1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Dec 2009.

1. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

no LCD screen....

2. ashmud

ashmud What's a Dremel?

I, too, am disappointed in the lack of n-key rollover discussion in the article. I'd much rather put my money towards a Topre Realforce (yes, I know it's limited by USB) or Filco Majestouch (n-key rollover model).

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Can anyone tell me why the Logitech G110 is not available in the UK? It's the only gaming keyboard that's not A. Ugly, B. stupidly expensive and C. plastered with gimmicks I don't want.

4. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I was about to say something similar

Due to my habit of accidentally killing keyboards with spilled beverages, i generally just buy a ~£7 MS keyboard and replace when necessary :blush:

Though at the moment i have a quite nice Dell keyboard swiped from work :D

5. Makaveli

Makaveli What's a Dremel?

I have a revision 1 G15 and love it.

LCD screen is useful for Coretemp, while in game I can monitor the cpu load and the temp. Very helpful when i'm in game testing for stability on my overclock.

Also I find using vent also on the LCD very helpful.
    If i'm in game and listening to music with the winamp plugin I can switch tracks without alt tabbing and leaving the game. Which is helpful cause there are some games that give issues when you alt tab back and forth into it.

Next there is an MSN add on as well so I don't have to leave game to check messages.

Then for some games the screen output is usefull. In the heat of battle on says BF2142 I can always see my ping times to server and other useful info on screen. Without having to stop and bring up a menu in game.

I'm with the rest of the guys that say once you get use to it, its harder to go back to a keyboard without an LCD.

Would I pay for the New G19 hell no. Would I rebuy my Gen 1 G15 hell yes.

And this is coming from someone on a dual monitor setup!

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Yes... because it's not been released yet. Due for release in January for a retail of £79.99.

Check out HEXUS for more info...
    http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20723

7. J888www

J888www What's a Dremel?

With due respect, there was no mentions of what type of Key switches or rubber membranes or the testing of NKRO etc etc etc.
    To the people who live and dream of keyboards, ALL rubber membrane KBDs are not very good (rubbish), so the only keyboard with any consideration on YOUR list is the Steelseries 7G which uses Cherry MX Black switches (Linear key switches). Although it is good for Gaming, it is not too good for typing.
    There are also other KBDs to consider, Filco FKBN87ML/EB, Filco FKBN104ML/EB, Deck Legend – 105 Keys Ice (linear), DSI SMK-88, Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 (Topre Capacitive Switch), Realforce 103UB (Topre Capacitive Switch) and more........
    Since everyone will have a different opinion as to which is the best KBD, maybe it's best to go visit the site where they eat , live and dream KBDs to define which is most siutable for YOU. http://geekhack.org/index.php
    NB: Pay for a CHEAP KBD and that is exactly what you will receive, a CHEAP KDB.

8. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

for me gaming keyboards are a gimmick, i don't need to press billion keys at once, or to have 12 additional keys, a backlight, and ugly looks.
    but that's just me

9. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Anyone else miss those old spring loaded key keyboards. Those things have so much resistance.

10. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

no Deck legend/deck82?

11. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

J888www seems to have beat me to the punch.

There are better keyboards out there for gaming. And though most of your keyboards are not cheap in terms of what they cost, they are cheap in terms of build. A mechanical switch will almost always be superior in terms of tactility and feedback.

www.geekhack.org

We really do eat sleep and breathe keyboards. Just a word of warning though, that site will damage the contents of your wallet. And it doesn't actually sell anything.

12. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

I absolutely love my Saitek Eclipse gamer (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/AAOMorpheus/?action=view&current=SaitekEclipsegamer.jpg). I've had it for roughly 5 years and to be honest, it feels just as good as day one. My wife liked the feel of is so much she wanted one to replace hers. I would love to replace it with the Eclipse II but to be honest it's a keyboard that just keeps giving and unless it breaks will still be part of my gaming arsenal along with my G5 mouse for many more years to come. Only issue I have is I have never used the additional keypad but thats no real issue now is it.

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've got a Saitek Eclipse, brilliant keyboard. My old one was getting pretty worn and when I saw Maplin selling them off cheap a couple of years ago I got another, should have bought a few tbh.

14. Pookeyhead

Excellent. It looks perfect. I shall not get the Eclipse then... I shall wait. Thanks for the heads up.... but £79.. ouch!

....although the Eclipse III does look awesome... it's a big fat ****er though!

decisions decisions...

Last edited: 12 Dec 2009
  15. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Is it just me that thinks they are all ugly as sin?

16. Pookeyhead

Some are yes. Although I like the look of the Logitech G110.

The Saitek Eclipse III is a good kind of ugly... I like it. I know what you mean however.

17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I don't like the new Eclipse keyboards, I agree ugly. The original is quite minimalistic and great looking keyboard.

The Logitechs aren't great looking either, I hate keyboards with too many bells and whistles.

18. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I really like the look of the G110 myself and I see me updating both Keyboard and Mouse to the G110 and the G500 respectively in the New Year.

As for £79... That is what HEXUS stated but if you do a specific search for the G110 on www.logitech.co.uk they actually quote the RRP as £69.99 so I would expect to see it at the usual suspect etailers for around the £50.

19. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

20. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

+1: My dad & I both got a Tarantula. No complaints. :rock:

Tags: Add Tags