1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Intel Larrabee CANCELLED

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fod, 5 Dec 2009.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They'll be happy as Larry, I'll tell ya. After the Fermi delay I bet they were shitting bricks.

Guest-16 likes this.
  3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Happy as Larry be?

I'll get my coat...

Guest-16 likes this.
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope.

As far as Nvidia are concerned: AMD can't ship **** right now, and once Fermi hits everyone will forget about them being late. It's great for AMD to get some product to market and positive press - I love it, they need it - however everyone at Nvidia I've talked to is so laid back about this quarter they could be on holiday. Fermi is NOT predominantly a graphics part, it's a HPC part that also does graphics (how good is yet to be seen). Nvidia wants to make more money in the HPC arena because PC gaming has pretty much reached its max.

Honestly, consumer Larrabee failure is no surprise to me. Intel still owns the majority of the graphics market thanks to its massive OEM and marketing power. It will only acquire more now that its future CPUs have graphics chips on them. Only Apple has the brand and buying power to say No, and it did (apparently).

Larrabee was always, always a workstation part for HPC. It was a way to increase compute power density within a rack - something that AMD and Nvidia are happily nibbling away at. Intel dominates the HPC arena and it's worth way, way more than the consumer graphics market.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Nope, they look like they've got their stock issues sorted. Everything except the 5970s are in stock at least somewhere.

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I cant find a 5870 in stock anywhere!

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry but what planet are you on? I just checked Scan, OcUK and Novatech. Not one had a 5850 or 5870 in stock.

8. dec

dec [blank space]

last time i looked (yesterday) newegg has a couple left.
    but yea it seems like nvidia couldnt less about cypress.
    we'll see what happens when fermi comes out.

lol ill **** bricks if fermi is cancelled.

9. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Newegg did just get them in stock sometime in the last few days, but I wouldn't expect it to stay that way even with the price jump since release time.

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Newegg. Wasn't talking about UK, sorry.

11. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I wish we had a newegg in the uk, i only hear good things about them and the quantity of stock they have amazes me.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2009
  12. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I thought it was just discrete Larrabee that's cancelled and that they are still doing an IGP part?

13. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Oh dear, they should have just brought Nvidia in the first place! I bet Intel is regretting being so mean to them, now about those licenses for QPI processors!!

Hopefully, if history repeats itself, we are due for a stonkingly good piece of Intel hardware, if the P4 (fail) to Core 2 (cheesecake) trajectory holds true.

This must be a massive chance for ATI to make up ground, with a strong AMD / ATI GPCPU part. Given that even web browsers are beginning to see the benefit of offloading work onto the GPU, and many more applications will be web hosted in the future, could this a great time to buy AMD shares?

The other big question, with no Larry, the next-gen console market is wide open again:worried:

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

P4 fail made Intel switch back to P3 architecture, not this time as Intel is already using the very simple (relatively) Pentium Pro architecture.

licence for QPI processors won't help much as nVidia would just make the same chipset as Intel, just a lot buggier. once the flood gate of x58 is open, nVidia cannot close it by simply stop supporting SLi on it. imagine the publicity on that.

i think it's a good news. Intel had never been good at graphics, especially their drivers. the only way their HUGE (relatively to nVidia/ATI's current solutions) x86 architecture to succeed is to have every game running ray-tracing.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Larrabee is HPC not IGP right now. If successful, the tech would be spliced into CPU cores to do FPU calculations like AMD is doing with the one after Bulldozer. Or, so the powerpoints loosely tell us.

There's no chance in hell Nvidia would have sold out to Intel. Intel recons Intel can do everything in house - it has enough money and people to. It wants its own ecosystem and not giving out QPI licenses is exactly how it operates.

AMD needs to use it massive cash injection to get a shifty with its next gen part and not make it flop, however the first CPU-GPU product next year will be based on the current Phenom II core ffs. It's already respectively slow, so we're going to have to wait three more years for a new core?

It's going to be an interesting time, that's for sure.

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

How badly does pulling the plug on this hurt intel? They must of lost a fair bit of funds but ,did they gain anything from this project? I was also under the impression Intels new integrated GPU/CPU was similar to larrabee, if not whats the difference?

17. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

EDIT: Lolz im an idiot!

Last edited: 7 Dec 2009
  18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

er.. larrabee was intel's dedicated GPU chip. they're still working on CPUs with integrated GPUs.

19. chumbucket843

chumbucket843 What's a Dremel?

the chip isnt that great for hpc. larrabee has no ECC and no full speed double precision which makes it inferior next to fermi. intel would rather sell expensive xeon's over larrabee anyday. larrabee will hurt their cpu sales. the only advantage larrabee has in hpc is x86. gpu's change so fast that it is a turnoff for hpc guys.

20. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

Nvidia has some of the most overpriced cards I've ever seen. At least 4 years ago the prices were about the same. ATI/AMD has a great value for the money and their "uber" cards all perform alongside Nvidia's admirably.

And let's not forget corporate culture at Nvidia, not to mention their CEO is insane.