1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks BIOS Won't Recognise HDD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by stuartwood89, 8 Jan 2010.

1. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

After finding out that my Laptop has a dying hard drive, I went and bought a replacement for it. The laptop originally had a 40GB IDE drive, and I thought that if I had to replace the drive, then I might as well get a higher capacity drive. So I bought a 160GB Samsung IDE drive from eBay. Upon recieving and installing the drive into the unit, I found that when I tried opening the BIOS, it would take a while to open (as does the boot device selection menu), and once it does, under Hard Disk Drive it said 'none'. I've tried removing and reinstalling the drive, I've ensured that there are no jumpers on the drive and I've also tried installing Ubuntu onto it anyway, but the partitioner shows nothing. If I insert the old drive, everything works fine (well sort of).

As far as I know, the problem could arise because of two reasons; because I got swizzed on eBay, or because the laptop BIOS or mainboard will only support drives up to a certain capacity. I hope it's neither of those, as I bought that drive and waited quite a while for it because of the slow post and the snow.

Also I have no idea how to test a drive without buying some sort of IDE adaptor for my main PC. Is there any way this can be sorted?

Edit: Considering a BIOS update, but having trouble finding out how to do so without having to have a version of Windows on there.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2010
  2. stuartwood89

Anyone with similar problems, or knows a solution?

3. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

If a BIOS update doesn't work, you could try a Firmware update for the drive ?

Although i'm not sure if that will be possible if the BIOS can't detect it.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm reasonably sure that your notebook isn't actively preventing you from using the new disk (because of the increased storage space etc.). I'm a bit wary of the whole "purchased on eBay" thing however. I'd never buy stuff like that on eBay.

I'd try checking the drive on your desktop machine at your earliest opportunity. As for the adapter, the PATA interface for notebook drives is really just a desktop PATA interface and a power connector rolled into one. You could probably make your own adapter, but it's easier to buy one.

Firmware updates for HDDs aren't easy to come by and should really only be applied as a last resort. Updating your notebook's BIOS on the other hand could be a good idea (although I don't believe it'll sort you current problem).

5. stuartwood89

The seller had 100% feedback, otherwise there'd be no way I'd buy it. I've been trying to do a BIOS update but for some reason the Toshiba website only offers a download that installs through Windows. As there is no OS on the drive whatsoever (and as far as the laptop is concerned, there's no drive either) I can't find an alternative way to do it. What I'm looking for is a BIOS update that will install through a BOOTABLE CD. I'm thinking of phoning Toshiba support, but that will cost me a bomb, their forums are unfathomable so If anyone could point me the direction of a BIOS that I'm looking for (laptop model link is in OP), then my gratitude will literally know no bounds.

6. ferapen

ferapen What's a Dremel?

Scarcely that BIOS update helps, I think this is problem with HDD or interface. Check, that hdd is master.

7. kristianlee

kristianlee What's a Dremel?

I would recommend going down the testing route before you look at upgrading the BIOS of either the drive or laptop. I find it hard to believe that a laptop manufacturer would limit the capacity of drives that could be plugged in.

You're best off buying something like http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123998 that and testing the drive first.

8. stuartwood89

Yeah just bought that adaptor from Amazon. Ebuyer was screwing me around with my account and their helpline is closed on Sunday's. I should be getting it in the next few days. Seems that for a free laptop, I'm spending an aweful amount of money on it HA!

9. stuartwood89

Double post sorry...

Managed to get a reply from the Toshiba Support Forum, and I was told that the limitations of the interface for that particular notebook would limit me to a drive that is 120GB or lower. So I'm going to wait until my adaptor arrives so that I can test the new drive and if it works I'll try and sell it on.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

This is part BS and part truth. Sounds like the onboard IDE controller cannot handle larger than 128GB drives (no 48 bit LBA support). Still, the notebook should recognize the disk. Usually there's a jumper setting that artificially limits the size of the disk, but I can't find info on that for your drive.