1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The Hardware Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Dec 2009.

1. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Scythe ninja, or themalright ultra 120?

The E6750 got a bit overlooked because of the Q6600, but certainly the core2 chips were pretty awesome down the line. Those two definitely provided the best value, off the bat and when overclocking.

how about.... the HD103UJ? its price/GB was unmatched for a long time, and by a long way, i have 5 of them, still all going strong.

lastly, please dont put the P182 in. it was a good case, you could do a huge amount with it, but it had so many flaws.....

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Fail: CoolIT Domino, that thing couldn't cool worth a penny and cost much more than that.
    Fail: FX5800, howcome no one mentioned this? It had a vaccum of a cooler and performed terribly.
    Fail: Radeon X1550, this one's a bit off the radar, but apart from being expensive past obscenity for a low end card, it was hotter than the same cruddy performing card the X1300.
    Fail: Intel Integrated Video Chipsets: These babies cost consumers much money, had laughably bad performance, and showed how bad intel was at making Video chipsets, not to mention that aside from desktop interface rendering it was practically next to useless.

I've got a huge backlog for some reason, so i might be on this thread for ages.

Fame+Fail: Voodoo5 cards, although they flopped and cost $600 on release and lacked performance you can't argue that the card itself was a monster to behold, not to mention the Voodoo5 6000(or was it 5500?) had 2 Voodoo GPUs on one PCB.
    Fame+Fail: The Fabled 2900XTX, anyone remember back in 2007 when there were rumors of a 1GB 2900XTX that had an insane memory frequency but the benchmarks failed? Turns out that some of these cards were made, albeit with the stock cooler and upon a re-benchie of this card it proved to be almost as fast or faster than the 8800GTX, still didn't stop it from being an oven with the reference cooler though.

Fame + Fail: NForce 680i, While it had some horrendous Heatsinks on the NB and had more hot mosfets than an improperly cooled HD4870X2, you can't deny how awesome it is to have 3x 8800Ultras on one PCB and make it successfully work. With that said, the NF6 did do pretty bad at overclocking.

Hey BT! Any chance of a writing job for me? :D

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

You made the 2900XT cry

[​IMG]

I hope you're happy now :nono:

4. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

8800 GTX was on one of the best investments I ever made in my long career as a PC Gamer. It was with some regret that I had to replace it when the 4870x2 came out, its time was up. It found a nice home a young gamers PC, he now plays Crysis in dx10.

The 4870x2 is getting long in the tooth as well and with the advent of the 5970 it is time to upgrade. The 4870x2 deserves a place on this list, since only ATI was able to beat it, by releasing a new generation of cards for dx11.

The last two cards mentioned here are great to play Shattered Horizon with!!!

Yours in Indefatigable Plasma,
    Star¤Dagger

5. Elton

:(

I liked that card. But be honest, it was quite the flop.

I like the eyes though.

6. r0z|3o0n

r0z|3o0n What's a Dremel?

Good article, some nice nostalgia in there :)

Hardware I would have given the nod to...

6600GT - affordable and lightyears ahead of the terrible FX series it replaced.
    Athlon 2500+
    P4 805D of Tom's fame - the one that would do 4ghz and killed every other CPU on the market at the time...

7. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Hehe, true :blush:

It was hot and loud, but after years of too many Nvidia driver bluescreens i was limited for choice at the time.

As for the eyes, it adds to my conviction that 'stick-on googly eyes improve anything™' :lol:

8. Elton

Hence the Avatar? So any of you guys got any other suggestions? Because I'm tempted to write more, someone give me the green light?

Oh and about the P4 D 805, it did trump almost every CPU, unless you were to overclock any of the Athlon X2s by 400mhz, at 4.1Ghz it still was edging the Athlons running at 2.4Ghz.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

8800GTX: The GPU so nice I bought it thrice :D

[​IMG]

3 years on and
    STILL
    KICKING
    ARSE!

:rock:

10. hardflipman

hardflipman What's a Dremel?

How about the Abit BP6 from back in the day. Dual cpu support and could overclock the original celerons. i had 2 366 celerons running at 550mhz for many years!

11. Elton

That is soooooooo shiny!!

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

totally agree, but i still love mine!

I cant help but think this all came from a recent thread recently that me and MaverickWill kinda derailed lol!

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2179867#post2179867

I would have to say my hall of fame would have to be more developed than the one released.

As mentioned the epic XP-M 2500+ was the monster overclocker, and with a pencil you could soon have a Athlon MP for dual athlon goodness!

The epox 8RDA3+ and Abit NF7 both had a fight for the top spot of the motherboards, i was a 8RDA3+ fan because it was just that much fun!

I also think the 6800GT needed some love in the hall of fame, because the 7800 and 7900 performance jumps weren't that massive compared to the 6800 series, it took the mighty G80 to final scream ahead.

Also a mention to the Arctic cooling freeze 64 and 7, cheap cooling that really worked! Also there line of GPU coolers that made zalman products as useful as paper weights. Might i also note that akasa now copy the famous arctic cooling NV5 cooler!

The P35 chipset should have got some mention aswell as at the time nvidia chipsets were a pile of steaming horse crap, and still are.

But when intel released its core duo series they were still using intels 975 chipset, and overclocking didn't take off as well as it did when P35 was released.

The corsair H50 could have done with a mention as well, as its the first water cooling kit that performs and is as easy to install as the reference stock heatsink!

13. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Blame Vista. Hopefully with Win 7 being the new OS that actually works, DX 11 will get supported in a way that never happened with DX10.

I would like to nominate the Antec P180 case for the hall of fame. Once the warping panel fault was solved it was an amazing case, and a lot of the design features we now take for granted in a high end cases (Like the separate PSU and HDD compartment) appeared first in the P180. It was truly ahead of it's time at release, and has affected case design ever since.

14. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 What's a Dremel?

"The red team’s Radeon X800 was a souped-up Radeon 9800 Pro, which in turn was a souped-up Radeon 9700 Pro."

Very much incorrect. I had the X800XT All-In-Wonder and it was about 2X the performance of the Radeon 9800 Pro at 1280x1024. In some cases it was more than that.

15. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

8600gt=fail

16. Elton

Indeed, it was a forgettable card, wasn't bad by all means but the 2600XT ousted it whenever AA was off.

When it was on the 2600XT cried like a baby, even worse was the 8600GTS though, it needed a 6-pin PCI-E power plug and had pretty bad performance.

17. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I have never owned a Nvidia 8800GTX but I hear and speak with so many people that still use that card and play TODAY's games on it. This definitely deserves the hall of fame.

I actually have an Intellimouse and I love it. 5 buttons, horizontal/vertical scroll, very ergonomic, beyond excellent for gaming but drivers kinda suck for browsing the internet.

18. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Hey why are the first Athlon 64 chips not in the Hall Of Fame? They single handedly brought Intel to there blue man knee's. Light years ahead of everybody else. Athlon 64 and overclock were like one word (Athlon64overclockit) back in the mid 90's.

Windows XP should be in there too. Hate it or love it, everybody has used it, still uses it, and will never uninstall it.

19. Elton

:read:

It says hardware.

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Woah, you had a time-machine in the 90's, and you didn't go back and kill Hitler?! You are thereby partisan to the murder of millions of people!

Tags: Add Tags