1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox is most popular browser

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Dec 2009.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

How many people are still using earlier version of FF though? It prompts pretty insistently to upgrade.

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

And rightly so, hackers are always finding holes that then need to be patched.

Chrome for me, it's faster, and uses less screen space :)

3. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I find it hard to imagine any one with a iota of tech knowledge using IE.

4. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Firefox supports xmarks sir: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410

5. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Very true, I suppose I was assuming that they would at least have a look to find out what it was, and maybe find it better than IE. (I haven't personally had to use Safari)

6. RTT

RTT #parp

FF is a slow beast!

7. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

Despite the "bloatedness" it's still the best browser out there (in my opinion). The non-artwork derivates (as I don't use Firefox itself; see below) show vast differences between 3.0.6 and 3.5.5 in RAM usage, which is what I based my "bloatedness" claim on - but to be fair, this PC wasn't exactly considered high-end four years ago.

One complaint about the article (guess what it's about ;)) though... Firefox is free software (obligatory explanatory link), not open-source. The only restricted portion is the artwork, which (software-wise) is both neglectable and understandable to say the least.

Open-source and free software are very, very different and it's upto users, coders (Mozilla, unfortunately, doesn't make much effort to say they're free and not just open-source) and publications to stress this difference; as at the end of the day it's the end-user who's affected by the license.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2009
  8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

still like opera my self, i may have like 50 tabs open and its only using 400-500MB of ram (cant beat its remember tab support not yet any way)

9. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

I just use safari because it is so simple, its fast and it always works....
    FF doesn't offer anything that i would actually use as opposed to safari or IE8 on my PC.

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Gotta love Fiefox and all the great extensions.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

anyone tech savvy would know how to configure ie so as not to have as many problems, and anyway, no browser is perfect, better the devil you know ;)

also anyone tech savvy would avoid the questionable sites which cause the problems

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Anyone tech savy would choose a browser that did a good job at rendering websites correctly and in a timely fashion.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Great post inducing comment! :p

Bloated compared to what?
    If you say that something is bloated then you must compare to something that has the same usefulness and is not bloated. Is there anything like that?

After trying Chrome I had the same feeling. So I trimmed my Firefox:
    [​IMG]
    The left button is the Menu, the Star button is the Favorites.
    Courtesy of Compact Menu 2 and Toolbar Buttons extensions.

I tried other browsers but Firefox is like those old shoes that fit just right. The other shoes may be prettier, newer, fashionable but is with Firefox that I feel most confortable with.

14. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

I love how they say that Firefox finally beat out an outdated version of Internet Explorer. That would be similar to any car company touting the day that they overtake the number of Model “Tâ€￾s sold. It is simply foolish to denote it as a mile marker and even more sad for a news organization to parrot this.

I love to talk to people who think that Firefox is the end-all-be-all of browsers and if you use it you will never have a problem with “that there interwebsâ€￾. This simply isn't true. It isn't the browser that makes your computer more secure. Similarly it isn’t the writing utensil that you use to spell words correctly. One can have different features from the other but to claim (like Mozilla does) that theirs is better in every way simply isn't true.

The truth of the matter is no browser or antivirus will ever protect a computer against a malicious or ignorant user. I have been using Internet Explorer ever since the days of its first release and have never had problems with it, been attacked through it or had any adverse feelings about recommending its use as an IT professional. There is one disclaimer to this and it applies to any piece of software or browser on your computer; YOU MUST KEEP IT UPDATED. Again I must repeat: It is not the browser that you use to make your computer more secure or your “interwebsâ€￾ faster but how you use it.

Beyond that it is all just personal preference and any person touting otherwise should be rightly called an idiot.

15. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I think you're missing the point a little.
    FF 3.5 has more market share than any other specific version of browser, not just the older versions of IE et al.
    Its only when you count all versions of IE against all versions of FF combined that IE is still top.
    Also, don't forget that IE is bundled with Windows and for FF to get any kind of market share, savvy users have got to go out and download it and install it specifically.
    So this is a very relevant milestone IMO.

I think its better than the competition in every important way, otherwise I'd use something else.

I agree with you on this 100%

Again I agree to a certain extent.
    The issue I have with IE is that it is integral to the OS and by compromising the browser, you often gain full access to the PC.
    I also feel Mozilla moves quicker in fixing vulnerabilities and does a better job in pushing them to users, thus limiting exposure for users to malicious activity.
    Combine this with the amount of historical security issues and I feel FF comes out ahead (though how much this is influenced by IE's market share making it a bigger target remains to be seen).

I agree that it should be a user's preference that decides which browser they use but as I've said, FF has everything going for it in comparison to IE or any of the others. FF+xmarks+noscript=happiness IMO. :)

16. macpeter

macpeter What's a Dremel?

yes u can say that firefox is most popular. but it is very heavy and take a lot of time.

17. zolwang

zolwang What's a Dremel?

I dont' think so,i use IE8,very well!!

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the 64bit ie is extremely fast at rendering webpages, the only thing against its full time use is adobes lack of 64bit flash player

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which isn't a problem if you're using Linux, as there's a 64-bit Flash plugin available.

20. raafe

raafe What's a Dremel?

Oh how i love linux.. I run firefox on my ubuntu box and konqueror on my kubuntu box, i use ie6 over firefox on my win2k box at work, although i will probably make the switch soon as mozilla seem to be the only people left that still support win2k =(

Tags: Add Tags