1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Maximus III Formula Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

At least it looks delicious.

Too bad it can't perform up to it's price tag :(

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

P7P55 it is then!

4. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Given the absolutely atrocious performance of two of the three sets of SAT ports, I'm surprised it scored so highly.

Yes there may be six fast ports, but then why not just leave it at that? Unwittingly plug something into the wrong port and you're stuffed. It seems an unforgivable cutting of corners on a motherboard that costs the thick-end of £200...

5. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I wonder how poor is RAID performance of JM322.

I've expected something a little bit better for such price, especially from Asus.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because it's just one part of a much bigger picture, plus, the core SATA performance is excellent and you still get six drives to play with. Just use them for optical drives and you won't know any difference.

You can't easily unwittingly plug it into the wrong port if they look different and are placed completely apart. If you're stupid enough to do that, you're the type of person who won't notice the performance difference.:p

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I still think the Gigabyte X58-UD5 is a better board for that kind of cash, especially with Gulftown also coming in a 1366 flavour (I think?).

8. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Thanks for that - and there was me stupid old me thinking the Red JMicron ports were at the bottom of the board, clustered close to six fast ones....

It's easy for us to know not to use them now as we've read your review and analysis, though I'm guessing that everyone who buys this board wont have read your review, (shocking and unbelievable as that may seem). :p

I know it's only a small part of the overall picture, but I still think it's a very important part, as it could potentially have such a massive impact - and I personally wouldn't consider someone stupid if they bought this nearly £200 motherboard and had the temerity to plug a SATA drive into a SATA port on it, mistakenly thinking that they were all good. In a modded case they may well be the most convenient set to use.

In fact, if I were to consider anyone stupid, it would probably be Asus for putting them there in the first place....

9. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Forgive the mangled English, I'll try again:

"...though I'm guessing that not everyone who buys this board will have read your review..."

I'm slow, but I get there in the end. :D

10. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

TBH I think it's fairly common knowledge that you should never, ever use a JMicron controller for your hard disk. They are almost always much slower than the core SATA ports. As lot of people disable them whilst overclocking too. If you didn't know this before that's fair enough but you do now ;)

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Apologies, John, I used the wrong phrase.

The RoG boards are really for people who know what they are doing, otherwise we don't recommend they buy a £180 P55 motherboard. It would be a waste because an £80 motherboard does most of the same. Like Clive said above - there's the option to disable everything on the board, including these, and many people overclocking generally do that anyway.

I would advise users research their purchase always, and would like to think most enthusiasts would go for the P55 SATA ports first of all - if not exclusively - as these always offer the best performance.

So, not stupid, just misguided. ;)

12. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

:jawdrop: Bindi Stupid! :D

13. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Stupid, isn't a term I'd use really, if you consider the technology available on the board. Good review Bindi!

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry I was talking to Clive earlier about it. :duh::duh:

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

fantastic board, and seeing the ROG connect working in live demonstration is really amazing.

very nice to see fan control in the BIOS..... when can we expect it in the normal boards, it's not like it's a super advanced innovation, such as ROG connect.

16. denis6902

denis6902 deathbox

:( i think i am going to cry. I was just about to buy watercooling set for the entire board, plus two single pcb gtx 295 for it, but now i dont know what to do anymore. Dunno if i should go for x58 or if i should invest on the EVGA P55 Classified 200.

So confused now. what do i do? maybe i buy the Western Digital WD-TV v2 which got a golden medal instead, lol!

17. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Hi guys,

OK, sorry Bindi, I may have been a little tetchy there earlier. :)

I did my first, very simple, overclock back in 2003 - on an Asus board funnily enough, (got 20%, which made a big difference back then) but I've only really ever been on the very periphery of that side of things, hence my ignorance.

I still think it seems daft adding a pair of crappy SATA ports when apparently all those in the know, the target audience, will either avoid them like the plague or disable them completely - though maybe I'm just being fussy... (Which I guess is a distinct possibility).

Guest-16 likes this.
  18. denis6902

denis6902 deathbox

are we going to see a review for the EVGA P55 Classified 200, Bindi?

19. Tony_Stark

Tony_Stark What's a Dremel?

Bad work from Asus, only one bios on this mainboard :(

20. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

but just look at it, effing gorgeous, i can just see it now in a coolermaster haf 932 and my pair of red and black 5770's

Tags: Add Tags