1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Can you mod Steam games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by lapens, 10 Jan 2010.

1. lapens

lapens Escaped convict...

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this one...

Like the title says, can you mod Steam purchases the same as retail?

As an example, the games I mod are Paradox strategy games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc.) and fps games such as Bf2 and CoD4.

Thanks!

2. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Yes you can As far as i know! The majority of the time anyway

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

In my experience, yeah. I have a list of mods as long as my arm on Silent Hunter 3...

Might not work for every game, some of them have a slightly different file structure compared with the ordinary retail versions. I noticed that Stalker:CS has a completely different structure, so a couple of mods wouldn't work.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Not trying to highjack but anyone tried Fallout 3 modding with the steam version? Bought it on sale as it was cheaper than most other places *sigh*

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The easiest way is to give it a go tbh. If it doesn't work you can always reverse it (as long as you copy the original files).

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Yes. The installer for the 2009 Complete Mod (for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC) didn't have any trouble.

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Actually I still can't find the user.ltx file for STALKER:SoC which is needed for some graphics tweaking, or the folder it's supposed to be in, but that may be my own incompetence. It's definitely moved from where it should be.

On the whole there isn't much trouble using mods with steam games, they don't lock things any further down than the developer has already.

8. lapens

lapens Escaped convict...

Excellent - that sounds positive then. Just a bit worried as I've been getting into mods lately and I prefer to purchase my games through Steam now.

Looks like BFBC2 will be a Steam purchase then! (I've got a pretty good feeling mod tools will be released down the track - fingers crossed).

9. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

If you're on 7 it's here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\stalker-shoc rather than where you expect in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\STALKER-SHOC\

10. Bede

Bede Minimodder

On Vista, but that may still hold true, thanks :) I think a further problem of mine is that I have moved some of the Documents sub-directories to another drive, making things a little complex :s

11. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I shall answer with a picture :lol:

This is a screenshot from my steam fallout3:
    [​IMG]
    :D

Basically most game mods will work, usually the only thing you have to do is manually change the location to the game folder in your steam directory rather than the program files location most installers will default to.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2010
  12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Thanks lol, FO3 only just DL'd via steam, guess I shall get checking out the mods then :D

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

There loads of UI / graphics mods to try, but for gameplay i'd reccomend these two especially:
    Amplified cripple effects - does what it says on the tin, makes the entire combat system a great deal more tactical.
    Triage mod - perfect companion to the above mod, makes it a lot harder to heal wounds in the field.

It's great fun when combat goes horribly wrong and you're left trying to hobble out of a mutant infested area when you can hardly walk or see :D