1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming DirectX 11 performance first look: Dirt 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Dec 2009.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Shattered Horizon is DX10 only and built from the ground up for DX10.

So only ATI cards can have prettier water, wavy flags, and crowds? That's it? That's all they did with DX11? lol..

Hopefully more games will support DX11 soon, and incorporate more things than prettier water effects, flags, and crowds.

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep.
    nVidia is failing to deliver a DX11 card.

3. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I wonder how many people panning DX10/11 are XP luddites.

4. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

:clap:

Ladies and Gentlemen. Due to the enormous rush *cough* on my last lottery (Batman AA), today I'd like to offer an easier way to receive a free copy of Dirt2. Well at least the steam-activation-code for Dirt2. So the rules of the game:

The fifth one to PM me the make and model of Colin McRae's car he drove 2003 will receive the code.
    No multiple entries.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

To be fair this DX11 failure has very little to do with ATI. Its a microsoft product that developers implament. If anything its encoders only being half assed in the attempt to implament DX11 rather than rebuild the game from the ground up using it. Unfortuanatly this takes time + money.

based on what? Nvidias drivers of late haven't been up to their usual standard. There no guarntee that theyll do any better than ATI. After all, ati have worked closely with microsoft reguarding DX11.

Again abit harsh to blame ATI for that one too. I do understand tho that they design the hardware and like previous DX releases 1st gen cards have been under powered.

Far cry 2 was an example of a DX10 game being more efficient than DX9 and crysis did look slightly better in DX10 although less efficient.

I still think that encoders need to get to grips with DX11 before we see great gains from it. The DX11 demo shows it can look very well and run fairly efficently.

I also think Your bashing of ATI was unnecessary. Theres no guarentee Nvidia will be any fast until they release their card and with the problems theyve been having, again theres no guarentee their drivers will be better than ATI who after all, worked with microsoft in deciding the features of DX11

6. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I tried the demo briefly then ran the built in benchmark in the full game. Seems to run a lot better than the demo tbh. With the built in benchmark i got:

Average fps : 74.6
    Minimum fps : 49.2

Ultra settings, with 4 x AA
    Resolution 1680 x 1050

A better CPU than mine would hopefully get higher averages/minimums again.

The improvements from the likes of GRID are subtle, but some of the lighting and water effects are impressive.

7. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

This is a game built on DX9 with DX11 bolted on. From what I've seen from Unigene Heaven and Stalker 3 the drop off form DX9 to DX10/11 is typical. However, I've had odd performance on my system, occasionally it temporarily drops to ~.20fps in game regardless of the graphics settings applied so yeah, it's probably still buggy.

8. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

game over. winner will start playing soon :)

9. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Look at those first two images with the cars arriving at that big arch; the atmosphere (general lighting), the details in the images of watching people, how you can see hay bale details at the side of the road in DX11. Look also at the other images.
    There is a lot of difference, (but it is still the same game).

Tags: Add Tags