1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Ross.Davis, 12 Dec 2009.

1. Ross.Davis

Ross.Davis What's a Dremel?

Ok, so I wanted to start folding using an SMP setup. I attempted to follow the guide set out by leexgx in http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=177946

It was all fine until I got to the point where I was supposed to use my IP address to access the reconfiguration page to change the settings. Instead of having a normal 192. IP it was a 10. IP.

Apparently this means its a private address. (I am a noob when it comes to networking) Consequently I couldn't access the page needed and it wouldnt start folding as a result.

I should say I live in university halls where you plug the LAN Cable directly in to the wall. However, as I wanted to use a second laptop as well, I bought another IP address from the provider (Ask4) as well as a router.

Any suggestions as to whats going wrong would be very much appreciated.

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

your router most likely gives out the IP 10.0.0.* (* = the DHCP ip it norm hands out)

169.* is private IP (that happens when the DHCP server fails to give out an IP)

have you plugging all your computers into the router now as you have an router now

you did not need to Buy an new IP if your using an router as its an NAT device it makes an public ip thats your Internet IP into an 192 or 10 IP (you can plug in upto 200 computers into an router norm) what make is the router

3. Ross.Davis

Ross.Davis What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I misinformed. Had to buy another MAC address as the provider will not give a connection to one that isn't registered with them.

My IP address according to VMware Player is 10.119.252.112

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You'd be better off buying a cable router then giving the providor the mac address of the router.
    You could then plug as many devices as you like in to your router & get a connection.

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

buy an Cable router and use that only, then that will allow you to have as many pcs as you want connected to it

just do not tell them that its an router as they think your sharing it with others (WPA2 the router or turn off the wireless completely)