1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First Custom Build -> Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goodpancake, 23 Dec 2009.

1. goodpancake

goodpancake What's a Dremel?

Hey all, first-time poster here looking for some help on building my first custom rig
    The most I'm probably going to do on this computer is play Modern Warfare 2 and Starcraft 2 (whenever that's coming out...), and I'm hoping to keep this under a budget of $700 (I don't know if this is very practical)
    So here goes:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

Motherboard: Gigabyte AM3/2+/2 AMD 790X ATX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

RAM: Corsair 2 x 2GB 240-pin DDR2 800
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145241

Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128bit GDDR5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369

PSU: Corsair 750W ATX12V
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

HDD: Western Digital 320GB 7200rpm 3.0SATA 3.5" (Bare)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136098
    * because this is bare, do I need to purchase a cable to connect to the mobo? I know that the PSU comes with a SATA to connect to this drive

DVD-ROM: Lite-On 24x DVD-R SATA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106334
    * do I need an extra cable for this as well?

Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

* would I need extra cooling fans for this set-up?

If anyone could let me know whether this set-up is off at all :wallbash: or if my post lacks any particular details :confused: that'd be great. Thanks!

-Kevin

Last edited: 23 Dec 2009
  2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

The motherboard should come with the cables, etc, for hard drive connection.

I'd stick extra fans in the Antec. I believe it has 2 free slots, maybe more, for 120mm fans. Sharkoon Silent Eagles are your best bet (the golf-ball ones).

3. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Nice looking build.

I do have a couple of suggestions.

750W is more than you need in a PSU. Get a 500W instead and save a bit of money. Corsair are a good brand. You may also want to have a look at the Enermax Eco80.

You may wish to take a look at the Asus M4A79XTD EVO. It is $10 more than the motherboard you chose but does offer DDR3 support.

I would suggest DDR3 memory. It gives a slight performance boost over DDR2 and will cost about the same. Sticking with corsair a couple of examples of what you can get are Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1333 for $90 or Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB DDR3 1600 for $95. Obviously you will need an AM3 motherboard.

The Phenom II X2 550 is a good choice however you may want to bear in mind that Intel are releasing their Clarkdale i5 and i3 (I really hate Intel's new naming system) range on Jan 7 which should introduce a bit more of a selection of CPUs for you to choose from.

For a graphics card I would suggest taking a look at a 5770 if you can afford one. They give similar performance to a 4870 but produce less heat and use less power.

4. goodpancake

Thanks for the responses :D Very, very helpful

^
    Hmmmm, my laptop (which is the only computer I currently own) just died out the other day (moniter and then graphics card (?) on an ASUS f3sv) so I'm trying to put together a new setup before I head back for uni. Are these new releases going to be reasonable in price (relative to the Phenom II X2)?

Thanks again! :thumb:

5. MaverickWill

Point one - not a clue on pricing. i3 are for home/office use (integrated GPU - bet it's pants!), and the low-end i5 might be OK, but if you've got that size budget, maybe it's not essential. Still, if you need it now, get it now. Especially if your studies are a priority.

Point two - the Antec Three Hundred is a wonderful case. If you put two fans in it. It only comes with the rear fan, and top fan. Two extra fans in the front will allow a good airflow, and keep everything cool. If you're not entirely fussed about noise, just go for pretty much any 120mm fan. There's a round-up here.

To be fair, the case is so good for the money, it's not worth considering a whole load else on a budget build. You've got to increase your cash for this if you want better - the Antec 902, Cooler Master HAF 922 and Lancool PC-50 (I think?) are the ones that spring to mind.

Oh, and I forgot before (forgive me, it's nearly 7am here...) - Welcome to the forums. :p

6. goodpancake

Hey, thanks a lot, man! It's rare that you come by a good forum (that welcomes the newbs) these days!
    I believe that it would in fact be best for me to get this system up and running ASAP, so I'm going to stick with AMD here. Also I've taken your advice with the new mobo w/ DDR3 compatibility and the Corsair sticks to match :D I would very much like to pick up that 5770, but perhaps I'll have to upgrade sometime in the future (once I've got a bit more green on me, haha).
    Thanks again to the both of you, and I'll probably post a follow-up reply once I've got this baby set up :cooldude:

7. MaverickWill

8. macpeter

macpeter What's a Dremel?

my personal computer make very annoying sound . Is it because of less cooling...........

9. MaverickWill

Short answer - start your own thread, please. Give us details of your machine in there.
    Long answer - start your own thread, pretty please. Give us details of your machine in there.

10. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I have always been hesitant about recommending the MSI 770-C45 as I am not certain about the capabilities of its power circuitry. It is a point that Bindi mentioned in his review. The board should be fine for a Phenom II X2 but may not support a 140W CPU. Otherwise it looks to be a decent board.

Another point to note it that 770 based boards only support 1 graphics card.

11. MaverickWill

With the $40 saved over the Gigabyte board, that's "GPU upgrade" territory, arguably more important on a budget.

MSI never certified the board for the 140W Phenom II 965, but AMD don't make the 140W 965 any more. It's been revised to 125W. Besides, this IS an X2 we're talking here! The MSI 770-C45 survived the 24-hour stress test with an X3 in it, so this should be sweet.

EDIT: Turns out it is certified. Linky - see the title.

12. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I was just giving that some thought myself. Saving $40 on the motherboard and putting it toward a 5770 would actually make good sense.

I am not convinced the motherboard does actually take a 140W CPU as the only X4 965 that is listed on the MSI site as being compatible is the C3 stepping but as long as goodpancake didn't upgrade to a quad then try to overlcock it the 125W rating should be fine.

It would certainly be good for a X2 550 even if it was overclocked.

13. MaverickWill

Phenom II 550 - $99
    Radeon 5770 - $155
    WD 320GB HDD - $48
    CD/DVD Burner - $28 - a couple of bucks saved!
    Antec 300 - $55
    2 fans - $10
    MSI 770-C45 - $80
    Corsair 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - $95
    Corsair 750W PSU - $110 ($90 after a rebate) - I left this in, purely for the price. The thing's half-price with the rebate. A Corsair TX750 for £60? You'll feel like you robbed them. I couldn't beat this with a lower wattage model.

Total before rebates - $680. $660 after rebates.

I think we've done quite well here! :D

Save the rest for Stacraft 2! ;)

14. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Not a bad build.

The 750W PSU is overkill but for the price Newegg are sellingit at it is hard to recommend anything else.

15. MaverickWill

Incredibly so. Like I said, imagine if you could get it over here, for £60. Would you ever buy anything else?

16. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

17. MaverickWill

The irony - the Asus is the board that the MSI beats in its review - linky

And the 400W Corsair only has one 6-pin PCI-E power connector. Believe me, I tried hunting for a PSU to beat the 750W Corsair, because it's overkill, and quite considerably. It's the price... Wow. Screw this, I'm moving to somewhere that Newegg deliver to!

EDIT: Shoot! We forgot a processor heatsink! Anyone, Phenom II processor heatsink, Newegg?

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I agree with the fans as I have 3 of these on my triple rad and they are silent but very effective.

Simon

19. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

There's your cooler.

I appreciate the irony, but I specced that board for a reason. All the Asus boards with the 710 southbridge can unlock individual cores. I wouldn't even consider an X2 550 system without core unlocking. If it doesn't work, you've lost a few quid. It it does (even just to triple core) it's serious value and a great feeling of sticking it to the man - surely?! :thumb:

20. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

The stock AMD heatsink actually performs quite well. I would suggest sticking with that, initially at least.