1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox is most popular browser

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Bloated? Maybe. Bloatware? No. At the moment there's nothing to beat Firefox's extensions, and browsing speed is also high taking into consideration just how flexible it is. Chrome is nice and choppy and beats Firefox's memory footprint, but other than that, there's really nothing to it. Only think that makes me use Chrome (Beta) is xmarks.

3. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

IE is bloated, Firefox is not ;)
    atm i use Chrome, why? best speed, nd in the latest beta it even has extensions support

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Just as I have abandoned it for Chrome beta which only has one thing left to implement for me to be utterly content with it, an API to enable true blocking of elements of a site.

5. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam What's a Dremel?

Yup, I have no idea why firefox was regarded as "bloated" at the end of this article :nono:

6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

The add-ons for Firefox are a real plus. NoScript for example, is a must have.

I've never really used IE. Back in the day I used Netscape 4. Eventually I moved onto Mozilla then Firefox when it came along.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's all about the extensions, no point having a fast browser if it doesn't do what you want it to do.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Firefox is no longer an underdog?
    Well, I better go change my browser to Chrome now so I can still be cool. :p

The 'bloated' comment is a bit of a loaded statement. Firefox is memory-hungry, but it could hardly be called 'bloated' after the years of IE-dominance that we've put up with.

In truth though, NoScript and Adblock are the deal-clinchers for me. If IE were more standards-compliant and had NoScript & Adblock I'd used that instead - The same goes for any browser, I'm mercenary like that.

That is, except for Opera.
    I refuse to install Opera on principle, after they tossed their toys out of the pram over Microsoft's inclusion of IE with Windows. Seriously Opera, get a grip.

(I know it wasn't just Opera, but they struck me as the worst whiners out of the lot and Opera evangelists on the whole have annoyed me more than even the Apple fanboys with Safari.)

9. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

Yeah NoScript and AdBlock Plus are amazing. Firefox should be quick enough with these two installed, so not bloated :)

10. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I just wish Mozilla would make a mobile version of Firefox for the iphone.

11. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I tried firefox once but it looked like it was going to be a hassle to make it as good as opera so I decided not to waste time and stick with opera

12. sear

sear Guest

They're basically just butthurt over the fact that their subpar "indie" browser isn't as popular as the big boys... of course their entire marketing gimmick relies upon them being the "underdogs"; if they became popular they'd probably kill themselves the realisation of what they'd become. They won't be happy until Microsoft's operating system comes packaged with Opera as the default, anyway, so it's best to just ignore them.

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i actually prefer ie8, i would use 64bit version all the time, if adobe could hurry up and release a 64bit flash player.

14. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

So Safari still has a miniscule share despite Apple attempting to install it along with iTunes?

15. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Maybe a little misleading? IE is the most popular browser, but once you split it into IE7 and IE8, Firefox overtakes it. Perhaps we need to take this news with a pinch of salt?

16. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

someone non-computer literate enough to let that happen, is the same someone who has no idea what safari is, and the same someone who would only click the internet explorer button to go on the interwebs.

17. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

This is really great news (has been a fact in Europe for a while) but bit-tech's headline isa little dare I say it "wrong".

"Firefox" is not the most popular browser. "Firefox 3.5" is the most popular browser. If you ignore specific versions, then IE is by far the most popular when you tot up the versions.

Firefox is full of win for getting people to upgrade by making it such an easy (and often unintended!) upgrade

18. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Having used Chrome for months, Firefox does really feel bloated and slow, even though I don´t have plugins for either! Also, pointing out that Firefox has more users than IE7 *or* IE8 but not both seems a bit pointless - if they included FF2 users as separate from FF3, would that give a different result?

19. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

hope they get better and better, especially the capability with different addons, and sometimes the speed of loading

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They do - if you read the article, you'll see that the figures are for Firefox 3.5 - they don't include 3.0, 2.0, or any prior version.

Tags: Add Tags