1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I fold on 5870+9800 using just the 9800?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by tommythetim, 11 Jan 2010.

1. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

I already posted this in the graphics section but got no reply.
    I have a 5870 and a 9800gt for physX. As the 9800 sits doing nothing most of the time, can i fold using just the 9800gt?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I think it may get confused with the drivers but it's worth a try. You'll probably need to use the -gpu 1 flag to get it to use the 9800

3. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Certainly worth a try. You may have to set up a client -gpu 0 but not fold on it, and use -gpu 1 to force folding onto the 9800gt. It's sometimes difficult to tell which GPU Windows (I'm assuming you use Windows) picks up as the primary card.

4. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

physX does not work if you have an ATI Video card installed (last time i checked)

these are the commands (need to mack sure the Nvida CUDA and ATI CAL files in its working directory for Both folding clients)
    -gpu 0 -forcegpu r_600 (not sure what the flag is as i do not use ATI for folding yet)
    -gpu 1 -forcegpu nvidia_g80

5. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

It does with a patch

Tried doing this but no joy, the client starts but when you press select display in system tray the box just disapears.

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

The display option is known to be very buggy, and to dramatically lower PPD. Heaven knows what it would do in a mixed setup like yours - ah, yes, you have just described it :blush:

Avoid using the display option and use FahMon (3rd party app) to monitor yor progress.