1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Mouse?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Dec 2009.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Fair comment there and also maybe do a review with mouse bungee's that are available

2. AuDioFreaK39

AuDioFreaK39 IT Journalist

Why am I seeing no mention of the CM Storm Sentinel Advance?

3. robi386

robi386 What's a Dremel?

I'll ask again, since maybe you overlooked it:
    Did you test the Ikari Optical or the Ikari Laser? The picture is of the Laser, the buy link leads to the Laser, the fact that you say it's heavy implies it's the Laser..

4. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

deathadder rulez :) and once you've got dedicated button to switch sensitivity it's real killer in fps games

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Nice review, but there's one fatal flaw. Which mouse feels right for a given person is one of the most subjective decisions when it comes to buying new hardware/peripherals for your PC. Even more so than getting the right keyboard.

To get the best mouse for you, apart from a given feature set, is really down to trying them out for yourself. Especially with all the new ergonomical mice coming out these last couple of years. What feels comfortable for your friend doesn't necessarily feel comfortable for you.

I've had the original Intellimouse Explorer 3 for about two years until the left button gave out, then I got myself a MX510 which also lasted about two years and now I'm using the MX518. Personally, however much I liked the Explorer I do feel the MX510/518 is more comfy for me weight- and sizewise. I'm not really fond of that rubber coating that's used on the Logitech mice, though. It starts to peel off after only a couple of months.

By the way, regarding the G9x part, I'm sure you meant "wondering" and not "wandering"... :p

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

MX510 still going strong. And will do for a long time.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah still have a g5 here too, still seems new.. I use the sensitivity adjustment alot in programs like photoshop- it's perfect when masking

gaming it's pretty good.. but 5k sensitivity wow =] I just don't like the silver and boxy look of that logitech mouse- the deathadder looks so much better imo

8. Auld

Auld What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 22 Dec 2009
  9. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I completely agree with the rating for the Death Adder. I've had one for a few years now and never had any problems with it. Been a great mouse, with plenty of cable as well so that has never been an issue either.

10. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

funny how my first razer mouse, the Viper from wayy back in 2005 is still going perfect, while both my krait and diomandback broke within months. my latest purchase (a deathadder) from a year ago looks like it will last a few more years. its my favorite mouse to date

11. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i agree with platinum, mx 518 Cheesecake, the original 518 was great, and now the mx has the on the fly sensitivity adjustment which is a must for fps's imo, its only like 30 quid aswell, bargain!

peace

fatman

edit. overclockers sell it for £22, put that in your pipe and smoke it. Can we have a part 2 edition of this so that older mice that are still available like the 518, g5 and other mice that people have mentioned can be looked at too, we dont all shop by most expensive product made by a particular brand!

12. DarkRose

DarkRose What's a Dremel?

I'm not a big FPS player anymore, so I still rock my MS Trackball Optical, USB 1.0 and everything! Damn I wish they'd updated it, or would come back out with an updated version... For those of us with limited desk space, it's the berries...

13. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

I've been using Razer mice since I started PC gaming (5 years ago....ish) and never had anything bad to say about them. No need for silly adjustable weights or fancy wireless jobbies. Just perfectly formed, reliable and rapid mice.

Heck my original Diamondback from almost 4 years ago only died a few months back after the baby got tall enough to keep yanking it off the desk when I wasn't looking. My current Diamondback 3G and the Krait I had before were both just as sublime. Razer's implementation of in-game adjustable sensitivity has never been beaten imo.

The predicament I find myself in now is that I have a Saitek Cyborg keyboard and stick and love them both enough to want to try the mouse (which I was hoping to see in this roundup)...

14. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

I have 'Saitek cyborg' mouse and love it and its configurability, the wires' too stiff though, so I use a mouse bungee and now its perfect, infact i've ordered another one for the downstairs computer.

15. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Can i add a question like many other have made,

Why is the Razer Mamba out of the equation, it's a gaming mouse and adds a feature that so many want now-a-days, being cordless/wireless. I get the whole idea about the corded being the best but a big "what if" the wireless mice are getting equal or even better results than the corded ones?

I get the Mamba is quite expensive, that's what holding me back to buy it right now, but more cordless mice should be tested. Go back to the single and/or previous mice's reviews and get them together if possible while adding the wireless ones.

Many gamers such as I, got tired of the cable mess on the table and want a tidy a cable-free environment so I think a review with the that kind of gaming mice would be appreciated by many others.

16. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Got the razer afteri got another system. Up till then I had a 3 button microsoft optical track wheel.

Definitely prefer the mouse to anything on the market and it has the right mix of features for me.
    I always thought the dpi on the fly and weight systems etc are gimmiky. I'm curious how people actually use the DPI on the fly systems? as a former tourney FPS player (CS, UT yes I'm that old) I never got what i would want anything more than one sensitivity for.

Anyways a mouse is a personal preference really, use what's comfortable that will do you the best.

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

have they fixed the build quality issue with Razer DeathAdder not having a flush base and overheating? the middle of my Razer DeathAdder would scrape on my mouse pad and it'd get covered in beeads of sweat lol feel free to send some sweaty hand jokes but my M$ IM Explorer 3.0 doesn't cause it

18. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

I personally found it essential for BF2, going from a ultra low sensitivity for long range sniping, only to jump in a Cobra or J-10 and whack it up to the highest to barrel roll and twist out the way of enemy TV guided/heatseaking missiles.

SupCom also benefits for me, low sensitivity for zoomed in micro management of engineers and structure placement in the early game then high sensitivity for quickly scrolling across the map and drag selecting fleets of subs/wings of aircraft when mobilizing for the killing blow late game.

19. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Im still rocking my Genius Ergo520 i bought at half price 2 years ago.. sensitivity from 400 -800-1600dpi adjustable from a side button, two other side buttons which can be mapped, and very comfortable.. side tilt scroll wheel too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. robi386

robi386 What's a Dremel?

I wanted to post something like this, but the problem here is that gaming is a very loose term. It can mean playing hardcore CS:)S) or playing GTA while drinking some beer. You want great tracking for the former, but for the latter it doesn't really matter, you'll enjoy the game anyway. That's why a general "review" such as this one can't tell the whole story. And it's also one reason why our preferences differ so much. We'd need more specialized reviews for "serious FPS play".

The weights are a gimmick, IMO. Why would somebody want a heavy mouse is beyond me.. It needs to be as light as possible, including the cable (where the MX518 fails hard and I hated that when I used it). That way you can move your mouse with the least resistance which makes the movement more accurate.

For the DPI switching: I really like that feature, but not in game (I play CS:S). I use it for editing pictures, when I need that extra precision. The Ikari's implementation is perfect, IMO. I really missed that kind of switch when using the Deathadder (it's on the bottom, but that's not too good, plus you need to install drivers for it to work).

Tags: Add Tags