1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition Vote for your Game of the Year 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I do agree, but it's a situation where we can't win. If we list console games here then we just get people yelling "Why waste your time on consoles?" and "Your supposed to be a PC site!"

We had separate awards last year, now we're trying it a different way. Feedback appreciated.

2. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

a b and w

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This list made me realise how little I've played this year :(

Batman, L4D2 and Dragon Age were my votes, with Batman the only game I've played enough of to really justify. I was tempted to go with Torchlight because I found the demo so fun but lack of MP killed the sale for me.

4. andy1911

andy1911 What's a Dremel?

Stupid thing wont let me log in to vote.
    i am already signed up for the news letter have reset my password it just wont let me log in :(

5. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Hey where is STALKER Call of Pripyat? So what I ordered the Russian version the game is that good period.
    I take it this is PC game of the year cause I don't see Uncharted 2 on here.

Oh well my vote on any system is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call Of Pripyat.
    MW2 will most likely win

6. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

SFIV gets my vote - brings back all the fun from the arcade & SNES (Also SFII Turbo on PC).

Not that fussed by most of the games that have come out over the year (Still playing GT Legends!), although PES 2010 looks good and I'll probably get AC2 this month and Mass Effect 2 when it comes out.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Unfortunately, we don't speak Russian. Plus, given the previous quality of newly released STALKER games - we'll wait until at least the third patch before we play it, otherwise I've no doubt this'll happen again: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2008/09/12/stalker-clear-sky/6 :lol:

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Looking over the list, I've only played one and a demo of another o_O

9. enikmaster

enikmaster What's a Dremel?

voted for Modern Warfare 2 because of the awsome graphics, Borderlands because it's so freaking addict, and my favorite Mirror's Edge because it's a game that inovated in so many levels. first the Physx engine, then the type of game, the story... in general, it was a great game, too short though...

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Word is from folks I know who have braved the raw Russian version of the game is that third time is the charm. This is of course second hand opinions, but Call of Pripyat is supposedly looking tastier than a sugar coated bloodsucker.

My choices for game of the year would be:

Empire Total War. It took a bloody long time to get patched up to what it should have been on release, and frankly much as I love the series the idea that Creative Assembly basically finished the game within three months of the intended release of a sequel pisses me all the way off, but it is what it is. Find a friend or make one if you have to and play a player versus player campaign. With a human player taking the role of the opponent in every battle you get a game that is hugely challenging and at the same time almost never dull, because you're playing battles in all sorts of situations as all manner of nations. I'm running a campaign with a friend at the mo and, while playing as the French, I've commanded Mughals, pirates, Spanish and native Americans against the other player. It's fun on a bun, and you're never exposed to the weakest part of the game, the battle AI.

Arma 2. Another game that needed a bit of patching to find it's stride, which I will tolerate in suitably ambitious titles, if a game is generic shooter #352 it has to work off the bat, but trying something new is hard, Arma 2 has improved markedly on its release version and is set to be about squared away with the upcoming patch that addresses some old problems. Basically I just love this game. I haven't actually played the campaign yet though. It's got co-op play, from small scale two or four man teams if you like that, to platoon sized. It's got PvP, again in any scale you like (biggest I've played was 40v40, which was intense), it's got single player, you can make whatever mission you like and again, if you just want to build a make a mission where you watch armies clash from a position of safety you can do that too.

Dragon Age: Origins. Sweet beardy Jebus what a game that is. I've loved many games, but with Dragon Age it was special. Really. It was better than Baldur's Gate. There I said it. And basically the same interface, but that didn't matter. Bioware probably could have made Dragon Age using the Neverwinter Nights module creation toolset and it still would have been the best RPG ever made. The fact that they didn't use it, and instead pushed the boat out with the result that Dragon Age drips class from every single aspect of the game production from the voice acting to the art style is just a plus. I also loved that it was an old school RPG with real meat on its bones. Sixty hours end to end, and I only played it as a good guy, and I know I missed a lot of it out. It's a proper, substantial game, not a one night wonder. Without a doubt the best game ever to grace any console, though I say that having played the PC version.

For my money this has been a great year for PC games, but then I'm an optimist, even a year that doesn't see brilliant games sees us closer to when those games will appear (Mass Effect 2, Call of Pripyat etc). What has made me happy though is that there are still games out there like Total War and Arma 2 that are flying in the face of what we are told is the inevitable process of dumbing down games, and better still, we've seen Dragon Age: Origins which is right up there with GTA 4 and Mass Effect as a console game that I'm not ashamed to have on my PC. Maybe the consoles can be redeemed, compensating for a lack of power with solid fundamentals. Hell MW2 managed it, not my cup of tea I have to say, but considering it's specced to run on a the glorified Foreman Grill that is the X360 it looks pretty tasty.

Big disappointment for me came from the strange direction of football games. I love a good football game. It's just a crying shame that the Big Two have been going downhill since Pro Evo 4 on the PS2. They added more controls, more options, more content, but it just doesn't play right. Funnily enough NHL10 (the ice hockey thing for those who don't know) has the option to play on the NHL95 Megadrive three button control scheme, and it's brilliant. Less is more I guess. Unlike this post. :)

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Fallout 3? :confused:

12. undertheradar

undertheradar What's a Dremel?

I never said that (because 'it' was developed for PC makes it a better game). Let me be clearer... I should have said 'crappy' console ports. But yes, overall, if the best we can look forward to is a concole port, it must be a crappy year indeed for PC games.

13. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

wheres the option for Uncharted 2?

I understand PC gaming is important but if the site continues to create boundaries and segregate elements such as this it is really hard to come across impartial.

So basically the question is - Best game for the pc?

Game of the year implies overall, all games released this year....in which case i vote uncharted 2.

14. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

hmm I clearly spend too much time playing WoW these days... no time to play all the other games.. anyway WoW WoTLK would have made it on the list were I to choose.. but then I don't think you reviewed it AND it also works on Mac's soo... guess not a PC only game ;)

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Fallout 3 was released Q3 last year.

Batman AA, MW2 and erm.... eh... meh... Mirrors Edge I suppose.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Woohoo, I won Dirt 2, Battleforge and any game from GOG.com.

Cheers chaps.

Tags: Add Tags