in as the first stage to the rebuild.

[​IMG]

Mobo back in to double check the clearance.

[​IMG]

Put my card back in and was ready to try out some loop routes.

[​IMG]

Here's what I have so far, please feel free to advise of better routes, this is the one i have liked the most so far.

[​IMG]

A quick rear end shot :D

[​IMG]

That's it for today peeps. Hopefully will have time in the next couple of days to do a bit more. Next up will be boxing the fan controller in the front and finishing the cabling.

15. Evolution31

Evolution31 Need Coffee

Update:

Started leak testing today. Well, after my D5 decided it didn't want to work :waah:. Cue me frantically checking the wiring and molex connections, then perusing Ebay and numerous sites for a replacement.
    Stupid thing obviously just needed 30 mins to warm up :confused:.

Here's a picture after 5 hours. Looking good so far time to replace the kitchen roll and leave it overnight.

[​IMG]

A couple of cable tidying pics, bit of work still to do but not much more thank goodness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got the fan controller to box, lighting, more cabling and a front to do, so still alot to be getting on with. Will update as soon as I get another urge, either that or the wife wants the kitchen table back :D .

16. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

Nice work on the sleeving. It's always difficult to decide what to do with the wires as they come directly out of the PSU.

Looking great!