1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays LCD HDTV/Monitor. Extreme blurry text - Weird resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -zorph-, 28 Dec 2009.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'd recommend the Dell U2410 if you're willing to shell out.

If not then the Dell 2209WA.

2. -zorph-

-zorph- What's a Dremel?

Hmm... I can't find a link to buy either monitor: Besides, the 22" is not the best resolution, and the 24" is a projector? (Atleast thats what the reviews say)

3. Elton

4. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

This will disapoint you I know, but I bought a Toshiba 40" 1080P TV to use as a second monitor.

Guess what? It looks like shite using HDMI, all blurry and fuzzy for text, (ok for games).

Reason? Turns out to use it as a MONITOR you need to hook it up with a VGA cable and it will then only offer up to 1280 x 1024, BUT it is nice and sharp and look lke a proper monitor., but that was not what i wanted when i bought it (same as you i guess)

Read your manual for yours and it will likely say similar.

About the scaling to fit the screen, then that is under your video card advanced options using the cards driver app software. I had to do it with my ATI card on my Toshiba.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Cheers

5. -zorph-

-zorph- What's a Dremel?

So my best bet would be to return this and get a dedicated monitor to use as a monitor?

Again: What are some good monitors

P.S. What is an acceptable response time for watching videos and gaming. Is 5ms fast enough or should I aim for 3? 6, 8?

6. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Yes get a proper monitor if thats your primary use. I got a Dell 2408WFP with all the trimmings and its good. Otherwise I'd go for a Samsung HD one.

Anything faster than 10ms would be fine. It depends how they measure the timing tbh

Cheers

7. Elton

Input lag isn't noticeable past 16ms, after that you can see it but it really depends on your eyes.

For me, I consider 12ms the borderline but 20ms is tolerable.

So, the Dell 2209WA or the Dell U2410 are monitors I'd wholeheartedly suggest as they are excellent, unless of course you want cheaper, then just go with any old Samsung, but you'll lose out on the great Image Quality of IPS panels.

8. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

check your video control panel advanced options for over/underscan options ... i have my 4850 hooked to my 37" LG with a hdmi ... and i was getting a big black border. turns out my underscan was set to 15%

9. -zorph-

-zorph- What's a Dremel?

10. Elton

All of them are TN panels, so they're all pretty much the same.

Just a size difference.

11. -zorph-

-zorph- What's a Dremel?

I am not quite aware of all the technical stuff of monitors: Which is why I am seeking help on these forums.

I just want to know a good 21-24" monitor for gaming and videos that has quick response time and is not too pricey.

Let me know, thanks.

12. Elton

Then pretty much any Samsung/Asus/Dell/HP monitor in that size range that's cheap and 24" and has a response of >5ms.

My suggestions are a bit pricier but it's worth it for the better picture quality and the fact that it has a pretty damned fast response time anyways.

Of course you can always go cheaper, but it's too much of a compromise Imo.

13. -zorph-

-zorph- What's a Dremel?

I'm not talking about dirt cheap, I am just saying 450+ is pushing it, I was thinking the mid 300 range would be just fine.

So other then those 2 Dell's is there any other suggestions for what I am looking for?

14. Elton

That 22" hits the spot I guess.

Or that Viewsonic VP2365, but I heard it's not bright enough.

15. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

The NEC Multisync EA231WMi got rave reviews in the last CPC issue.

23" IPS Panel for £282

16. -zorph-

-zorph- What's a Dremel?

17. Elton

Both of them are relatively average, what's your price limit by the way? Because we've listed all the sub 500 quid IPS monitors pretty much.

18. -zorph-

-zorph- What's a Dremel?

I am not sure what an IPS panel is or means, like I said I don't really have a good understanding of technical display stuff in terms of monitors or TV's.

My price tag is 200-300 preferably.

I know that that is a pretty low-end/average price range, but my point is to find one of the best monitors in that range.

Speaking of good monitors in that range... Are any of these any good, if so - which is better? I know the last one is kind cheap but it would be cool if you could share your thoughts.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2260wm.htm
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2433wm.htm
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2265wm-fuhzion-lcd.htm
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2233wm.htm

Thanks, looking forward to your reply.

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You'd be hard pressed to beat the Samsung SM2443NW 24" screen IMO. It's not the best panel out there, but for gaming and general use it's fine.

It's around £200 here in the UK, so probably just within your budget.

The reason I recommend this, is that it's a proper 1920x1200 screen, not a stupid 1920x1080 panel. Unless you're buying a television, I see no point in 1920x1080... it's just a cost cutting exercise.

20. Kris.

Kris. What's a Dremel?

I had the exact same problems with you, and in my circumstance, it was conflicting Graphic drivers that were creating problems.

Try this

1. Uninstall your graphic drivers
    2. Get Driver cleaning software, which helps to remove all the registry values from both nvidia (and ATI) software
    3. Reinstall your graphic drivers
    4. Voila, it should successfully change

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you :)