1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News "BBC should support small UK devs"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Dec 2009.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Advertising space. Everyone wants the big hits so they can sell airtime for more. The BBC don't give a **** about bringing you the sports, since it's free anyway if ITV gets it, like you mention.

2. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

except the beeb don't have advertising - so they have no space to sell (on the terrestrial channels in the uk before some pedant (like me) tells me they do)

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I dont see why they should be investing our money anyway. They should be making new content insted of endless repeats.

4. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

.....the BBC is the UK's primary TV corporation and is funded by a license fee which is currently GBP £142.50 (USD $231.50) annually for every household that owns a TV.

This is complete and utter nonsense. :wallbash:

A TV licence is *only* required for receiving and recording TV programmes...as they are broadcasted.

The TV licence is not a TV tax...I have 4 TV's in my household and none of them require a TV licence, as they are not used to receive/record broadcast TV...it's a tax on receiving/viewing/recording broadcast TV..... as they are broadcasted!

Do you understand???:duh:

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

lol if you want to be technical then its not £142.50 if your a pensioner or have a black and white TV :)

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

But its still a device that has this capability, i'd like to see you prove this when a TV license guy appears at your house one day.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

The licence covers anything that has the ability to receive radio and tv signals. Basically anything with a tuner in it. Even PC tuner cards and DVD recorders count. If you don't want to pay a licence then you have to remove the tuner or disable it on a perminant basis. That doesn't mean not plugging in a arial which of course is tempory.

8. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

you guys are getting a little off topic, video games are primarily visual entertainment and so fall under the film board, at least in the US.

Thing about it, movie/TV industries gets tax breaks and benefits, so why shouldnt video game companies, pretty much every state in the US atm is offering some insane offers just to get game developers to move their offices to their state, and all the offers of tax rebates, tax cuts, etc are from the board of film for that state.

it is weird that he says the BBC specifically, doesnt the UK have departments of film?

the thing is at the moment the salaries for developers in the UK are ridiculous compared to those offered in the US or Canada, there are also no incentives to open studios in the UK as there is no state of government subsidies aimed at the game industry.

I think its a step in the right direction, if you want to build the industry you're gonna have to offer some incentive for companies to want to open offices in the UK.

9. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

But it's not about capability...it's about the use of the device.

This is all very clear on the TVL website.

I have a satellite digibox and it is not used to receive/view/record TV programmes as they are broadcast. It is used to listen to satellite radio....and in this particular use...it does not need a TV licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology-top8/
    If you use your digital set-top box to produce sounds only (you don't use it to display programmes), then you don't need a TV Licence.

No it does not. You are wrong. See my link above regarding radio.

Again you are wrong. You are under no obligation to remove or disable any tuner in your equipment, if the equipment is not used to receive/view/record TV programmes.....as they are broadcasted.

I must say I'm disappointed at the lack of research and knowledge from the author of the article, regarding the TV licence. :(

Tags: Add Tags